Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Sep 7th 2012, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
What about $10 Million in 07, I really used to like her too, but these cheap shots dont impress me, it was the attitude as much as anything, people are influenced by people like her.
Ya but how much after taxes are taken out?

I think about the salaries of the newscaster quite a lot and I'm mad because they are giving out propaganda for various organizations and corporations.

They act like they are average people one of us?

In her case her husband has serious medical conditions so I have a little compassion for.

BTW I think she has gone part-time so her salary, this year, has probably 'tanked'
Old Sep 8th 2012, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Did anyone see the recent comments made by Meredith Viera, She got a thumb infection while in the U.K. during the Olympics, she said the UK hyped its NHS system but she was sent to a private doctor, what's she think it is, a free for all, even then she wasn't happy with her care.

It just seemed like she wanted a reason to down the NHS, maybe some political BS, if she was as smart as I thought she was, she would know that she didn't qualify for the NHS care without contributing or being a resident.
Fish I googled (Meredith Vieira,s finger infection in London)
I watched the video of her talking on late night talk shows when she got home, she was REALLY trashing the NHS and even trying to make it a mockery, she said that when she showed her doctor in the states the anti-biotics the private Doctor in London prescribed her ---- he said we dont even use this type of drug anymore here in U.S. and then he told her that the UK Doc prescribed the wrong meds, they are prescribed for Syphilis!!!! well maybe thats what she has Syphilis of the finger
And just to think I used to like Meredith on the Millionaire show, and the View, and also when she moved to the TODAY show I liked her then too,
I didn't even know that she has left the Today show already, turns out that they offered her $11 million for another years contract in 2011 and she decided to not sign for another year, I suppose she prefers to have more time to look after her terminally ill husband, that makes sense to me,
and after all how much money really does a person need?
I wish her husband well though,
Old Sep 8th 2012, 4:14 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Some Americans are very threatened by the NHS. I guess she's one of them.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Ya but how much after taxes are taken out?

I think about the salaries of the newscaster quite a lot and I'm mad because they are giving out propaganda for various organizations and corporations.

They act like they are average people one of us?

In her case her husband has serious medical conditions so I have a little compassion for.

BTW I think she has gone part-time so her salary, this year, has probably 'tanked'
I'm not the least bit worried about her wages and taxes but the properganda bothers me.

I liked Meredith until she had an attitude about the NHS, she didn't even like the private care she received so that's that, I certainly feel sorry for her with her husbands M.S. problem, I wouldn't want to walk in her shoes.

My Neighbor a family man has M.S. just like Merediths husband, in his late 40's and an E.M.T. at least he was until he lost his job, last weekend he got kicked out of his home together with wife n kids, and that's what bugs me about this country, people that could use a help in tough times get treated like crap.

Seeing the huge guy representing the bank roll up in his beat up chevy pick-up and tell them they had to leave just made me feel sick, these people are not dressed in suits, they are hired by the banks to do the dirty work, it was awful...
Old Sep 8th 2012, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not the least bit worried about her wages and taxes but the properganda bothers me.

I liked Meredith until she had an attitude about the NHS, she didn't even like the private care she received so that's that, I certainly feel sorry for her with her husbands M.S. problem, I wouldn't want to walk in her shoes.

My Neighbor a family man has M.S. just like Merediths husband, in his late 40's and an E.M.T. at least he was until he lost his job, last weekend he got kicked out of his home together with wife n kids, and that's what bugs me about this country, people that could use a help in tough times get treated like crap.

Seeing the huge guy representing the bank roll up in his beat up chevy pick-up and tell them they had to leave just made me feel sick, these people are not dressed in suits, they are hired by the banks to do the dirty work, it was awful...
I'm sure you watch on TV when people say this, the US, is the greatest country on earth. Both of the political conventions were full of this. Sorry Denise.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 10:39 pm
Banned

sile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nice

Originally Posted by cheers
I'm sure you watch on TV when people say this, the US, is the greatest country on earth. Both of the political conventions were full of this. Sorry Denise.
I just have to say that many Americans do not feel that everything here is perfect by any means, but what do you expect people to say about their own countries, especially at a political rally...that we suck? and America IS pretty great, btw.

I know this is a mainly British forum, but what is up with all the US bashing, particularly by expats who actually choose to LIVE HERE?
Old Sep 8th 2012, 11:13 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sile
I just have to say that many Americans do not feel that everything here is perfect by any means, but what do you expect people to say about their own countries, especially at a political rally...that we suck? and America IS pretty great, btw.

