Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jan 24th 2013, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Tahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really nice
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Hi all

After lurking on this and other threads on this forum for quite a while now (since the start of Eastern Dawn’s epic adventure) it seems like a good time to say hello.

More importantly, I think I should first offer a vote of thanks to all of you for providing so many honest insights into the pros and cons of returning to the UK. From selling houses, through to all the surprises found when returning, this thread has been a super-interesting read!

Just a few words about us: my Wife, myself and two kids moved lock stock and barrel to the US in 1996 for a three year assignment. Eleven years on, we found ourselves still in the US, with US passports, and kids out of the house and off the payroll. So when I was offered a chance to work in Asia I jumped at the chance (OK – may be that’s a slight exaggeration, but we have enjoyed ourselves anyway!)

But now we have clocked up four years enjoying the heat and hospitality of Malaysia, flights have been booked to return to the UK at the end of February.

Hopefully this latest move will bring all the fun (and great photos), and maybe not too many of the challenges that many of the other contributors have reported on this thread (and the original thread).

All the best

Tahiti
Old Jan 24th 2013, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

Look forward to your posts when you return. Will your children remain in the US? Best of you luck to you.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Sallysimmons...Glad to hear the cats are doing well. I remember how worried you were about moving them. Congratulations on the signing of the contract it must be so exciting. Would love to see some pictures of your new home and how things are going with the move in. The cats will have to make the place their own.
You are right about pricing a house correctly, we made the big mistake of trying to make as much on the house as we could, not out of greed but because of what we would need for the move to the UK and to buy another home. You cannot compare a house you have in the US with one you buy in the UK they are very different you get alot more for your money in the US. My husband kept looking at houses of the same size.
The estate agent, who when I look back was a bit of a fly by night went along with pricing the house at the top fo the range and told us that he would put the house on the market and it would sell . Good idea when you get three estate agents values take the middle one or the lower one if you want to sell quick.

Looking back I see lots of mistakes we made as well as the housing market crash. Houses around us that went into foreclosure were selling for way below the market price. The housing market did not fall in the UK as quickly as it did in the US and in some areas hardly at all. The amount of money it has cost us just to have our furniture in storage and renting a home would have been made up for selling the house at a lower price and moved directly to the UK.

Tahiti_Bound..Goodluck on your move you mentioned your two children are they still in the US and how does your wife feel about that. Leaving them behind when you went to Asia must have been hard so it will be easier when you move back to the UK. Have you decided which part you are moving to. Please keep in touch and let us know how things go for you its always interesting to hear peoples stories. Good and bad.....

You mentioned ED she has been back in the UK for a couple of years and has had a really hard time between health and leaving her husband and grown children behind in Canada. I have not heard from her in a while I contact her now and again. Last time I had news from her she was doing better but her husband had not yet joined her nor her dogs.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
cheers, I don't understand your comment about me not understanding where the money could be spent.

It's all political.
Did I mention you. Shame on me. You are my buddy!
Old Jan 24th 2013, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
- and life here has turned out to be much cheaper than in America for us, so it's probably all balanced out by now.

We're about to exchange contracts on the purchase of a new house and will hopefully be moved in before our one-year anniversary. My mum says we don't mess around!
So exciting. Can't wait for you to get the keys.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 5:36 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
You probably don't get the money thing because you don't see what other things the money could be spent on. Oh well the traditions of Rome and power live on. We are the most powerful nation in the world (their words not mine) I think half the world detests the US and the power they throw around. This is unfortunate because again Washington doesn't represent the working American. Love that power.

Music. We have cats that visit our garden who make similar noise.

When Obama was making speeches at the different Balls last night it sounded like they had a applause machine that would respond on cue.

