Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jun 10th 2013, 3:21 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by jasper123
Cardie, WOW I cant believe how lucky you are either, good for you, they must think such a lot of you at your company,
So when you come back home your work again allows you lots of travel all over the U.K. wow I just think that is fantastic, and you even get to go back to the States now and then you lucky thing, can I get a Job with your firm ? can you put a good word in for me ----- Im honest and reliable and a very hard worker
Ha haaa. I know of a vacancy in Colorado
Old Jun 10th 2013, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Did you all see this?

http://britishexpats.com/articles/fi...count-privacy/
Old Jun 10th 2013, 8:17 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Yes, especially the bit that says "assuming you’re not a major criminal evading tax or money laundering and you’re just a normal British expat, then the exchange of account and personal information shouldn’t adversely affect you greatly."
Old Jun 10th 2013, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
Ha haaa. I know of a vacancy in Colorado
Very funny Ha Ha Ha
Old Jun 10th 2013, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I can't get my head around how people remember and state their phone numbers here. The full number usually includes 11 numbers. However, depending on the area code, it might be stated as 4-3-4, or 5-3-3. For example, Glasgow is 0141, the area of the city might be 548, then you get the specific number, XXXX, so 0141-548-3442 (no, I'm not putting my number on a public forum!) However, the town/village I live has a 5-digit prefix code. For example, Dumbarton is 01389, so a person might state or write their number as 01389-345-995 (or even 01389-345995 and expect you to remember 6 numbers).

I recall reading that people's brains can remember numbers most efficiently in clusters of 3, or 4 (maybe that's why we group numbers in 1,000's).

I tend to memorise mobile numbers as 5-3-3 (07783-886-237). But when I tell someone my number they seem to want to reformat it into something like 0778-388-6237 ... confusing! [that's not my number, if you haven't already guessed)]
I know that this is not directly related to what your talking about ------- but
its interesting how some people can remember dozens of phone numbers, there all in there head, and some people like me Hmmm it took me 5 years to remember my own phone number in Vegas and I never remembered my cell number, well I never called myself either, lived alone --- nobody to pick up the phone!!! but Ive always known my Mums number, probably cause shes lived in same house with same number for 47 years
I used to work with a woman who could rattle out a dozen or more phone numbers from the top of her head, and if you told her your number it would be automatically programed in her brain for all of time, she never would have to write numbers down, I met several people like that in the states over the years, and they have all been women, Hmmmm what does that say about us men
It brings to mind the Brockovitch movie played by Julia Roberts who memorized hundreds of names and numbers of people AND all there whole family too, WOW what a brain Huh!!!
Old Jun 10th 2013, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

its interesting how some people can remember dozens of phone numbers, there all in there head, and some people like me Hmmm it took me 5 years to remember my own phone number in Vegas and I never remembered my cell number, well I never called myself either, lived alone --- nobody to pick up the phone!!! but Ive always known my Mums number, probably cause shes lived in same house with same number for 47 years
I used to work with a woman who could rattle out a dozen or more phone numbers from the top of her head, and if you told her your number it would be automatically programed in her brain for all of time, she never would have to write numbers down, I met several people like that in the states over the years, and they have all been women, Hmmmm what does that say about us men
It brings to mind the Brockovitch movie played by Julia Roberts who memorized hundreds of names and numbers of people AND all there whole family too, WOW what a brain Huh!!!
When I was driver for Greyhound Bus Lines there was driver there who use to phone home to talk to his dog and tell the dog he was on the way home.

In school we use have to stand up in front of the class and have recite from memory poetry. I learned then I couldn't remember things. That was the end of my acting career!
Old Jun 11th 2013, 1:19 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
When I was driver for Greyhound Bus Lines there was driver there who use to phone home to talk to his dog and tell the dog he was on the way home.

