Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jun 11th 2013, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
See my previous post, #7493 in answer to your question on this very topic: 'When I came back almost 3 years ago, I brought travellers checks with me and the bank in the US had to raid their supplies - some of the checks were very, very old! I took them to Thomas Cook at the first opportunity and had them exchanged and put on a GBP card, then I used that to pay for whatever I wanted to - one set of charges, one exchange rate instead of going place to place to find a deal. You need a photo ID to get the card, such as your passport, and the card is not linked to your bank account. You can also change travellers checks at a Post Office - they do not charge commission for doing that, but do not, to the best of my knowledge, offer the same Cash Card scheme as Thomas Cooks.
http://www.whichwaytopay.com/compare...ds-summary.asp
I am not advocating the use of any of these cards, as my only experience is with the one I bought from Thomas Cook.
http://www.thomascook.com/travel-mon...el-money-card/

You can also check your balance at any ATM machine, as well as withdraw cash from an ATM machine using the card.

Happy travelling! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...lies/smile.gif'
Were your travelers checks from Thomas Cook?
Old Jun 11th 2013, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Were your travelers checks from Thomas Cook?
No they were from my US bank and I think they were American Express....
Old Jun 12th 2013, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
No they were from my US bank and I think they were American Express....
Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=cheers;10752279]
Originally Posted by Englishmum
Do you mean to bring money as a tourist?

Yes

The most practical way these days is to use an ATM. (I understand that Bank of America account holders pay no charges if they use Barclays Bank ATMs, also they're commonly called 'Cashpoints' in the UK). You will probably see some symbols on the reverse of your ATM card and you will almost certainly spot one of them on the British ATMs. They have ATMs at LHR when you go into the arrivals hall and at all of their terminals to the best of my knowledge.

[/COLOR]
I don't know anyone who uses traveller's cheques these days and as far as I know, even American Express now issues a 'pre-loaded' TC card. It's probably only worthwhile if one doesn't have a bank account.

Besides the dollar losing value in the last week we also have to pay different fees. Foreign exchange fee 3%, cashpoint fee and the the exchange rate they use can be different than market rate.

We quit BofA several month ago after they took money out of our account. So no good there.
I can get travelers checks but will I lose money when I cash them?

I agree that the Atm is a good way but I'm gun shy after our experience of the bank raiding our account. See Cyprus isn't the only ones that had it happen to them.
A few years ago my inlaws brought travelers checks from UK to USA, we/they had the hardest time cashing them, some of the bank tellers had no clue what Travellers checks were, Im not kidding...

Inlaws now bring cash, I dont like carrying that much Cash, Id more likely go the ATM route...
Old Jun 12th 2013, 2:00 am
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

When I go back I don't bother with cash, usually I just take nylons and chocolate
Old Jun 12th 2013, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coastieexpat
When I go back I don't bother with cash, usually I just take nylons and chocolate
Old Jun 12th 2013, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Trip to St Ives, Cornwall:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandw...7634077921778/
Old Jun 12th 2013, 2:19 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney, aren't you responsible for reminding me to buy lottery tickets today?
Old Jun 12th 2013, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Rodney, aren't you responsible for reminding me to buy lottery tickets today?
Hell dunroving I had no idea that 8888 was even getting near ------ listen if you have not done so already rush out and buy £20 worth of lotto tickets £5 in thunderball tickets and 3 euromillions tickets £2 each ---- total £31
dont forget the number 8 is the chinese lucky number ---- and you have 4 of em
Thank goodness you remembered, good luck and good fortune and let me know how you got on!!!!
Rodney.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I could never remember the poetry we were supposed to learn either.
That and dates in History class, even the teacher said he didn't know how I managed it, but every date I put on a test would be one year or so off.
I only remember one date I was taught in history class ---- 1066 battle of hastings

Last edited by jasper123; Jun 12th 2013 at 3:05 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

I remember my dad's car license plate number, the name of all 30 kids I went through secondary school with (in my class), my first girlfriend's phone number, the formula for a standard deviation (theoretical and computational) - but damned if I can remember what I had for breakfast this morning!
Old Jun 12th 2013, 3:45 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
I only remember one date I was taught in history class ---- 1066 battle of hastings
Same here!
Old Jun 12th 2013, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
The Great Fire of London in 1666 is easy to remember, just one digit from 1066.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
The Great Fire of London in 1666 is easy to remember, just one digit from 1066.
yes but.... which digit would be my challenge.

I'm one for course work assessment rather than final exam, I can always work through problems but can't recall facts out of blue, especially facts that are just out there with little relevance to the subject in hand. I'm useless at pub quizzes and other trivia knowledge.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

I remember my dad's car license plate number, the name of all 30 kids I went through secondary school with (in my class), my first girlfriend's phone number, the formula for a standard deviation (theoretical and computational) - but damned if I can remember what I had for breakfast this morning!

Funny how we remember things from way back in our past forever!!!!
Ive always known my S.S. number by heart of course,
my one and only cats name, and hes been dead for 58 years, all my Jobs I had in Oz, and all the Jobs I had in Canada, and all the Jobs I had in the U.S. and my old first phone number I had in Nevada in 1977 and zip code, and address, ----- and I REMEMBER MY FIRST GIRL FRIEND ----- Sylvia Yates, I was 15, ----- and I do remember what I had for breakfast this morning ---- 2 weetabix, 1 shredded wheat, and half cup of whole wheat muesli all in same bowl, spoonful sugar and a handful of blueberries, covered in milk with a sliced banana on top!!!! Hmmmm lovely!!!

Last edited by jasper123; Jun 12th 2013 at 9:22 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.