Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Mar 16th 2013, 6:33 pm
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
Well I can always pop into the bank and ask them. I could probably get something from the B&B to show I am staying there in case that would suffice. Is it hard to get training to be a HCA? I had thought about that too as a career change, because I love people and I get along with almost everyone..lol. I didn't know whether I was too 'old' to start a new career like that, or if I'd need certain qualifications. I was going to start looking into it when i saw your post.
Now, no bones about it or sugar coating. HCA's or 'carers' is considered a low paid job here. No idea why, basically Tesco's delivery people are paid more an hour than we are. And we have to go through a lot of training. Health and Safety. Moving and Handling. Safe Handling. And in my case Dementia care and lots of other training. Why we are considered 'low skilled' workers is a mystery to me. And a lot of 'care workers' are given a bad rap because of the low pay, low skill stigma.
It really is not true. It takes a special love of people to be able to do what we do. And there was absolutely NO issue with me being the age I was when I decided to train. Signing up with an agency is a great way to get on the job training. They will teach you so much, then send you out on a 'shadow' with a trained member of staff. What you make of it then when you get out in the field is entirely up to you. I spent a few months doing 'domiciliary' care for people in the community. The care I provided was whatever the 'service user's' care package was combined of. Anything from bathing, toileting, feeding, moving, lifting, shopping for them, cleaning for them, helping them open their meds...a million other things. From that I decided I wanted to do more 'in house' work, ie staying at one place. So I went to a few care homes and helped out, through the agency, covering for absent care home staff.
I have NEVER done this type of work before. It's what we used to call Auxilliary nursing, and I always said I could never ever do it. But they were crying out for staff so I thought I'd give it a try as you get paid while training and if I didn't like it I'd leave.

Over a year later I am as I mentioned before, working at a nursing home and now training for my NVQ 3, (completely skipping the 1 and 2). Paid for by the government. The 'assessor' comes to me at work and assigns tasks which I either research or learn about online or already know through work.

On the news the other day they were talking about making it harder for 'unskilled or untrained' people to become carers, which is what they really need to do. Sooner or later we have to become recognised as skilled workers and start paying us more. . Till then I am staying in this field of work. It's paying the bills. I do more hours than my better paid office worker friends. But I am NOT stressed and they are and I am getting my bills paid and living happily alone in my own little rented flat!
I had better shut up, I am waffling on.

Last edited by HighSpeedGrandma; Mar 16th 2013 at 6:36 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 6:37 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by HighSpeedGrandma
Now, no bones about it or sugar coating. HCA's or 'carers' is considered a low paid job here. No idea why, basically Tesco's delivery people are paid more an hour than we are. And we have to go through a lot of training. Health and Safety. Moving and Handling. Safe Handling. And in my case Dementia care and lots of other training. Why we are considered 'low skilled' workers is a mystery to me. And a lot of 'care workers' are given a bad rap because of the low pay, low skill stigma.
It really is not true. It takes a special love of people to be able to do what we do. And there was absolutely NO issue with me being the age I was when I decided to train. Signing up with an agency is a great way to get on the job training. They will teach you so much, then send you out on a 'shadow' with a trained member of staff. What you make of it then when you get out in the field is entirely up to you. I spent a few months doing 'domiciliary' care for people in the community. The care I provided was whatever the 'service user's' care package was combined of. Anything from bathing, toileting, feeding, moving, lifting, shopping for them, cleaning for them, helping them open their meds...a million other things. From that I decided I wanted to do more 'in house' work, ie staying at one place. So I went to a few care homes and helped out, through the agency, covering for absent care home staff.
I have NEVER done this type of work before. It's what we used to call Auxilliary nursing, and I always said I could never ever do it. But they were crying out for staff so I thought I'd give it a try as you get paid while training and if I didn't like it I'd leave.
Over a year later I am as I mentioned before working at a nursing home and now training for my NVQ 3, completely skipping the 1 and 2. Paid for by the government. The 'assessor' comes to me at work and assigns tasks.

