Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jun 7th 2013, 9:34 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by trottytrue
lf1..I think you have truly made yourself at home. Joining the Choir that must be so much fun. My friend who lives outside Chester is in a Choir and said although she doesnt have that great a voice she really enjoys being part of a group that sing for fun. She is also part of a bowling green team.

I took the trip to Bamburgh and Rothbury with you what pretty places what a shame you didnt have your camera . I even visited the grave of Grace Darling. Amazing what you learn through other peoples travels. I even took a look at sheltered housing in Bamburgh not cheap but very nice. There are twelve rooms varying from 200 to 420 sq ft, with a monthly fee of between £900 to £1,650. With that you get all your food and help thats per month. No pets allowed.

Its post's like yours that truly give a picture of what life at home can be just a normal regular life what fun and how interesting.

You really have the life I want.......
Trotty,

I am like your friend, I don't have a particularly good voice, but I do enjoy the choir and I like that I am learning to read music. I did have my camera on the days we went to Bamburgh and Rothbury, so once I load them onto the computer I'll try to upload them, if they are any good.

Although we are just about 45 mins from Bamburgh, I really want to spend one or two nights there, especially if it is wet and windy. We still haven't visited the castle, as every time we have been there the weather has been lovely, not always warm, but sunny and perfect walking weather. So, a visit to the castle on a rainy day sounds perfect to me. We did visit the church and the graveyard where Grace Darling is buried. It is a lovely church and the setting is beautiful.

I hope life is treating you and hubby well.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
So which shop do you recommend?
I have these choices
Tesco Extra
Morrisons
Asda

Cheers
OK ignore me, see if I care.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Shops: Depends what you are after - ASDA is the UK version of Walmart, so no to that on philosophical grounds. Morrisons is large, and has a wide array of merchandise. Tesco Extra I don't know about - I shop at Sainsburys..... Good enough, Cheers?
Old Jun 7th 2013, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Shops: Depends what you are after - ASDA is the UK version of Walmart, so no to that on philosophical grounds. Morrisons is large, and has a wide array of merchandise. Tesco Extra I don't know about - I shop at Sainsburys..... Good enough, Cheers?
I think Tesco is a huge warehouse type operation.
One thing about Walmart. They hire pensioners.
I'll see if there is a Sainsburys close by.
Thank you.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm sure someone has told me this before but.....here when you use a credit card you sign for the amount but in Britain do you have use a pin number?
We only use a pin number for debit cards.
We only sign if it over a certain amount, for example if it is over $50.
This is the correct forum, right?

Cheers
Old Jun 7th 2013, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

I know you werent talking to me but I like Morrisons over Asda and Tesco, they support local farmers when possible, their little cafe's are good too.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers OK I know u were not talking to me either but I like Sainsburys over morrisons but Tesco over sainsburys but lidls over the co-op ----- but its all according really, ----- you see its all together different here, its not like America where it really dont matter what supermarket you go to you will basically find every product your looking for under that one roof of your choice, ------ but here its totaly different, for example I have to visit three or four shops every week to buy my shopping, like a third of the products we like are only available at iceland, another third roughly are available at morrisons and the other third is usually split up between lidl and co-op ------- so you really do have to shop around over here for your food and everything else too, and some things I cant even get at these 4 stores, so like I now only go to my high street butchers shop for my lambs liver,
So this is how I see the difference in doing your food shopping in UK v US
In US as I said I used to go to my favorite store and could buy it all there, the only reason you would shop around other stores really is price and taking advantage of all the junk mail offers that come into your mail box every week,
BUT here in the UK its a totaly different ball game/kettle of fish,
Hear you shop around at different stores simply cause you cant get everything you like in just one store, unlike the states, ------ over here all stores just dont sell it all, ----- but thats not a bad thing really, at least its not if your retired and you have plenty of time on your hands, we old farts look at it as somewhat of an adventure -------- Oh I really do have to get out more
So to some it up I ask myself ---- why is it that you have to shop around so much over here? so Ive maybe solved the puzzle, just maybe could it be that the reason is that over here in UK we just have sooooo many products and also all our own favorite little treats ---- of which for most of us is many, we just have so much variety here. and with all the multitude of delights we have here now ---- it would be impossible to stock it all in one brand supermarket, even one as large as wal-mart/asda

Last edited by jasper123; Jun 8th 2013 at 12:07 am.
Old Jun 8th 2013, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Rodney thanks for the input.
I just looked at Tesco menu this afternoon and it left me wanting because there was too much of everything. I don't like all the packaged sell by date foods. Now I want to go to a small local grocery shop where there is less variety. Good luck, right?
DW was just giving me the list. Milk, bread, chocolate digestives biscuits, orange juice and cereal.
I mentioned those shops because they will be there in Holyhead when we get off the boat (did I tell you we were going by boat) and I also need to get setup with a cell phone right away.

