Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Mar 17th 2013, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Well, we did it- we finally went to a Brits Meet-UP. This one was at a British pub for St. Patty's Day. As soon as we got there the first people we met were a Scottish couple from Fife in their early 80s, who have decided to go home for the health care sometime within the next couple of years. It was a relief because I expected us to be the only ones going back.

Turns out they were all a really nice bunch of people - although the fish and chips were not up to par. It'll be nice to have some other Brits to see once in a while when my only Brit friend leaves this year.

Oh and Windsong, I thought of you right away when they said Fife, and then again when the gentleman, Alex (dashingly handsome even at his age) told the OH how well the elderly are treated in the UK.

Last edited by Perth; Mar 17th 2013 at 2:27 am.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 2:58 am
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Well, we did it- we finally went to a Brits Meet-UP. This one was at a British pub for St. Patty's Day. As soon as we got there the first people we met were a Scottish couple from Fife in their early 80s, who have decided to go home for the health care sometime within the next couple of years. It was a relief because I expected us to be the only ones going back.

Turns out they were all a really nice bunch of people - although the fish and chips were not up to par. It'll be nice to have some other Brits to see once in a while when my only Brit friend leaves this year.

Oh and Windsong, I thought of you right away when they said Fife, and then again when the gentleman, Alex (dashingly handsome even at his age) told the OH how well the elderly are treated in the UK.

Awww bless ! Apart from the fish and chips, it sounds like you had a great time. We should just hire a plane for all of us who want to go back and all go at the same time..... LOL
Old Mar 17th 2013, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
All this chat about the English language reminded me of a book I read a few years ago "Watching the English" by Kate Fox. I really enjoyed it.
That's a great book, I'm always recommending it to people. Funny and true and well-researched by a sociologist--but not academically written or jargon-filled--about why the English are the way we are. EG why we say sorry even when it's the other person''s fault. Why we queue so nicely. etc. She decided to test some of this in the filed--by bumping into people on purpose herself and jumping queues---but she's so English that she can't bring herself to do it without a couple of drinks first!

(I know English and British are not synonymous but she does focus on the English and she explains why).
Old Mar 17th 2013, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighSpeedGrandma
Now, no bones about it or sugar coating. HCA's or 'carers' is considered a low paid job here. No idea why, basically Tesco's delivery people are paid more an hour than we are. And we have to go through a lot of training. Health and Safety. Moving and Handling. Safe Handling. And in my case Dementia care and lots of other training. Why we are considered 'low skilled' workers is a mystery to me. And a lot of 'care workers' are given a bad rap because of the low pay, low skill stigma.
It really is not true. It takes a special love of people to be able to do what we do. And there was absolutely NO issue with me being the age I was when I decided to train. Signing up with an agency is a great way to get on the job training. They will teach you so much, then send you out on a 'shadow' with a trained member of staff. What you make of it then when you get out in the field is entirely up to you. I spent a few months doing 'domiciliary' care for people in the community. The care I provided was whatever the 'service user's' care package was combined of. Anything from bathing, toileting, feeding, moving, lifting, shopping for them, cleaning for them, helping them open their meds...a million other things. From that I decided I wanted to do more 'in house' work, ie staying at one place. So I went to a few care homes and helped out, through the agency, covering for absent care home staff.
I have NEVER done this type of work before. It's what we used to call Auxilliary nursing, and I always said I could never ever do it. But they were crying out for staff so I thought I'd give it a try as you get paid while training and if I didn't like it I'd leave.

Over a year later I am as I mentioned before, working at a nursing home and now training for my NVQ 3, (completely skipping the 1 and 2). Paid for by the government. The 'assessor' comes to me at work and assigns tasks which I either research or learn about online or already know through work.

On the news the other day they were talking about making it harder for 'unskilled or untrained' people to become carers, which is what they really need to do. Sooner or later we have to become recognised as skilled workers and start paying us more. . Till then I am staying in this field of work. It's paying the bills. I do more hours than my better paid office worker friends. But I am NOT stressed and they are and I am getting my bills paid and living happily alone in my own little rented flat!
I had better shut up, I am waffling on.
I agree, carers should be paid more, they make a huge difference to the quality of life of an ill or disabled person and need, as you say, many different skills...I hope they change this as discussed, and then maybe more skilled and qualified people might go into it, and allay the shortage as well.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 6:56 am
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
High speed ----- real nice to hear from you again after so long, when did you come home? I didn't think you made the leap across yet !!!!
Rodney.
Rodney! Hi. I came back to the UK in March 2011! I am pretty sure I posted updates last year. Just haven't had a chance to get back on BE till now, but never ever forgot it. This place helped me so much when I was struggling with how to go about things. How are you Rodney?
Old Mar 17th 2013, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=WhoFan63;10607357]
Originally Posted by cheers

I know there are places in the US that unlock phones, but not familiar with any in the UK. I suppose the benefit of the Internet is that you can look up these places...LOL.
There's a shop in most towns, and even some stalls in markets that advertise the service.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 9:02 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds
That's a great book, I'm always recommending it to people. Funny and true and well-researched by a sociologist--but not academically written or jargon-filled--about why the English are the way we are. EG why we say sorry even when it's the other person''s fault. Why we queue so nicely. etc. She decided to test some of this in the filed--by bumping into people on purpose herself and jumping queues---but she's so English that she can't bring herself to do it without a couple of drinks first!