On the news the other day they were talking about making it harder for 'unskilled or untrained' people to become carers, which is what they really need to do. Sooner or later we have to become recognised as skilled workers and start paying us more. . Till then I am staying in this field of work. It's paying the bills. I do more hours than my better paid office worker friends. But I am NOT stressed and they are and I am getting my bills paid and living happily alone in my own little rented flat!
Feel free to waffle.. Thanks to your waffling I'm gaining important much needed information I realise that many jobs are considered low pay, but I have to be realistic and not just hold out for the 'perfect' paying job. So long as I have enough to pay rent, food and bills with a few luxuries thrown in I would be happy. The rest will come with more time and experience. I could be wrong of course..LOL
Old Mar 16th 2013, 6:47 pm
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute

Feel free to waffle.. Thanks to your waffling I'm gaining important much needed information I realise that many jobs are considered low pay, but I have to be realistic and not just hold out for the 'perfect' paying job. So long as I have enough to pay rent, food and bills with a few luxuries thrown in I would be happy. The rest will come with more time and experience. I could be wrong of course..LOL
Ah you see you have it right. I 'wasted' a few months holding out for a 'well paid' (by UK standards) job thinking I wanted to get straight in and stay at a job for years. In the end I went for very low paid and completely different to what I planned. But as I said, I AM paying my bills, rent and food (great benefit of work is I get fed great food, roast dinners,cottage pie, apple pie, apple crumble, custard, rice pudding, toast, tea, coffee, etc at work so it saves me a ton on shopping, plus I am way to full to eat more than a sandwich when I'm home and I get to come home and watch great British telly (or American if I want because ALL the good American shows are over here) and I get five weeks holiday a year, paid, without having to accrue it. Stuff it, I may well just stay doing this work. Who knows. If the right office job came up I may consider it. Thing is, when you're here it's so much easier because you get to know more and more people, who know other people......!!
Old Mar 16th 2013, 6:50 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

HSG, welcome back. I remember when you moved to Hong Kong. I think I was still a lurker then, but I am really pleased to hear that things are going well for you and it is great that you have so much experience to share with others.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 6:52 pm
I can't Re-Member

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
We're paying £300 a year and it's about to go down because we're moving to a more rural area. We didn't use an agent - just an online comparison website. We had no problem getting 9 years of US no claims accepted.

HighSpeedGrandma, it's great to hear from you and I'm glad you're happy! How's your husband doing? Did he stay in the US?
He is still in the US yes. We talk, Skype regularly and I go out there. So far he still doesn't want to come here and he's still 'okay' with me being here. We've agreed that when either one of us has 'had enough' we will say so!
Old Mar 16th 2013, 6:53 pm
I can't Re-Member

Just off to have some mushy peas, chips and gravy for dinner. May have either a cherry bakewell cake or some ginger cake and a cup of tea for 'afters'.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 6:57 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Just off to have some mushy peas, chips and gravy for dinner. May have either a cherry bakewell cake or some ginger cake and a cup of tea for 'afters'.
Oh I miss mushy peas. Enjoy your dinner and thanks for all the advice
Old Mar 16th 2013, 6:59 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

"afters". I am still trying to break the habit of saying dessert instead of afters or pudding.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 7:01 pm
Yorkshire Lass

Originally Posted by lf1
"afters". I am still trying to break the habit of saying dessert instead of afters or pudding.
I need to try to remember is it 'dinner' or 'tea'

I will need to learn how to speak 'English' all over again... Also learn how to spell again... LOL
Old Mar 16th 2013, 7:06 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

I need to try to remember is it 'dinner' or 'tea'

I will need to learn how to speak 'English' all over again... Also learn how to spell again... LOL
We are going to friends for our tea tonight. I am still calling it dinner and that is another one I need to change.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 7:06 pm
I can't Re-Member

It's dinner OR tea depending whether you're North or South. It's afters, pudding, dessert or sweet depending on where you come from too.

Bye for now.

Last edited by HighSpeedGrandma; Mar 16th 2013 at 7:23 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 7:10 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

All this chat about the English language reminded me of a book I read a few years ago "Watching the English" by Kate Fox. I really enjoyed it.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 7:20 pm
Yorkshire Lass

Originally Posted by lf1
All this chat about the English language reminded me of a book I read a few years ago "Watching the English" by Kate Fox. I really enjoyed it.
Sounds interesting ! Might have to look it up on Amazon
Old Mar 16th 2013, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Since moving back, OH has taken control of the kitchen and I have been relieved of my duties. Today, I made this soup for lunch and OH is raving about it, so I think I have been rehired. Thought I would share the recipe with my BE pals as it is very tasty (even though I do say so myself) and very easy to make. My kind of cooking

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3...nd-chilli-soup
Ooooh, yum You should share it on the recipe thread too
Old Mar 16th 2013, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Over a year later I am as I mentioned before, working at a nursing home and now training for my NVQ 3, (completely skipping the 1 and 2). Paid for by the government. The 'assessor' comes to me at work and assigns tasks which I either research or learn about online or already know through work.

High speed ----- real nice to hear from you again after so long, when did you come home? I didn't think you made the leap across yet !!!!
Rodney.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.