Cheers
Old Jun 8th 2013, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NiHao
I know I would definitely get "homesick" for the US if we moved back to the UK. I've lived here so long (close to 20 years) that although I miss so many things about the UK I would also miss things about here if we left.
Huh 20 years aint nothing, me I was in US for 36 years and cheers 58 years,
Ive been home for two and half years and there is not a single thing that I miss about the States, accept maybe my couple of very good friends that I left behind, but we email and chat on the phone too, so thats OK
Old Jun 8th 2013, 12:36 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney thanks for the input.
I just looked at Tesco menu this afternoon and it left me wanting because there was too much of everything. I don't like all the packaged sell by date foods. Now I want to go to a small local grocery shop where there is less variety. Good luck, right?
DW was just giving me the list. Milk, bread, chocolate digestives biscuits, orange juice and cereal.
I mentioned those shops because they will be there in Holyhead when we get off the boat (did I tell you we were going by boat) and I also need to get setup with a cell phone right away.

Cheers
With a basic list I'd look for Aldi, their prices are good and so are the products. But the don't take credit cards and you have to bring your own bag.
Old Jun 8th 2013, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Ive been home for two and half years and there is not a single thing that I miss about the States, accept maybe my couple of very good friends that I left behind, but we email and chat on the phone too, so thats OK
Cheers and Jasper, I love you guys and you make me feel better about my 20 years away, its just a blink of the eye right?
Old Jun 8th 2013, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
And 37 years here - ouch!!!!!

My SO seems to like Morrisons over there. I don't know one from the other, of course, but it won't be long before I find out.
Old Jun 8th 2013, 10:09 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

23 years away for me and I still enjoy my trips back to the US (usually about two a year, for conferences), but it's highly unlikely I'll go back now (been back in the UK since 2006), even though I get some very good job opportunities there every year.

Most of what I miss is to do with the professionalism in my job and the weather (other stuff too, but those are the biggies - and combined, the additional free time from work and nice weather meant I was out on my bike for hours every week). So although I wouldn't exactly call it homesickness for the US, I definitely miss my lifestyle there and when I go back there and spend time with friends, it still feels like "home".

Re: Shops, Marks & Spencer is a good place if you want to treat yourself to some good quality, Morrison's seems to have the highest ethical standards among the big names.

Our local corner shop was bought up and redeveloped by the Co-Op late last year and has just re-opened about three times the size, and the variety and price (special deals, etc.) seem pretty good for a local store.
Old Jun 8th 2013, 11:02 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure someone has told me this before but.....here when you use a credit card you sign for the amount but in Britain do you have use a pin number?
We only use a pin number for debit cards.
We only sign if it over a certain amount, for example if it is over $50.
This is the correct forum, right?

Cheers
Pin no for credit cards in the UK as well.
Old Jun 8th 2013, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Trotty,

I am like your friend, I don't have a particularly good voice, but I do enjoy the choir and I like that I am learning to read music. I did have my camera on the days we went to Bamburgh and Rothbury, so once I load them onto the computer I'll try to upload them, if they are any good.

Although we are just about 45 mins from Bamburgh, I really want to spend one or two nights there, especially if it is wet and windy. We still haven't visited the castle, as every time we have been there the weather has been lovely, not always warm, but sunny and perfect walking weather. So, a visit to the castle on a rainy day sounds perfect to me. We did visit the church and the graveyard where Grace Darling is buried. It is a lovely church and the setting is beautiful.

I hope life is treating you and hubby well.
I'm dead jealous! PLEASE DO upload the photos, they can't be anything but lovely Another beautiful spot in the Rothbury area you might like to visit is Cragside, the Rhododendrons are absolutely breathtaking. Hoping to get into that neck of the woods for a day while Dad's over here.

We had a day out ourselves this week, had a drive through the Dalby Forest in Yorkshire and meandered through a few villages on the way back. Stopped off in Thornton le Dale for a pot of tea and some delicious sausage rolls, beautiful little spot but quite busy, no photos I'm afraid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.