Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Oct 27th 2013, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

mrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant future
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by fulwood
Are you heading back to UK Mrs. Bucket? Are you still working at same place? Been in few times but don't see you. Congrats on sale of house.
Hi Fulwood, sent you a pm a bit earlier, hopefully it did not get lost.

Amanda
Old Oct 27th 2013, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

mrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mrs Bucket
Hi Fulwood, sent you a pm a bit earlier, hopefully it did not get lost.

Amanda
Fulwood, It did not go through so sent another x
Old Oct 27th 2013, 7:30 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Ridiculously horrible right now. First contract one day after listing was very low and it was a first and final offer. Second contract is working but on shakey ground. Offer is reasonable and they are in the ten day option period so it puts other potential buyers only able to put in a back up offer. Deadline is midnight tomorrow. MLS # 12039531 if you would like to check it out ;-)
Thanks for asking.
Still going pretty fast then, no waiting and keeping the house claen and ready for months on end.

Originally Posted by mrs Bucket
Celticspirit, we have just sold our house, had a really good offer, inspection went well, then he decided he was going to get a better mortgage rate offer which delayed the appraisal by two, so when it did appraise is came in $10000 less than what he offered. We think it was the agents tactic of making sure he got the house because of his so inflated offer. Anyway we close on Monday so offer being accepted to closing just under 6 weeks. Would have been sooner but we were not ready to go before the end of October. Good luck x
Same happened to us this summer, new tactic from Real estate agents, high offer (over asking) to make sure the house is theres, that comes down when the bank appraisal comes in. We still got more than we had thought we'd get so it worked out in the end.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 4:10 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Celticspirit, is this an iPhone 5s that is ready for the UK? Unlocked, I think it is called. How do you buy one that is unlocked and from where?

I need to get a phone suitable for the UK - a smartphone, that is.
Mobiles and their plans are marvelously cheap in the UK, especially compared to the extortionate rates charged by US carriers.

This is one part of a UK move I would not even worry myself with.

Last month, my husband and I walked into an O2 store and got a basic phone for 5 quid. Added £10 pay as you go and ..... boom, done. (BTW they also loaded up more PAYG on a phone we bought from them 2 years ago.) I'm sure you can do the same in Scotland from any number of wireless carriers. You'll then have a phone on you until later on and (when you have the more important bits of your life worked out), you can decide on a nicer phone with a different plan.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 5:05 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
Mobiles and their plans are marvelously cheap in the UK, especially compared to the extortionate rates charged by US carriers.

This is one part of a UK move I would not even worry myself with.

Last month, my husband and I walked into an O2 store and got a basic phone for 5 quid. Added £10 pay as you go and ..... boom, done. (BTW they also loaded up more PAYG on a phone we bought from them 2 years ago.) I'm sure you can do the same in Scotland from any number of wireless carriers. You'll then have a phone on you until later on and (when you have the more important bits of your life worked out), you can decide on a nicer phone with a different plan.
I got a free 4G iPhone plus a £15.50 per month contract (24 months) from these guys:

http://www.chitterchatter.co.uk/

Found them via moneysavingexpert.com - always a useful resource.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 5:55 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I got a free 4G iPhone plus a £15.50 per month contract (24 months) from these guys:

We went to AT&T last weekend to see about upgrading just ONE of our phones to a smartphone. Were told it would be an extra $30 per month just for the phone, which would up the bill to $100 and some change per month.

I the cheaper service in the UK.

In case my posts are confusing people, we are still living in the US. We were back in the UK last month for a visit.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone already over here in the UK -------- Are you all ready for Hurricane George that strikes tonight!!! keep safe!!!! take care!!!!
Rodney.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 7:00 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi everyone already over here in the UK -------- Are you all ready for Hurricane George that strikes tonight!!! keep safe!!!! take care!!!!
Rodney.
For a change, Scotland isn't in the line of fire.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira

That is amazing!! I pay through the nose here in the US.