It is amazes me that a common man can still get elected in the US. He WAS someone without wealth and connections. I think he is likable and sincere. All the forces are now in place to block anything he tries to do for the next four years. You might call that democracy?
Trivia concerning costs at the White House.

http://www.omg-facts.com/Other/US-Pr...In-The-W/53817
Old Jan 24th 2013, 5:39 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

So exciting. Can't wait for you to get the keys.
Did you get your housewarming party invitation yet? I think the postman must have delivered mine to the wrong house.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 10:20 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Tahiti, when do you fly back to UK and are the kids joining you?
Old Jan 25th 2013, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

Hi everyone, so nice to read your posts and see how you are all getting on. Well we have been back in good ol England for almost two months now. Our house in Italy remains unsold, we have put the price down again, it is well below the market value. There is no money about in southern Italy, the banks are not loaning money for mortgages. We have had very low offers fom people that are trying to sell their own property anyway. My husband is getting all the paperwork together to become a Private Hire driver, today he has a topographical exam, he has submitted a CRB check (criminal record check) had a medical, it is a long process and costs about £ 450/500. If he passes the map reading exam today, he can submit his application for a PCO licence, a 16 week wait we are told. I have put my CV online, no joy yet, I have been away from work for over 5 years and I am in my early 60's, not great methinks. However I look around when shopping and an awful lots of the checkout operators are definitely in my age bracket. We can manage a simple lifestyle, if we cut out luxuries and holidays we will be OK. Just so pleased to be back, everything is so much better, we are home.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PAT M
Hi everyone, so nice to read your posts and see how you are all getting on. Well we have been back in good ol England for almost two months now. Our house in Italy remains unsold, we have put the price down again, it is well below the market value. There is no money about in southern Italy, the banks are not loaning money for mortgages. We have had very low offers fom people that are trying to sell their own property anyway. My husband is getting all the paperwork together to become a Private Hire driver, today he has a topographical exam, he has submitted a CRB check (criminal record check) had a medical, it is a long process and costs about £ 450/500. If he passes the map reading exam today, he can submit his application for a PCO licence, a 16 week wait we are told. I have put my CV online, no joy yet, I have been away from work for over 5 years and I am in my early 60's, not great methinks. However I look around when shopping and an awful lots of the checkout operators are definitely in my age bracket. We can manage a simple lifestyle, if we cut out luxuries and holidays we will be OK. Just so pleased to be back, everything is so much better, we are home.
Good for you Pat, I'm glad youve made it home.

I was thinking that becoming a taxi driver would be easier with all the Sat Nav devices in the U.K. of course it helps to know the area in which you work...

There is nothing wrong with working in a checkout, there are some nice little perks working for major retailers in the UK, discount on food etc...

Good Luck to you both.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Good for you Pat, I'm glad youve made it home.

I was thinking that becoming a taxi driver would be easier with all the Sat Nav devices in the U.K. of course it helps to know the area in which you work...

There is nothing wrong with working in a checkout, there are some nice little perks working for major retailers in the UK, discount on food etc...

Good Luck to you both.
There are taxi drivers and there are taxi drivers. The driver we had in London looked like he belonged on the golf course instead of driving a cab. I think he said he only worked 4 hours a day. I think we all know it is hard to get a taxi license for a black cab in London because they are tested for their knowledge of London and the London streets. The drivers in some of the towns appeared to be from either Eastern Europe or Asia so I think it is the same as in the US being the first job for immigrants.

Nice to know that there are lots of grannies working in the shops.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by PAT M
My DW would like to live in Italy but I think she is thinking about the Tuscany area. Mildly interested.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Its news to me that the rate of exchange has improved and the pound now costs only $1.581.

On another matter...

People have rightly said that they don't like the way in the US they ad on sales tax to a purchase.
The UK does some thing different I think when they charge double if two people use a hotel/B&B. I'm use to the US way of doing it. One price whether 2 people use a room or one. MTBW.

(MTBW= my two bits worth)
Old Jan 25th 2013, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Its news to me that the rate of exchange has improved and the pound now costs only $1.581.

On another matter...

People have rightly said that they don't like the way in the US they ad on sales tax to a purchase.
The UK does some thing different I think when they charge double if two people use a hotel/B&B. I'm use to the US way of doing it. One price whether 2 people use a room or one. MTBW.

(MTBW= my two bits worth)
Not quite true. Rent a double room, and the tax is on the room, whether one or two occupy it.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Not quite true. Rent a double room, and the tax is on the room, whether one or two occupy it.
I was not clear. My understanding is that if you book a room the rate will be different if two people are occupying. Maybe that is for B&B. Now I never thought there was tax to be paid also.

Well it looks like we will be over there on June 14th for a look see.

Cheers Don

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.