I know this is a mainly British forum, but what is up with all the US bashing, particularly by expats who actually choose to LIVE HERE?
Oh jeez get a sense of humor, I think they sell them at K-Mart.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

We are just joining in with the views of our American neighbors.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 7:10 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

It's cultural. Brits don't walk around congratulating themselves on being great all the time. Our political conventions aren't about how fabulous Britain is - they're about policy. No one ever claims that England is 'the greatest country on earth.' Well, except for Boris Johnson (look him up and you'll see why we don't pay too much attention to him ).

I always thought America seemed a very insecure country when I lived there. Like the girl in high school who's always telling everyone how pretty and clever she is, because deep down she's very unsure of herself.

If you ever do move to England, you'll be confounded by our ways, just was we are confounded by yours. You'll find yourself exasperated by things you just don't get and you'll talk about it to other Americans. Then you'll understand why ex-pats here criticize aspects of America. It's not 'bashing' - it's honest dialogue.

But also, look at where we are - this is the section of the site for people who want to move back. They may be living in America, but in most cases they don't want to. If you want to hear nice things about America, check the USA section. There are lots of Brits who love it over there. I just wasn't one of them.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Sile, read and absorb Sallysimmons post above and you won't go far wrong.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Sile... just so you know, not all of us chose to live here, and not all of us dislike it here, we just dislike certain things, but that could be said of the UK too, If you move to Ireland I'm sure you will have those feelings too.

Once you've walked in our shoes you will understand much better, Emigrating looks easy to some but is a much bigger life changer than most people can explain.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 7:04 pm
Banned

sile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nice

Hello Sile... just so you know, not all of us chose to live here, and not all of us dislike it here, we just dislike certain things, but that could be said of the UK too, If you move to Ireland I'm sure you will have those feelings too.

Once you've walked in our shoes you will understand much better, Emigrating looks easy to some but is a much bigger life changer than most people can explain.
Hello all,

I am sure what you say is true, including the fact that emigrating is huge, and I completely understand that no matter where one is, there will be things that you dislike, and certainly everyone has the right to voice their opinion, especially on a forum like this.

That said, I find it somewhat .... I don't really know the word that fits here...maybe mean-spirited, when some folks here paint the country with a broad and sometimes wrongly colored brush, saying things like we are all too full of patriotism that we voice too loudly, or we are the "laughing stock of the world" in one regard or another, or we are all ignorant or whatever. I am an American and I love my country in many ways, and I am proud of all we do that's right.

Don't forget that any country is made up of individuals, including, in this case, me, my parents, grandparents, friends, ancestors. So, when an insult is hurled at "America", it's essentially being hurled at all of us.

I know anyone here would feel the same if the tables were turned. It kind of gets your back up.

Additionally, it kind of bugs me to hear people insult Americans when I know they are working for Americans, running businesses that Americans purchase from, and taking full advantage of things we have to offer, and then they turn around and insult us. That seems wrong to me.

Last edited by sile; Sep 9th 2012 at 7:13 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 7:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,

I am sure what you say is true, including the fact that emigrating is huge, and I completely understand that no matter where one is, there will be things that you dislike, and certainly everyone has the right to voice their opinion, especially on a forum like this.

That said, I find it somewhat .... I don't really know the word that fits here...maybe mean-spirited, when some folks here paint the country with a broad and sometimes wrongly colored (?) brush, saying things like we are all too full of patriotism that we voice too loudly, or we are the "laughing stock of the world" in one regard or another, or we are all ignorant or whatever. I am an American and I love my country in many ways, and I am proud of all we do that's right.

Don't forget that any country is made up of individuals, including, in this case, me, my parents, grandparents, friends, ancestors. So, when an insult is hurled at "America", it's essentially being hurled at all of us.

I know anyone here would feel the same if the tables were turned. It kind of gets your back up.

Additionally, it kind of bugs me to hear people insult Americans when I know they are working for Americans, running businesses that Americans purchase from, and taking full advantage of things we have to offer, and then they turn around and insult us. That seems wrong to me.
On the other hand, it's a forum for British Expats and we don't wish to be dictated to.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 7:33 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
On the other hand, it's a forum for British Expats and we don't wish to be dictated to.
I am clearly not "dictating" to anyone. I am expressing my opinion...my feelings on a subject.

Perhaps, if you think this forum should be restricted to British Expats, you should contact the administrator and they can modify the rules so that I and any others from countries that are not part of the British Empire can be told not to participate, or at the very least, we can be told not to express ourselves in any way other than what you think is acceptable.

Last edited by sile; Sep 9th 2012 at 7:37 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 7:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I am clearly not "dictating" to anyone. I am expressing my opinion...my feelings on a subject.

Perhaps, if you think this forum should be restricted to British Expats, you should contact the moderator and they can modify the rules so that I and any others from countries that are not part of the British Empire can be told not to participate, or at the very least, we can be told not to express ourselves in any way other than what you think is acceptable.
That's not what I said but never mind. You are impossible to talk to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.