(I know English and British are not synonymous but she does focus on the English and she explains why).
I'm Scottish, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it as I think a lot of what she wrote applies to all of us Brits. I love reading books like that and as you say, it wasn't written in an academic way. I might have to read it again.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool

Yes, Fife is beautiful and is on my list

I know of a British couple here who want to go back, too.Actually his wife is Irish but they have been married all their lives and lived in England, too, so I doubt her being born in Ireland will affect their return but I might be wrong. They have been waiting about five years for the right time to return, i.e. waiting for the housing market to pick up so they don't lose their shirt on the sale of their home.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighSpeedGrandma
Rodney! Hi. I came back to the UK in March 2011! I am pretty sure I posted updates last year. Just haven't had a chance to get back on BE till now, but never ever forgot it. This place helped me so much when I was struggling with how to go about things. How are you Rodney?
Yes Sue I remember now ------- I remember when you left U.S. and went to Hong Kong first to live with your Daughter and her Hubby, he was quite a witty funny person, and made you laugh
And so I dont remember hearing anything after that, I know you said you will be sometime leaving H.K. to go back to U.K. but anyway your home here now and you seem to be doing OK, Im so glad you found a Job and Flat And car etc etc and that you are likeing being back home,
Me ----- well I came home from U.S. December 30th 2010 just before you!!!! I was 36 years living in the States, and I dont miss my old life at all, these days I hardly ever think of the U.S. unless I see a story say on the news, from America, Im still living with Mum, she's 94 in June, me 68 same month, and retired and enjoying my free bus pass she is doing as good as can be expected for her age, has a few medical problems but for her age she's doing pretty darn good really,
Anyway its sooooo nice to see you posting on here again, I know what you mean when you say about all the help and advice and support you got from people on here, ----- I feel the same way as you, without this thread and all the wonderful people on here I would have had a much tougher time in making my decision to come home, the amazing help I got from all these lovely people on here was and still is so precious to me, and I will never forget that!!!!
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

For those going back home, this site might be useful. I subscribed about four years ago and have found quite a few of my friends from my school and university days. It's so good to feel that "once friends, always friends" - even 30 years later

http://www.friendsreunited.co.uk/
Old Mar 17th 2013, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jasper123
Yes Sue I remember now ------- I remember when you left U.S. and went to Hong Kong first to live with your Daughter and her Hubby, he was quite a witty funny person, and made you laugh
And so I dont remember hearing anything after that, I know you said you will be sometime leaving H.K. to go back to U.K. but anyway your home here now and you seem to be doing OK, Im so glad you found a Job and Flat And car etc etc and that you are likeing being back home,
Me ----- well I came home from U.S. December 30th 2010 just before you!!!! I was 36 years living in the States, and I dont miss my old life at all, these days I hardly ever think of the U.S. unless I see a story say on the news, from America, Im still living with Mum, she's 94 in June, me 68 same month, and retired and enjoying my free bus pass she is doing as good as can be expected for her age, has a few medical problems but for her age she's doing pretty darn good really,
Anyway its sooooo nice to see you posting on here again, I know what you mean when you say about all the help and advice and support you got from people on here, ----- I feel the same way as you, without this thread and all the wonderful people on here I would have had a much tougher time in making my decision to come home, the amazing help I got from all these lovely people on here was and still is so precious to me, and I will never forget that!!!!
Take care,
Rodney.
Rodney, I know you said you don't think of the USA much nowadays but does it seems as if those years you spent in the USA are far, far away from you now, like a distant and vague memory?

I often wonder how I will think of the USA once I am back in the UK.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=WhoFan63;10607357]
Originally Posted by cheers

I know there are places in the US that unlock phones, but not familiar with any in the UK. I suppose the benefit of the Internet is that you can look up these places...LOL.
I don't know of any in the USA but I haven't really looked either.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
For those going back home, this site might be useful. I subscribed about four years ago and have found quite a few of my friends from my school and university days. It's so good to feel that "once friends, always friends" - even 30 years later

http://www.friendsreunited.co.uk/
You can say that again Windsong! Sometimes you meet up with them over 40 years later and sometimes you even marry them!
Old Mar 17th 2013, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by curleytops
You can say that again Windsong! Sometimes you meet up with them over 40 years later and sometimes you even marry them!
Ha ha ha!!!! Yes, you are right

One of my girlfriends from university became a member of Friends Reunited and got back in touch with one of our university pals. She later married him This must have been over 10 years ago now but, still, they had been apart over 25 years at the time. It's amazing how those bonds formed in our youth when the world held so much promise can withstand the tests of time
Old Mar 17th 2013, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Ha ha ha!!!! Yes, you are right

One of my girlfriends from university became a member of Friends Reunited and got back in touch with one of our university pals. She later married him This must have been over 10 years ago now but, still, they had been apart over 25 years at the time. It's amazing how those bonds formed in our youth when the world held so much promise can withstand the tests of time
Well I guess that's at least two of us then. I hardly ever visit Friends Reunited any more but I'll be forever grateful to that site

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.