Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Feb 15th 2013, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Minimum Wage is £7.45 per Hour, outside London. Snag is, you can only find work, for 16 hours per week, and if seeking, say 30 hours, then another vacancy, will more than likely be miles away. - My Wife doesn't drive in the UK (she did in Thailand), and so needs to have lessons, which we cannot afford at the moment, and her income with my pensions, puts me where I cannot claim, Pension Credit, (which then automaticallyentitles the applicant to get some housing benefit.)

As it happens, she has applied for her Settlement Visa, and on those forms I have had to sign, that I am not, and will not claim any state benefits, - and to make sure there is no ambiguity, they then list them!

She also, has to obtain a residents identity card, which has her Photograph, and Fingerprints together with D.O.B. etc., on it.
Hello, Don It's nice to see you again!

I wonder why it is possible to work only 16 hours a week when earning minimum wage?

When you say you had to sign that you will not claim any state benefits, do you mean you had to sign that you would claim no unemployment or pension benefits? I didn't know that UK citizens with foreign-born spouses had to do this. It certainly takes away from the benefits the UK offers to you personally if you had to do this IF I am understanding correctly.

I also should state that in my comments about "immigration" I really refer to those who enter the UK in droves, take advantage of what the UK has to offer, etc - I am sure you understand. I am not referring to UK-born citizens with foreign spouses. To me, that's completely different and they have a right to be in the UK, just as my mother married an American and had a right to be in the USA because of her husband. I know immigration in the UK is a sensitive issue, so I thought I would make this clear. However, if these marriages had been arranged purely to enter the UK, then consider those in the group "those who enter the UK in droves".

I have also been thinking about the immigration issue in general. I wonder if it would make sense to have "tiered immigration", so that those UK citizens with foreign-born spouses both get the full range of UK advantages/benefits (Tier 1); then those who enter privately and of their own free will to become UK citizens, get another set of advantages/benefits (Tier 2); those who seek to enter with criminal backgrounds in their own or immediate family's history, either get yet another set of benefits (Tier 3 - very little) or do not get to enter at all. Then, after 10 years of residency in the UK with no problems, both Tier 2 and Tier 3 can change to full Tier 1 advantages/benefits. Something along these lines . . . I haven't really thought this out but it is a notion that occurred to me the other day. Maybe having a tiered system would reduce the desire to be resident in the UK. I think it might also be a huge relief for the taxpayers.

Last edited by windsong; Feb 15th 2013 at 1:54 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Hang on.....

Those last two posts are doing my 'ead in.

Keep things simple for the likes of me
Old Feb 15th 2013, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Hang on.....

Those last two posts are doing my 'ead in.

Keep things simple for the likes of me
I hear you
Old Feb 15th 2013, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Hello everybody, just checking in to let you know I am still alive.

I am friends with some off here on Facebook so I am able to see their coming and goings!

All is well with me, I have been back 2 years (!!) in February, so not long to celebrate my return now. Still working and living in Surrey, I will be looking to move though when my 2 year tenure is up at my present job, up North no doubt......or maybe the seaside......or maybe the countryside, who knows where I will end up??

I saw Charleygirl's earlier post and would love to meet up in London with her and Rodney and anybody else who wants to come along, I am 25 mins from London Waterloo and although I work Monday to Friday I can take a day's leave if weekdays are better for some. Just set the date and I will be there!

I have joined Meetup and am going on my first outing tomorrow, it's a great way to meet people and in my case I am going on a walk around London with a history guide, then everybody gets together afterwards for drinks at a pub.

Hope everybody is well and following their dreams.
Wow! This seems to be Beedubya's most recent post - November 2012. I wonder where she is!! She hasn't posted in a while. Hope everything is ok.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

How grateful I am for BritishExpats.com! Even though I can't go home to the UK yet, all of you wonderful people - those who have already gone home and those that are planning to do so - help to bring "home" quite a bit closer because you share all your experiences. It's also terrific to be able to bounce ideas and thoughts off each other because, often, in our adopted countries, we feel so isolated. It's almost as if we are the wind beneath each other's wings
Old Feb 15th 2013, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Wow! This seems to be Beedubya's most recent post - November 2012. I wonder where she is!! She hasn't posted in a while. Hope everything is ok.
You probably know this from her posts that she doesn't feel she fits in because she has been back home for so long. She has a friend she meets with on her day off and I think she may also monitor our forum posts. It would be nice to hear from her.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

You probably know this from her posts that she doesn't feel she fits in because she has been back home for so long. She has a friend she meets with on her day off and I think she may also monitor our forum posts. It would be nice to hear from her.
Ohh, I didn't realize this. Beedubya will ALWAYS fit in here. Those who are back home are really needed here - and wanted, too Perhaps she feels that way because she feels settled in England and feels at home, which is also wonderful - but she is part of our family here, too.

