Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Mar 16th 2013, 8:19 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Happy Birthday, Louise, and welcome to the best half of your life! You pics on your blog are fabulous. Could you share where you got your phone and the plan you use?

May I also convey my condolences on the passing of your grandmother. I'm sure she was a very special lady, and I am glad you were there to spend time with her.
Thanks for the kind words

I bought my iPhone unlocked before I left (because it was a little cheaper over there) and then bought a sim card here. We started out on TMobile/Orange, but just switched to O2. We had to make the switch because we're about to move into our new house and our old sim card didn't get a signal there. (The downside of living in a tiny village in the middle of hills!) When your iPhone is unlocked, you just have to pop out one card and pop in another in order to change plans.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=WhoFan63;10603747]
Originally Posted by windsong

That's why I made sure my IPhone was unlocked so I could use a pre-paid SIM in the UK. I just couldn't live without my IPhone because it does everything I need it to. I don't think I could go back to just a basic mobile/cell phone.
I am quite tech savvy but not when it comes to cell phones. What does it mean to buy a phone "unlocked". I bought my phone from my provider and still use their plan so I don't know if it is locked or unlocked. I am shortly going to change my phone so is there any advantage to buying one that is unlocked - and where would I buy a phone that is unlocked.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 11:30 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=windsong;10607012]
Originally Posted by WhoFan63

I am quite tech savvy but not when it comes to cell phones. What does it mean to buy a phone "unlocked". I bought my phone from my provider and still use their plan so I don't know if it is locked or unlocked. I am shortly going to change my phone so is there any advantage to buying one that is unlocked - and where would I buy a phone that is unlocked.
Unlocked means you can use any sim card in it, many phones are 'locked' so you can use, say only Vodaphone or O2, there are plenty of places you can go to to get a phone unlocked, but if you are on a contract then it's probably not worth it.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=mikelincs;10607052]

Unlocked means you can use any sim card in it, many phones are 'locked' so you can use, say only Vodaphone or O2, there are plenty of places you can go to to get a phone unlocked, but if you are on a contract then it's probably not worth it.
So the sim card dictates the provider. That makes sense now. I will make sure before I leave the USA that my phone is unlocked
Old Mar 16th 2013, 12:00 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=windsong;10607057]
Originally Posted by mikelincs

So the sim card dictates the provider. That makes sense now. I will make sure before I leave the USA that my phone is unlocked
Yes and it contains the number, if you save telephone numbers to a sim card, and then change it, then you have lost those numbers, if you save to the phone, and the phone breaks, then you lose them that way. You can just buy a sim card without the phone, and AFAIK, have a contract with that.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=mikelincs;10607085]

Yes and it contains the number, if you save telephone numbers to a sim card, and then change it, then you have lost those numbers, if you save to the phone, and the phone breaks, then you lose them that way. You can just buy a sim card without the phone, and AFAIK, have a contract with that.
Good information. I have often thought I should write down all these phone numbers that I have in my phone. Now I am going to do it.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 1:52 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Since moving back, OH has taken control of the kitchen and I have been relieved of my duties. Today, I made this soup for lunch and OH is raving about it, so I think I have been rehired. Thought I would share the recipe with my BE pals as it is very tasty (even though I do say so myself) and very easy to make. My kind of cooking

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3...nd-chilli-soup
Old Mar 16th 2013, 1:57 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lf1
Since moving back, OH has taken control of the kitchen and I have been relieved of my duties. Today, I made this soup for lunch and OH is raving about it, so I think I have been rehired. Thought I would share the recipe with my BE pals as it is very tasty (even though I do say so myself) and very easy to make. My kind of cooking

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3...nd-chilli-soup
Thanks for sharing...it looks absolutely yummy. I can see a trip to the store in my very near future
Old Mar 16th 2013, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
Thanks for sharing...it looks absolutely yummy. I can see a trip to the store in my very near future
+1
Old Mar 16th 2013, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=mikelincs;10607052]

Plenty of places? Where for example? I think you are saying in England?
I have an iphone that was on contract to AT&T, but no longer.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 3:50 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=cheers;10607349]
Originally Posted by mikelincs

Plenty of places? Where for example? I think you are saying in England?
I have an iphone that was on contract to AT&T, but no longer.
I know there are places in the US that unlock phones, but not familiar with any in the UK. I suppose the benefit of the Internet is that you can look up these places...LOL.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 4:43 pm
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute

Helloooo!! Remember me? From eons ago!

If you don't, my name is Sue, I used the "Moving back to the UK' forum when I was unhappy in the US in 2010 and everyone was wonderful and I received invaluable advice.
Been back in the UK now since March 2011. Often thought of everyone here but just haven't had much chance to visit. Just wanted to catch up and say hello.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighSpeedGrandma

If you don't, my name is Sue, I used the "Moving back to the UK' forum when I was unhappy in the US in 2010 and everyone was wonderful and I received invaluable advice.
Been back in the UK now since March 2011. Often thought of everyone here but just haven't had much chance to visit. Just wanted to catch up and say hello.
Hello HSG/Sue! great to see you again. Are you happy to be back in the UK?
Old Mar 16th 2013, 4:52 pm
Yorkshire Lass

Welcome back Sue ! Even though you were here before my time, I'm curious as to how things are going for you back in the UK? I'm heading back home in April myself after a LONG absence
Old Mar 16th 2013, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sue, it's great to see you again! Hope you are well and you'll fill us in on your new life back home and come back regularly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.