Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jun 7th 2013, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
I am leaving here on 24 June. Mixed emotions at the moment. The weather's been perfect here in the 70's which doesn't happen very often. We had a wet spring and it's actually quite green. Usually it's into the upper 80's and 90's and turning brown by now. Hopefully it will get hot before I go and I can be happy to leave it behind!

I already have a day out planned with my sister on 27 June to go to the Fashion and Textile Museum in London to see the Kaffe Fassett exhibition.
Cardienscarf.

In my opinion you are leaving one of the nicer states, I lived in Wyoming for 19 years and have been to Colorado many times, places like Winter park, Steamboat springs, Fort Collins, Grand Junction and Denver of course.

The Rockies are beautiful, the Skies cant be beat and the people are wonderful.

Good Luck to you.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Yay...you got it!

It is interesting what some will say about beauty. In the eye of the beholder right? Some people will say 'isn't it beautiful' when looking at some scenery in the US and I have remarked then you will love our rubbish dumps in the UK.

I'm looking forward not backward as to what to expect.

Britain may have changed but I'm looking forward also to the Britain of today where their values have remained the same. What do I mean? They appreciate the beauty of the British landscape and they appreciate the rich culture.

One thing here. I was looking at pictures of Looe, Cornwall yesterday. It seems to have become so tacky with all those 'tee shirt' vendors all over the place. It was a nice quaint village so now we will have to find a new quaint village.

Cheers
Cheers...

Plenty of things have changed and still many things stay the same, I know you are a bit of a Car Nut, wait till you see the cars in the UK, It will blow your mind, Beautiful...
Old Jun 7th 2013, 3:58 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers - Hope you have a great trip. we have been having some lovely weather here, hopefully it will hold until you arrive.

Cardie - I feel for you leaving behind your family. I don't imagine that it is an easy thing to do. My friend is leaving Canada next month and is also leaving her son behind, so I am sure she will have mixed emotions too. Won't be long until you are on this side of the pond and I look forward to hearing all about your return
Old Jun 7th 2013, 4:22 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I have just had the most brilliant week. I have joined two choirs (one being for a one off performance) since I came back and last Saturday
we gave our one off performance. It was a brilliant experience. Had you told me a year ago that I would be singing in a choir, let alone performing Faure's Requiem, I would have called you crazy, but that is exactly what happened. I haven't been in a choir since I was child, so it has been a challenge for me, but one that I have really enjoyed.

The weather has been great so we have been taking advantage of it. On Monday we went off to Bamburgh. I just love it there and find the setting spectacular with the castle standing guard over the beach. Enjoyed a take away lunch in the village of Bamburgh and then walked along the beach for a couple of hours. Returned to the village of Bamburgh for a well deserved ice cream. I have never had much of a sweet tooth, but I am enjoying the ice cream here, it doesn't taste as sweet.

Tuesday was another sunny day, so we went off to Rothbury. Another pretty town/village. I just love seeing all the lovely stone buildings surrounded by the variety of different trees and shrubs. As cheesy as this may sound, it makes my heart sing.

Today, we went up to Peebles. Another lovely town with some lovely views along the way. Only drawback is that I forgot to take my camera with me. Too bad.

It is festival week in our village, so tomorrow night it is the pub quiz, Sunday the local choir is performing and then the rideout takes palce next week. Given the amount of socializing that is planned, I will need to rest up the following week.

Have to go now as cocktails are being served on the terrace (aka the front doorstep)
Old Jun 7th 2013, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Cardienscarf.

In my opinion you are leaving one of the nicer states, I lived in Wyoming for 19 years and have been to Colorado many times, places like Winter park, Steamboat springs, Fort Collins, Grand Junction and Denver of course.

The Rockies are beautiful, the Skies cant be beat and the people are wonderful.

Good Luck to you.
One pleasure of watching older western movies is the scenery of states like Colorado. I visited Colorado, Utah, Wyoming and more and loved the wide open spaces and mountains (I grew up in flat Lincolnshire).

So when I sit and watch the Audie Murphy et.al. afternoon movie (an occasional retirement pleasure) in additional to the action I can enjoy the scenery of places I have visited.
- of course, I also enjoy the scenery around here in nearly flat Norfolk, the prolific hedgerows are bursting with flowers and birdsong now that Spring(?) has finally arrived.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

If1, I loved your update and I'm so glad you are having a good time in the sunny weather.

You made be laugh with "Have to go now as cocktails are being served on the terrace (aka the front doorstep)"

Cardie, you are right about all the little things that make up day to day life.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

So which shop do you recommend?
I have these choices
Tesco Extra
Morrisons
Asda

Cheers
Old Jun 7th 2013, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I am leaving here on 24 June. Mixed emotions at the moment. The weather's been perfect here in the 70's which doesn't happen very often. We had a wet spring and it's actually quite green. Usually it's into the upper 80's and 90's and turning brown by now. Hopefully it will get hot before I go and I can be happy to leave it behind!

