Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Feb 12th 2013, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by lf1
Rodney,

After I finished watching a recorded programme, the TV went to the awards show so I saw a little bit of it before heading to bed. I was struck at how many Americans were presenting and felt the whole thing was very Hollywood, so not to my taste at all.

I was chatting with the village butcher (one of my fellow Ugly Sisters), the other day and he was saying that sales of mince have shot up since the horsemeat story broke. I haven't had too many ready meals since being back, except for a couple from M&S, (love their Mousakka) and the homemade meals available from the butcher. If anything, I hope this situation will be good for the smaller businesses like the local butcher etc.
If1, I share your sentiments about the small local business and hope the recent course of events will give us all a new appreciation for and encourage us to support what we have right on our own doorsteps. I decided it was time I explore what's available to us here in Scarborough and I googled butcher shops in the area. Well, I swear this is no wind-up folks, two names jumped right to the top of the list.....

Trotters Farm shop

and

D J Horsley

You couldn't make it up OMG what do I do now???? I know what Sally would say
Old Feb 12th 2013, 11:34 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
If1, I share your sentiments about the small local business and hope the recent course of events will give us all a new appreciation for and encourage us to support what we have right on our own doorsteps. I decided it was time I explore what's available to us here in Scarborough and I googled butcher shops in the area. Well, I swear this is no wind-up folks, two names jumped right to the top of the list.....

Trotters Farm shop

and

D J Horsley

If Trotters' Farm Shop is a branch of the "Trotters Independent Trading" of "Only Fools and Horses", then I would suggest you stay well clear. You will have to trot to the Horsley store!
Old Feb 12th 2013, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Trotters Farm shop

and

D J Horsley

Old Feb 12th 2013, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Narrrr...you chaps can't have been drinking this early in the day......

anyhow, not to worry with the meat as long as they remember to take the saddle off the horse.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 2:32 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers

anyhow, not to worry with the meat as long as they remember to take the saddle off the horse.
Why not? It was past noon. Perfectly civilized!!!
Old Feb 12th 2013, 2:37 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Last week, I rehearsed every night for the Panto, so I have got lots of telly to catch up on. According to OH, there is some football game on, so he is going down the pub to watch it as we don't have the football channel (or whatever it is called). I am very happy about this as I can pour myself a glass of wine and watch Mr Selfridge and Dancing on the Edge. Is anyone else watching these?

Last night I watched Lewis. That just makes me want to jump on train and head straight to Oxford.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 2:37 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers

Like you, I'm going to be in England in June for 3 weeks. I'm not a big meat eater, but not vegeterian. My hubby and brothers like their meat, and will have BQs with burgers, sausage, etc. I have a wild imagination, and I don't want to eat any meat while I'm there.

Can I get away with saying I'm suddenly vegeterian?
Old Feb 12th 2013, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Why not? It was past noon. Perfectly civilized!!!
Well we're all scattered across the globe here, just remember it's always Happy Hour somewhere!
Old Feb 12th 2013, 2:40 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mallory
Like you, I'm going to be in England in June for 3 weeks. I'm not a big meat eater, but not vegeterian. My hubby and brothers like their meat, and will have BQs with burgers, sausage, etc. I have a wild imagination, and I don't want to eat any meat while I'm there.

Can I get away with saying I'm suddenly vegeterian?
You need to watch the episode of Gavin & Stacey, where Gavin's mum goes veggie, by accident. It won't give you any good pointers, but it should give you a laugh.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
windsong if you keep on taking all this stuff so seriously you will have a heart attack, life is so short as it is, listen when we are all gone life and the world will still continue on whatever path it decides to take, nothing you or I can do about it,
The way I look at it all is as long as we can stop North Korea starting the third world war then maybe we will all have a chance, but all the time China & Russia continue to suppy them with whatever they need ----- I cant see how we can stop them really,
Barclays is in trouble, there laying off 4,000 more people, --- said today that in 2012 they only made £600 million ------ but in contrast in 2011 they made £6 billion in profits, whats going on here?
I saw the British film awards the other day on tetellynd hohonestlyt looked like the American acacademywards ---- without all the glamour, I think Britain had a couple of films, and the rest came from U.S. the whole of the royal opera house was filled with mostly American superstars ---- with a little sprinkle of British stars, Hmmmm it was quite strange to watch, they did say that last year Britain did invest only a third of there usual amount of pounds in movie making,
the British music awards are coming up next, I wonder how many actual awards will be given to British artists, and will America also dominate that industry too?
Well keep safe and all of you who are still in your adopted countries take a deep breath of relief!!!! ----- at least your not eating horse meat when you think your eating cows beef ------ or are you? ----- how would anyone know?

Oh yes its alright her though cause the label says 100% British Beef ---- so thats what it is right? yeah right
Rodney, you are absolutely right - and I am not getting younger I need to cool it a bit and relax

I will never change my desire to return - and I will eventually. It is a big move to plan and I think it is understandable that some cannot make the move when we initially think we can. But eventually - yes.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Rodney,

After I finished watching a recorded programme, the TV went to the awards show so I saw a little bit of it before heading to bed. I was struck at how many Americans were presenting and felt the whole thing was very Hollywood, so not to my taste at all.

I was chatting with the village butcher (one of my fellow Ugly Sisters), the other day and he was saying that sales of mince have shot up since the horsemeat story broke. I haven't had too many ready meals since being back, except for a couple from M&S, (love their Mousakka) and the homemade meals available from the butcher. If anything, I hope this situation will be good for the smaller businesses like the local butcher etc.
What I don't understand is why those who eat the meat of animals who are not stunned before killing (trying to be diplomatic here) cannot get all their meat imported. If they don't like that condition of living in the UK, then . . .

Last edited by windsong; Feb 12th 2013 at 3:13 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Trotters Farm shop

and

D J Horsley

Gosh, that is funny

I eat less meat and poultry than I ever did - and I never eat buffalo or any of the "newer" animals that humans have chosen to kill for human consumption. We kill enough already!

Over the years, I have ventured more into vegetarian cooking and have found some delicious recipes and 80% of the time I prefer to cook these because they are so wonderful! I also eat more legumes (lentils, dried peas, etc.) in the form of homemade soups. I struggle with the fact I still eat meat the other 20% of the time, though.

I often wish there were fewer people on this planet so we kill fewer animals and leave them with habitats to live in because we dodn't take up their space in the form of necessary housing.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

British humour has produced the following;

My Doctor advised I should watch what I eat, so I bought tickets for the Grand National
Old Feb 12th 2013, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
You need to watch the episode of Gavin & Stacey, where Gavin's mum goes veggie, by accident. It won't give you any good pointers, but it should give you a laugh.
Darn Right, I loved that series and remember that particular episode, Alison Steadman was great in it but many others were too, Its a real good laugh if you need one.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 4:19 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Darn Right, I loved that series and remember that particular episode, Alison Steadman was great in it but many others were too, Its a real good laugh if you need one.
Yes, it was a great show and I loved Rob Brydon in it. Saw Alison Steadman the other night in an episode of Lewis.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.