Maybe I shouldn't buy a phone before I leave.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 7:48 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Hi Sally I Just dug up this old post of yours, quite funny really, but alas still true,
Its a really interesting subject this class distinction thing that we seem to have in England, its been like this since I was a child, but I must say things have improved a lot, but down south it still is hard to find anyone with a northern accent, and I bet living in the north would be quite the same, very small amount of southerners,
Yes, although we do have some transplants in the posher towns like Ilkley and Harrogate and we soon whip them into shape

I just checked in after ages away and it was lovely to see you still here Rodney. I hope everyone else is well.

Winter is coming fast here in the Pennines but life has never been better. Love my neighbours, love my village and love my life. I've been inspired to start painting and drawing again and have even been invited to participate in an exhibition of Yorkshire artists in November. It won't pay the bills, but it's a dream I've had for a long time, so I'm thrilled.

One thing I did want to say to people who are returning is that if you work at rekindling old relationships, it will pay off over time. I struggled when I got back to reconnect with some of my oldest friends, but I've found that you just have to keep extending invitations and keep building new memories together. Over time, conversation gets easier and suddenly you realize it's not an effort anymore. But it does take time.

As for the hurricane - we can feel it whipping up. I have the woodburner on, a bottle of wine open and a curry bubbling in a pan, so we're all set.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
We went to AT&T last weekend to see about upgrading just ONE of our phones to a smartphone. Were told it would be an extra $30 per month just for the phone, which would up the bill to $100 and some change per month.

I the cheaper service in the UK.

In case my posts are confusing people, we are still living in the US. We were back in the UK last month for a visit.
I've been with ATT from the start, a loyal customer of 18 years and dont like to play the games...

I wanted a smartphone, ATT&T offered me the same as any other customer walking in the door, the price was $100 per month for "Limited Service" plus the cost of a phone, I put the idea on hold... 10 years at $100 a month is $12.000 at todays rates plus the cost of the phone, thats truly insane, Who said "Talk is cheap"?...

T mobile came up with the idea of buying your own phone plus $50 per month unlimited use on a no contract basis so thats what we went with, Yes its still a ton of money but I have to have a phone for my business...

I almost went with Virgin but T mobile had a Samsung model that had a better customer service rating...

I was over in the Uk last month too, Loved it...

My inlaws laugh when they see how we are getting taken by the cell phone companies, they have the same stuff for pennies on the dollar, we are fools/suckers and these companies know it...
Old Oct 27th 2013, 7:55 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Yes, although we do have some transplants in the posher towns like Ilkley and Harrogate and we soon whip them into shape

I just checked in after ages away and it was lovely to see you still here Rodney. I hope everyone else is well.

Winter is coming fast here in the Pennines but life has never been better. Love my neighbours, love my village and love my life. I've been inspired to start painting and drawing again and have even been invited to participate in an exhibition of Yorkshire artists in November. It won't pay the bills, but it's a dream I've had for a long time, so I'm thrilled.

One thing I did want to say to people who are returning is that if you work at rekindling old relationships, it will pay off over time. I struggled when I got back to reconnect with some of my oldest friends, but I've found that you just have to keep extending invitations and keep building new memories together. Over time, conversation gets easier and suddenly you realize it's not an effort anymore. But it does take time.

As for the hurricane - we can feel it whipping up. I have the woodburner on, a bottle of wine open and a curry bubbling in a pan, so we're all set.
I thought of you twice this week, Sally. First, BC was on the front page of my Time magazine.

Then today, I read about a new term for those who debate whether BC's talents are overrated. It's called "Cumberbitching"!
Old Oct 27th 2013, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons

So did you get a car with traction for the snow yet?
Old Oct 27th 2013, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney.
I walked to Torquay's harbour this morning in lovely sunshine, but it was very windy for a few hours.

However so far this evening it is quite calm albeit with some rain. There are two tall protected trees outside where I live, and they are hardly moving in the slight breeze.

I'm wondering if we're in the calm before the storm . . .
Old Oct 27th 2013, 9:05 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney.
Although I don't think we are to feel the worst of the storm, I took some precautions yesterday by storing some garden items in the shed. I usually park under some rather large trees, but I have left my car in the open, just in case. Hope it will not be as bad as predicted, especially in the south.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.