In school we use have to stand up in front of the class and have recite from memory poetry. I learned then I couldn't remember things. That was the end of my acting career!
I could never remember the poetry we were supposed to learn either.
That and dates in History class, even the teacher said he didn't know how I managed it, but every date I put on a test would be one year or so off.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I could never remember the poetry we were supposed to learn either.
That and dates in History class, even the teacher said he didn't know how I managed it, but every date I put on a test would be one year or so off.
Back in those days they didn't get involved in the childs learning disabilities.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 8:57 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I remember my dad's car license plate number, the name of all 30 kids I went through secondary school with (in my class), my first girlfriend's phone number, the formula for a standard deviation (theoretical and computational) - but damned if I can remember what I had for breakfast this morning!
Old Jun 11th 2013, 9:32 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I remember my dad's car license plate number, the name of all 30 kids I went through secondary school with (in my class), my first girlfriend's phone number, the formula for a standard deviation (theoretical and computational) - but damned if I can remember what I had for breakfast this morning!
That's very coomon in the early stages of dementia, recent things are forgotten, but the long term stuff stays, which is why they can remember the names of people in photos from childhood.. ermm,, now what else was I going to say.. damned if I can remember.. but my first car reg number was FBC 253C, 40 years ago..
Old Jun 11th 2013, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Some of you have had experience with bringing money to the UK. What is the best way so as to avoid fees. Post office, American Express travelers checks??

Cheers
Old Jun 11th 2013, 7:45 pm
Ping-ponger

Some of you have had experience with bringing money to the UK. What is the best way so as to avoid fees. Post office, American Express travelers checks??

Cheers
XE.com gets rave reviews on here.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 8:24 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Cheers
Do you mean to bring money as a tourist?

The most practical way these days is to use an ATM. (I understand that Bank of America account holders pay no charges if they use Barclays Bank ATMs, also they're commonly called 'Cashpoints' in the UK). You will probably see some symbols on the reverse of your ATM card and you will almost certainly spot one of them on the British ATMs. They have ATMs at LHR when you go into the arrivals hall and at all of their terminals to the best of my knowledge.

Definitely contact your bank and credit card company to let them know you will be in the UK or they may block your card!

I don't know anyone who uses traveller's cheques these days and as far as I know, even American Express now issues a 'pre-loaded' TC card. It's probably only worthwhile if one doesn't have a bank account.

PS. Most ATMs in the UK only require the input of 4 PIN numbers. If you use 5 PIN numbers you may need to check with your bank and see if you can find a workaround.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Englishmum;10752190]Do you mean to bring money as a tourist?

Yes

The most practical way these days is to use an ATM. (I understand that Bank of America account holders pay no charges if they use Barclays Bank ATMs, also they're commonly called 'Cashpoints' in the UK). You will probably see some symbols on the reverse of your ATM card and you will almost certainly spot one of them on the British ATMs. They have ATMs at LHR when you go into the arrivals hall and at all of their terminals to the best of my knowledge.

[/COLOR]
I don't know anyone who uses traveller's cheques these days and as far as I know, even American Express now issues a 'pre-loaded' TC card. It's probably only worthwhile if one doesn't have a bank account.

Besides the dollar losing value in the last week we also have to pay different fees. Foreign exchange fee 3%, cashpoint fee and the the exchange rate they use can be different than market rate.

We quit BofA several month ago after they took money out of our account. So no good there.
I can get travelers checks but will I lose money when I cash them?

I agree that the Atm is a good way but I'm gun shy after our experience of the bank raiding our account. See Cyprus isn't the only ones that had it happen to them.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
See my previous post, #7493 in answer to your question on this very topic: 'When I came back almost 3 years ago, I brought travellers checks with me and the bank in the US had to raid their supplies - some of the checks were very, very old! I took them to Thomas Cook at the first opportunity and had them exchanged and put on a GBP card, then I used that to pay for whatever I wanted to - one set of charges, one exchange rate instead of going place to place to find a deal. You need a photo ID to get the card, such as your passport, and the card is not linked to your bank account. You can also change travellers checks at a Post Office - they do not charge commission for doing that, but do not, to the best of my knowledge, offer the same Cash Card scheme as Thomas Cooks.
http://www.whichwaytopay.com/compare...ds-summary.asp

I am not advocating the use of any of these cards, as my only experience is with the one I bought from Thomas Cook.
http://www.thomascook.com/travel-mon...el-money-card/

You can also check your balance at any ATM machine, as well as withdraw cash from an ATM machine using the card.

Happy travelling! '

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.