Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Apr 23rd 2012, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Here's an interesting article on UK life expectancy......it seems that if one hopes to have a very long life, then it may be best to live in Southern England, in particular this little village in Somerset

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...nt-Bootle.html
Nice read. the elderly people who live where I currently do are aged from 86 up to 98, and one who was 102 died last year! They are all mobile and look after their own daily needs. Must be the water....
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Here's an interesting article on UK life expectancy......it seems that if one hopes to have a very long life, then it may be best to live in Southern England, in particular this little village in Somerset

I live in no 5 on the list
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Looks like we made the right choice coming home to Dorset then ;-) lol
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 6:34 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

About halfway down they get to the root of the matter which is that wealth is what matters when it comes to longevity, not where you live. The places on the list have a high concentration of wealth and therefore health is better in those places. No doubt Altrincham has a much better life expectancy than Salford *eye roll*

Seriously - people at the Daily Mail actually get paid for this stuff
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

This is off topic.. I will be in California for month of May. Do any Brits live near Oceanside?It would be nice to meet a fellow expat..
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

OMG - 4 of the places with the shortest life expectancy are in Northern Ireland, including my home town (Londonderry). I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that there has been high unemployment there for many years (even before the recession). I just wonder what factors were taken into account.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
About halfway down they get to the root of the matter which is that wealth is what matters when it comes to longevity, not where you live. The places on the list have a high concentration of wealth and therefore health is better in those places. No doubt Altrincham has a much better life expectancy than Salford *eye roll*

I think you're right about the wealth. You really need to have money to live in those lovely little villages in the South of England.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney, I hope you are feeling a lot of guilt as you lounge around your home!
Why? Because we are having record breaking high temperatures here.
101 degrees today in Las Vegas and its only April 23. Can't wait for July so it will really heat up!
Cheers
Old Apr 24th 2012, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair, it was in The Guardian too, and probably all the papers.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rebs
To be fair, it was in The Guardian too, and probably all the papers.
and on the local news too!
Old Apr 24th 2012, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Ive never hard of that, my wife has a few Aunties and Uncles well over 70 and they drive, Im 56, I plan on working till at least 70 and maybe past that, so I will need a vehicle and insurance in order to do that...
My Mum is still diving her car, she has had the same insurance company for at least 15 years and she pay's £414 per year fully comp, never a problem getting it renewed at her age of 92, never had an accident, never claimed,
Old Apr 24th 2012, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Englishmum thanks for posting this link, I read it all and apparently they say the longest lives are from seniors living in the South and near the beach
Like me well Im 67 in June, I dont expect to live anywhere as long as my Mum in her 90's but if I can get another 10 good years out of this life then I will be more then happy.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 11:52 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi Englishmum thanks for posting this link, I read it all and apparently they say the longest lives are from seniors living in the South and near the beach
Again, that's where the wealthy people go when they retire. Spend a lifetime as a well-off person and you will live longer than the average person whether you are in Glasgow or Cornwall. Sorry Rodney - not sure your current location will help much
Old Apr 24th 2012, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Again, that's where the wealthy people go when they retire. Spend a lifetime as a well-off person and you will live longer than the average person whether you are in Glasgow or Cornwall. Sorry Rodney - not sure your current location will help much
Oh Damn it oh well at least I think that being home with all the stress gone and a much gentler climate will benefit me somewhat
Old Apr 24th 2012, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
Rodney, I hope you are feeling a lot of guilt as you lounge around your home!
Why? Because we are having record breaking high temperatures here.
101 degrees today in Las Vegas and its only April 23. Can't wait for July so it will really heat up!
Cheers
Thanks cheers, I know that the hot long summers in Vegas was the top hate for me living there,
You know Ive been thinking a lot since Ive been home of what are the really important things that I love about being home,

CLOSENESS,
well of course I love the closeness of everything, to be able to leave the house and take my shopping trolley and walk to the high street where every single shop big and small (even a local butchers shop and greengrocers)
are within a 7 minute brisk walk, Ahh the excersise Im getting now along with the really fresh air that Im breathing in my lungs, oh its great,
I wont ever need to have a car anymore, no more hassle and stress of driving in traffic, not to mention the cost of running a car that I dont have any more

FREE BUS PASS,
I love it!!!!! I can hop on a bus and go anywhere near or far and for free
The Beach is 20 minutes away by bus, and there are a dozen little villages all within half hour to 45 minutes by bus,

FRIENDLINESS OF PEOPLE,
I have found that everyone is friendly and helpful and on the whole have a good sense of humor still,

NHS, sorry I cant see any negatives, I have had a lot of care since Ive been home last 16 months including a hernia operation, my care has been the best Ive ever experienced anywhere, and free prescriptions if you are over 60, I know the cuts are coming but even if they do there worst, it will still Im sure be a lot better then what I have been used to,

Television and Radio,
Well all I can say is I have found far more quality programs to hear and watch then I was used to in my old life, and the BBC TV and Radio is top notch first class entertainment in my opinion, but all the freeview channels are great too, I dont have to pay almost $100 per month in cable charges any more, we dont even have to pay for a TV Licence over here cause Mum is over 75 ------ almost 93 so theres no charge at all for TV, I love it,

BUT really if I were to list all the things that I love about being home then it would take a lot longer then the time I have now,

But I would say cheers the weather is my all time top thing that I love about being home, I love the coolness of the winds, and the rain, and the lovely shapes the white fluffy clouds make, and even on a windy cold and rainy day when most of Britain is complaining ----- Im loving it !!!!! to me its great, and I love the constant changing of the climate here, it can be a lovely sunny day in the nice pleasant 70,s with blue skies and sunshine without a single cloud anywhere and then an hour of less later it can be 10 degrease cooler and the skies are full of beautiful fluffy clouds,
I love sitting in the garden on a nice day and seeing birds of all species flying in the sky, even the birds look happy I love to listen to them singing,
Cheers all the time I lived in Vegas I dont remember seeing birds at all? can you check please the next time your there, I know its too hot and dry for flies to live, so you rarely see a single fly,
I love all weather over here, good or bad is always good to me but I think me coming from Vegas does have a lot to do with it, to those who dont know about Vegas weather ------ well for a good 7 months its hot, very hot indeed, 100 to 115 every day, its rare to see a cloud in the summer or even winter months, the sky seems to be a perfect blue all the time,
Along with all this its soooooo dry all the time, they get an average of 3 inches of rain each year ----- normally an inch every 4 months, it sometimes rains all day and then you will not see a single drop for another 4 months,

NOW people who come from other places like say Seattle where the climate is I think simular to the South of England would not see too much difference in the weather when they come back home, but me well I REALLY notice the difference, its much cooler and therefore better, and it rains quite a lot here and thats so wonderful, I absolutely love it!!! I knew I would
Call me Crazy or call me satisfied and contented and the happiest Ive ever been in my whole life ---- and thats the GOD honest truth.
Take care everyone and NEVER never give up you dream, I know its real hard for some of you to make your dream come true right now, but please dont ever give up, it will happen one day for you too, all of you.
And you will be home and happy
Rodney.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.