Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Oct 23rd 2013, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Important memorabilia......Neiman Marcus pics of my kids.....tons.....there is no house in the UK could hold my pics.....so with the big Salvation Army pick up yesterday.....when the bell rang.....I raced around my hallway and took ALL of them out of the pile......kids live in NYC small apartments...don't want them....there's a lot of agony associated with parting of important "stuff "
Celtic, just seeing this now--I can so relate! This is why people say to scan them all and put them on CDs etc, but I like physical pictures in real albums (even if I haven't finished the albums and many pix are still in shoeboxes!!

yes, lots of agony.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Amen, not to mention lots of snobs* and a lack of community spirit.

* Not saying all southerners are snobs obviously, but there's a sizable element. Whenever I read the comment sections of articles about the north in national newspapers, I realize that the south is filled with people who have ever been north of Watford and who are convinced that all of the north (plus Scotland and Wales) looks like Coronation Street, only more grim. I swear they think we stagger around half-starved, holding out our cloth caps in the hopes of a penny or two, which we will of course immediately spend on beer, fags and lottery tickets (if a violent hoodie doesn't steal it first. )
Hi Sally I Just dug up this old post of yours, quite funny really, but alas still true,
Its a really interesting subject this class distinction thing that we seem to have in England, its been like this since I was a child, but I must say things have improved a lot, but down south it still is hard to find anyone with a northern accent, and I bet living in the north would be quite the same, very small amount of southerners,
Here in Pompey I see more people from other countries then years ago when all you would see were born and bred pompeyites,
I was watching a program on BBC2 last night about modern day Japan, they pointed out that the whole country has very little Immigrants living there, Just born and bread Japanese, its always been a policy over there for the government to deter any large amounts of immigration, they went to visit a large hospital and they interviewed a Filipino male nurse, he had been living in Japan for 4 years, he was in his early 20,s and he said when he first came there he couldn't speak a word of Japanese, he learned quickly how to speak and read Japanese, and he was a fully trained R.N. back home in the Filipines but he had to take an examination in Japan to be able to work as a nurse in Japan, and the written exam was all in the Japanese language, Just makes you think, what a remarkable young man he is, he was the only non japanese employee in that hospital too,
And they were showing all these fit and young looking pensioners in there 80,s & 90,s at a gym working out!!! they said that the government really looks after there old people, even more so then the UK, and they all have plenty of money to spend, but they said that the older population is getting too large now, they said that Japan has the longest life expectancy in the world, with the average age for a man at 88 and older for a Woman, but they said that there are 50,000 pensioners there that are over the age of 100, ----- me Mum heard that and she said ----- well there's hope for me then
the big problem though is that new births are really taking a nose dive, 25% less babies born then just 10 years ago, they said the new generation of young men are mostly Nerdy types and that they prefer a virtual girl friend rather then a REAL WOMAN
Old Oct 26th 2013, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi Sally I Just dug up this old post of yours, quite funny really, but alas still true,
Its a really interesting subject this class distinction thing that we seem to have in England, its been like this since I was a child, but I must say things have improved a lot, but down south it still is hard to find anyone with a northern accent, and I bet living in the north would be quite the same, very small amount of southerners,
Here in Pompey I see more people from other countries then years ago when all you would see were born and bred pompeyites,
I was watching a program on BBC2 last night about modern day Japan, they pointed out that the whole country has very little Immigrants living there, Just born and bread Japanese, its always been a policy over there for the government to deter any large amounts of immigration, they went to visit a large hospital and they interviewed a Filipino male nurse, he had been living in Japan for 4 years, he was in his early 20,s and he said when he first came there he couldn't speak a word of Japanese, he learned quickly how to speak and read Japanese, and he was a fully trained R.N. back home in the Filipines but he had to take an examination in Japan to be able to work as a nurse in Japan, and the written exam was all in the Japanese language, Just makes you think, what a remarkable young man he is, he was the only non japanese employee in that hospital too,
And they were showing all these fit and young looking pensioners in there 80,s & 90,s at a gym working out!!! they said that the government really looks after there old people, even more so then the UK, and they all have plenty of money to spend, but they said that the older population is getting too large now, they said that Japan has the longest life expectancy in the world, with the average age for a man at 88 and older for a Woman, but they said that there are 50,000 pensioners there that are over the age of 100, ----- me Mum heard that and she said ----- well there's hope for me then
the big problem though is that new births are really taking a nose dive, 25% less babies born then just 10 years ago, they said the new generation of young men are mostly Nerdy types and that they prefer a virtual girl friend rather then a REAL WOMAN
Hi Rod! Not like me then! I prefer a real woman!!!
Old Oct 26th 2013, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I got a notice that my new iphone 5s is on its way from China.
Old Oct 26th 2013, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I got a notice that my new iphone 5s is on its way from China.
Got mine in gold two weeks ago....LOVE IT!
Old Oct 26th 2013, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

