Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Feb 16th 2013, 2:14 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Thankfully no-one was hurt and they only got their computers, lucky for them someone was in what the burglers thought was an empty house, and as Sally says, there were no guns or other weapons involved.
Seems to be a burglary hotspot!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-20081428
Old Feb 16th 2013, 7:37 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
bet those figures would be well reduced if they removed the city effects though.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
I thought Sally was in North Yorkshire, not West Yorkshire?
Old Feb 16th 2013, 8:10 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
I thought Sally was in North Yorkshire, not West Yorkshire?
she is, but how can you expect yanks to know where the various parts of Yorkshire are when 30% can't even place the USA on a world map..
Old Feb 16th 2013, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The obsession with home ownership always struck me as weird - especially when it all depends on taking out a mortgage for 30+ years. Think about it - you are signing an agreement to pay some Financial Institution x-hundred a month for 30 years !
Old Feb 16th 2013, 8:50 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
The obsession with home ownership always struck me as weird - especially when it all depends on taking out a mortgage for 30+ years. Think about it - you are signing an agreement to pay some Financial Institution x-hundred a month for 30 years !
True, but at times when interest rates are low, the interest is much lower than rent, and while rent goes up with inflation, mortgage payments don't. Just ask my friends who are sitting on a £300,000 house that they have a £50,000 mortgage on.

There are definitely situations where renting makes sense, but owning/buying also has advantages in the long term.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by windsong
Hello, Don It's nice to see you again!

I wonder why it is possible to work only 16 hours a week when earning minimum wage?

When you say you had to sign that you will not claim any state benefits, do you mean you had to sign that you would claim no unemployment or pension benefits? I didn't know that UK citizens with foreign-born spouses had to do this. It certainly takes away from the benefits the UK offers to you personally if you had to do this IF I am understanding correctly.

I also should state that in my comments about "immigration" I really refer to those who enter the UK in droves, take advantage of what the UK has to offer, etc - I am sure you understand. I am not referring to UK-born citizens with foreign spouses. To me, that's completely different and they have a right to be in the UK, just as my mother married an American and had a right to be in the USA because of her husband. I know immigration in the UK is a sensitive issue, so I thought I would make this clear. However, if these marriages had been arranged purely to enter the UK, then consider those in the group "those who enter the UK in droves".

I have also been thinking about the immigration issue in general. I wonder if it would make sense to have "tiered immigration", so that those UK citizens with foreign-born spouses both get the full range of UK advantages/benefits (Tier 1); then those who enter privately and of their own free will to become UK citizens, get another set of advantages/benefits (Tier 2); those who seek to enter with criminal backgrounds in their own or immediate family's history, either get yet another set of benefits (Tier 3 - very little) or do not get to enter at all. Then, after 10 years of residency in the UK with no problems, both Tier 2 and Tier 3 can change to full Tier 1 advantages/benefits. Something along these lines . . . I haven't really thought this out but it is a notion that occurred to me the other day. Maybe having a tiered system would reduce the desire to be resident in the UK. I think it might also be a huge relief for the taxpayers.
There are 'Tiered' systems in place. Go to www.immigrationboard.com, and you will see more of those occurring, than in our situation, which is called ''SetM'' - don't ask me why, though.There are also, ''Set O'' (but I don't know whether benefits are affected, by those divisions). I don't take umbrage, but am annoyed that others, don't have to endure the same obstacles!... - but the processing of applications, seem to be prolonged by those divisions, either knowingly, or unknowingly...However, perhaps the grammar used on the documents, MAY BE designed with the word ''obfuscate'' evident, but not admitted, of course!!! Take Care. Love Don
Old Feb 16th 2013, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

she is, but how can you expect yanks to know where the various parts of Yorkshire are when 30% can't even place the USA on a world map..

Old Feb 16th 2013, 1:54 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Her new house I thought she said is in W Yorks. Er, I'm not a yank, so need to be nasty. I'm from Glos.