I am glad she has a friend there now but I would LOVE to hear from her

Footnote: It is only in this "over 50s and 60s" thread that I feel there is an ongoing sense of community - much more than in the other threads. All the other threads have useful information, of course, but there is something different about being here. That "community" includes all those who are back home - and always will.

Last edited by windsong; Feb 15th 2013 at 4:45 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

I really agree about the sense of community on this thread. And the community can't survive if it doesn't grow, because once people have gone back to the UK and settled in, they often become so busy and happy and whatever that they post much less frequently----absolutely understandable, though a shame because of course we still love to hear from them!

So, you newbies out there who recently joined or said hello after long lurking, keep your posts coming!
Old Feb 15th 2013, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hey windsong this is the pot calling the kettle black! You take off and don't tell anyone, right?
Old Feb 15th 2013, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

You wont believe this (so why am I telling you if you wont believe it?)

Sally got burgled today!!!

Yep, you read this correctly!

Cheers
Old Feb 15th 2013, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hey windsong this is the pot calling the kettle black! You take off and don't tell anyone, right?
Cheers, you are absolutely right!!!

To be honest, I left for a while because it hurt to come here, knowing I couldn't keep to my plan of going back home this year but after a while of being away, it hurt to NOT be here. Catch 22!
Old Feb 15th 2013, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

You wont believe this (so why am I telling you if you wont believe it?)

Sally got burgled today!!!

Yep, you read this correctly!

Cheers
Ohh no!!! I wonder if that's why she hasn't blogged for three days!!!

PS - It's on her blog!!

UNBELIEVABLE!!

Last edited by windsong; Feb 15th 2013 at 7:06 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
John, you seem to be more grumpy since you changed your avatar.
That's very perceptive. I have been grumpy lately, maybe that's what inspired me to change to the rather serious and duty bound Inspector Javert.

My mother also is of concern. With advanced Parkinson's she has been in a nursing home since Dec and last weekend took a fall and fractured her hip. The NHS was fantastic - called for ambulance at 6:30 a.m. Saturday and at 2 pm she went into surgery for hip replacement !! Mother is looking poorly and we don't know if she will pull through but we have seen this coming so are not unprepared. The £741/week board and lodging at the nursing home made me go pale.

Maybe the weather gets me down (but I can't complain compared to what I see falling on western Scotland).
Seems like I have had a lot of drudgery chores lately and not much fun. I feel a lot of weight from all around despite making effort to cheer up. But I know my cycle of happy-unhappy is long waves rather then blowing hot/cold daily, so I'll pull through eventually.
I did break off from decorating today and took a walk in the sunshine with a local group including some of my bus-stop-chat ladies so I caught up with all the local gossip.

And the horse jokes on here have helped!!
Old Feb 15th 2013, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
That's very perceptive. I have been grumpy lately, maybe that's what inspired me to change to the rather serious and duty bound Inspector Javert.

My mother also is of concern. With advanced Parkinson's she has been in a nursing home since Dec and last weekend took a fall and fractured her hip. The NHS was fantastic - called for ambulance at 6:30 a.m. Saturday and at 2 pm she went into surgery for hip replacement !! Mother is looking poorly and we don't know if she will pull through but we have seen this coming so are not unprepared. The £741/week board and lodging at the nursing home made me go pale.

Maybe the weather gets me down (but I can't complain compared to what I see falling on western Scotland).
Seems like I have had a lot of drudgery chores lately and not much fun. I feel a lot of weight from all around despite making effort to cheer up. But I know my cycle of happy-unhappy is long waves rather then blowing hot/cold daily, so I'll pull through eventually.
I did break off from decorating today and took a walk in the sunshine with a local group including some of my bus-stop-chat ladies so I caught up with all the local gossip.

And the horse jokes on here have helped!!
You've had a lot of changes - and work - in the last couple of years. Sometimes it catches up with you and have you take a breather to rejuvenate. Also, the problems with your mother, don't help. This probably also prevents you taking a holiday somewhere but it sounds as if you could do with one. Is it possible to take some weekends away or, if not, to at least make some pleasurable drives into the countryside at weekends just to get out?

Sometimes, too, we begin to grieve - in advance - and if things with your mum aren't good, that may be happening as well.

That nursing home figure is incredible!! What do people who can't afford that do over there, I wonder. Is any of it picked up by the NHS?
Old Feb 15th 2013, 9:04 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Ohh no!!! I wonder if that's why she hasn't blogged for three days!!!

PS - It's on her blog!!

UNBELIEVABLE!!
Thankfully no-one was hurt and they only got their computers, lucky for them someone was in what the burglers thought was an empty house, and as Sally says, there were no guns or other weapons involved.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.