How is it going on selling your house?
Old Oct 27th 2013, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Celticspirit, is this an iPhone 5s that is ready for the UK? Unlocked, I think it is called. How do you buy one that is unlocked and from where?

I need to get a phone suitable for the UK - a smartphone, that is.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

How is it going on selling your house?
Ridiculously horrible right now. First contract one day after listing was very low and it was a first and final offer. Second contract is working but on shakey ground. Offer is reasonable and they are in the ten day option period so it puts other potential buyers only able to put in a back up offer. Deadline is midnight tomorrow. MLS # 12039531 if you would like to check it out ;-)
Thanks for asking.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by windsong
Celticspirit, is this an iPhone 5s that is ready for the UK? Unlocked, I think it is called. How do you buy one that is unlocked and from where?

Bought it unlocked on ebay (paid too much) and AT&T (my carrier) changed out the SIM card which was t-mobile. When I get to the UK I have to pick a carrier and they will insert their own SIM card.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Celticspirit. I'm a nosy bugger and tried to upload your MLS listing but couldn't find it. I really hope it sells. that 10 day wait is a long time especially if other good offers come in..
Old Oct 27th 2013, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by windsong

I'm getting mine through Tmobile. They cost less per month and you can cancel after a few months providing you have paid it off. It is unlocked! Verify this.

I took my old iPhone 3 to England this summer and went to Tesco and they took out my chip and put one of theirs in the phone and I was good to go. When I came back I did the reverse. Easy pezzy! On the other hand my daughter made arrangements with AT&T to use her phone over there and she told me when she got back they billed her 500 dollars
Old Oct 27th 2013, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm getting mine through Tmobile. They cost less per month and you can cancel after a few months providing you have paid it off. It is unlocked! Verify this.

I took my old iPhone 3 to England this summer and went to Tesco and they took out my chip and put one of theirs in the phone and I was good to go. When I came back I did the reverse. Easy pezzy! On the other hand my daughter made arrangements with AT&T to use her phone over there and she told me when she got back they billed her 500 dollars
Sounds like a good deal :-) I no longer on contract as I didn't purchase the phone there....just month to month.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

mrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant future

Ridiculously horrible right now. First contract one day after listing was very low and it was a first and final offer. Second contract is working but on shakey ground. Offer is reasonable and they are in the ten day option period so it puts other potential buyers only able to put in a back up offer. Deadline is midnight tomorrow. MLS # 12039531 if you would like to check it out ;-)
Thanks for asking.
Celticspirit, we have just sold our house, had a really good offer, inspection went well, then he decided he was going to get a better mortgage rate offer which delayed the appraisal by two, so when it did appraise is came in $10000 less than what he offered. We think it was the agents tactic of making sure he got the house because of his so inflated offer. Anyway we close on Monday so offer being accepted to closing just under 6 weeks. Would have been sooner but we were not ready to go before the end of October. Good luck x
Old Oct 27th 2013, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Are you heading back to UK Mrs. Bucket? Are you still working at same place? Been in few times but don't see you. Congrats on sale of house.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 4:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mrs Bucket
Celticspirit, we have just sold our house, had a really good offer, inspection went well, then he decided he was going to get a better mortgage rate offer which delayed the appraisal by two, so when it did appraise is came in $10000 less than what he offered. We think it was the agents tactic of making sure he got the house because of his so inflated offer. Anyway we close on Monday so offer being accepted to closing just under 6 weeks. Would have been sooner but we were not ready to go before the end of October. Good luck x
Congratulations.....wonderful news for you :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.