Last edited by Mallory; Feb 16th 2013 at 2:01 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

I love the feeling of security owning my own home, but it does have its good and bad sides, I rented too and enjoyed the freedom it gave me to move on when I wanted.

I see lots of reverse mortgage advertisements on TV, lots of people must be doing these otherwise the ads would stop, I wonder if those are being offered in other countries, it tells you the financial state of affairs for many Americans once they reach retirement, Fancy making payments for 30 yrs and then using it as a piggy back to get you through, Those reverse mortgage companies have to be making a great return on the money for the risk involved, so it cant be that good for the homeowners, so much for the American Dream.

30 Years, I spoke to someone three years ago that had taken a 50 year mortgage, how sad is that.

Last edited by Fish n Chips 56; Feb 16th 2013 at 3:44 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 3:48 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
I love the feeling of security owning my own home, but it does have its good and bad sides, I rented too and enjoyed the freedom it gave me to move on when I wanted.

I see lots of reverse mortgage advertisements on TV, lots of people must be doing these otherwise the ads would stop, I wonder if those are being offered in other countries, it tells you the financial state of affairs for many Americans once they reach retirement, Fancy making payments for 30 yrs and then using it as a piggy back to get you through, Those reverse mortgage companies have to be making a great return on the money for the risk involved, so it cant be that good for the homeowners, so much for the American Dream.

30 Years, I spoke to someone three years ago that had taken a 50 year mortgage, how sad is that.
I think longer mortgages may be the future for current young British adults (just because it makes the monthly payments lower, and so more affordable). In some ways it makes sense (you work for over 40 years), but when you look at the difference it makes in terms of how much interest is paid over the loan, it is considerable.

Conversely, in the US, the sandard mortgage term is either 15 years or 30 years. Just shows how much cheaper (in general) the houses are if you can consider paying off a mortgage in 15 years ... and the rates are lower for 15-year mortgages, too.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Weird? Really? Maybe you should have been able to take the chance, Margaret Thatcher created when trying to increase membership of the Tory Party - when she tried to sink and bury Labour for ever, by selling off Council houses to sitting tenants!
My Second Wife, who at that time I had just married, was, like myself, sitting in a council house.
I vacated mine, on marriage, as hers' was better with more garden.

We were offered it for a cash sum of £2120. Freehold. Should we have said no?

Last edited by dontheturner; Feb 16th 2013 at 4:16 pm. Reason: E&OE
Old Feb 16th 2013, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Weird? Really? Maybe you should have been able to take the chance, Margaret Thatcher created when trying to increase membership of the Tory Party - when she tried to sink and bury Labour for ever, by selling off Council houses to sitting tenants!
My Second Wife, who at that time I had just married, was, like myself, sitting in a council house.
I vacated mine, on marriage, as hers' was better with more garden.

We were offered it for a cash sum of £2120. Freehold. Should we have said no?
I would have jumped at the chance, I think.

Do council houses still exist in Britain?
Old Feb 16th 2013, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

I would have jumped at the chance, I think.

Do council houses still exist in Britain?
Yes but the waiting lists can be long.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

You've had a lot of changes - and work - in the last couple of years. Sometimes it catches up with you and have you take a breather to rejuvenate. Also, the problems with your mother, don't help. This probably also prevents you taking a holiday somewhere but it sounds as if you could do with one. Is it possible to take some weekends away or, if not, to at least make some pleasurable drives into the countryside at weekends just to get out?

Sometimes, too, we begin to grieve - in advance - and if things with your mum aren't good, that may be happening as well.

That nursing home figure is incredible!! What do people who can't afford that do over there, I wonder. Is any of it picked up by the NHS?
Thanks.
The sun shone today, it was mild with barely any wind. We walked 8 miles from home across countryside to Sandringham estate, had lunch and beer in pub and rode the bus home.
A nice relaxing day out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.