I already have a day out planned with my sister on 27 June to go to the Fashion and Textile Museum in London to see the Kaffe Fassett exhibition.
The headline news today in our city is to prepare for the drought conditions this summer. What else is new?
As long as they don't ban showers or flushing the toilets.
It will be 104 tomorrow.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Cardienscarf...... Goodluck....Sounds like you have it all planned for when you get home you will really enjoy doing what you want. I would love to take that trip to the museum in London. In the end its the small things that make life enjoyable. I think having tea with your Mum and going out with your sister will be very special.

America has some beautiful areas I remember when we drove from Florida to California we went through some lovely States. From Kerryville in Texas high country to places in Southern Carolina which have Spanish Moss hanging from their branches. But in the end its whats in the heart that matters. I have a doorstop that has a verse written on it "Home is Where the Heart is", how true.

Cheers...Not long now. I know you will give us a good picture of what you think its going to be very interesting.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

J.JsOH..When we where going home we had Norfolk on our list my friends relatives live their she said its very beautiful. The hedgerows sound beautiful I bought a book on how to bring back hedgerows I was determined when I came home to plant one as they had been ripped out over the years very detrimental to both animal life and the fields. Anyone interested here is a list of plants you need.You can make them as big or as small as you want:

Field Maple
Guelder Rose
Wayfaring Tree
Dog Rose
Common Hawthorn
Blackthorn.

If your interested in reading about the hedgerows the book is called "Hedges Creating Screens and edges" by Averil Bedrich.....Its a very good book, when people are so concerned about the enviroment they need to consider the smaller picture. Ripping out gardens and slapping down concrete paving stones is not the way to go.

I read these books by Elly Griffiths they are murder mysteries and take place around the Norfolk Coast.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

I went to this exhibition on Tuesday! Train from Dawlish to London Waterloo - almost 4 hours - Jubilee line tube - walk through Guy's Hospital grounds to the Museum close by. Then 3 hours at the Museum - cafe with good meals and drinks and great company. Took lots of photos but the lighting is not great so many did not come out as I wanted them to. But a great day seeing the work of my favourite textile designer.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandw...7633956059461/
and
http://ftmlondon.org

You will love the exhibition - and the 27th is when he gives a talk so maybe you will get to meet the man himself!
http://ftmlondon.org/talk-event/even...kaffe-fassett/
Old Jun 7th 2013, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

lf1..I think you have truly made yourself at home. Joining the Choir that must be so much fun. My friend who lives outside Chester is in a Choir and said although she doesnt have that great a voice she really enjoys being part of a group that sing for fun. She is also part of a bowling green team.

I took the trip to Bamburgh and Rothbury with you what pretty places what a shame you didnt have your camera . I even visited the grave of Grace Darling. Amazing what you learn through other peoples travels. I even took a look at sheltered housing in Bamburgh not cheap but very nice. There are twelve rooms varying from 200 to 420 sq ft, with a monthly fee of between £900 to £1,650. With that you get all your food and help thats per month. No pets allowed.

Its post's like yours that truly give a picture of what life at home can be just a normal regular life what fun and how interesting.

You really have the life I want.......
Old Jun 7th 2013, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120..Loved the pictures, somewhere I have a mini dress from the 60's that would fit into that show. Really a beautiful design I just cannot throw it away. The design of buttons on a round cushion what is that. Not the hat. Thankyou for posting them. Did you see any embroidery.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 8:50 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
It such a forgiving mix of materials that it comes out good everytime, even though maybe a little different.
OH's 1970's cookbook says add 6 oz sugar to 6 oz flour & rub in 3 oz marg. Cover over 1lb fruit, bake 350 F ~ 40 mins until fruit soft and crumble crispy.

My variations - cos I like experimenting and being creative;
Cut down on the sugar to taste and use part white and part brown or demerara.
Substitute porridge oat flakes for half the flour.
Use any fat;(reduce if using oats) marg, butter, spread, whatever, even used sunflower oil.
Tinned strawberries goes well in with rhubarb and use some of the juice for rhubarb sweetener.
Nuke the whole thing in microwave for 8 mins or so gets the fruit and the crumble cooked. It's good just like that or if fancy more crispy top then finish in oven for 10 mins or so.

We have it with instant custard or with ice-cream.
I finally made a Rhubarb Crumble. It was quite nice and OH really liked it, but we both agreed that it was a bit sweet. I like your idea of adding the oats. Also, the recipe I used called for sugar to to be sprinkled over the rhubarb. I think I might omit that next time as I like the tartness of the rhubarb vs the sweetness of the topping.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 9:00 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by NiHao
If1, I loved your update and I'm so glad you are having a good time in the sunny weather.

You made be laugh with "Have to go now as cocktails are being served on the terrace (aka the front doorstep)"

Cardie, you are right about all the little things that make up day to day life.
Thank you. Glad you had a chuckle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.