Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Apr 20th 2012, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by cheers
Wow what a surprise. Read on.

I have noticed from reading the boxes on toothpaste that Colgate seems to have a monopoly on the toothpaste market in the US. Look at the shelves sometime at the store and you will see what I mean. All the shelf space is taken by Colgate. I've even bought what I thought were other brands only to find out in the small print that those brands are also Colgate. There is no getting away from them, or so I thought.
I try to avoid Colgate because of their higher price and I usually get UltraBrite which is cheaper but in very small print it also says Colgate Parmolive. I may ad that I think all the Colgate toothpast is made in Mexico hense the high price.
Well a few days ago there was a sale on a toothpaste called Aquafresh so I bought a tube and I really like it, so much so I wanted to buy another tube when it was still on sale. Today I decided to check if it was also made by Colgate and to my surprise it wasn't. The bigger surprise was when I read it was made in....wait for it......England. Stone the crows! I will definately buy more of that brand until Colgate buys out that brand also.
We have been also been able to buy Yardleys hand soap at Walgreens which smells really good but unfortunately it is made under license in the US.
Cadburys has gone hog wild in the US recently and put their name on everything, or so it seems, and yesterday I even saw they even have an ice cream product in the ice cream freezer See what I mean?
I forget which American company bought them but I boycott them because of what they did to British workers when they moved some of their production to Poland after saying they wouldn't do that prior to buying Cadburys.

Cheers
Cheers - Cadbury's is now owned by Kraft foods & it seems the natives have noticed the difference and are seemingly restless:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...et-furore.html

Some things just shouldn't be messed with
Old Apr 20th 2012, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
What! was that in a foreign country or in the US?
California! ironically it happened right in your neighborhood. (think Sierra foothills)
I think the agents have a very boring job so its no wonder they get into lumber (mischief) sometimes.

Cheers
Old Apr 20th 2012, 3:55 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

California! ironically it happened right in your neighborhood. (think Sierra foothills)
I think the agents have a very boring job so its no wonder they get into lumber (mischief) sometimes.

Cheers
Oh yes, theres always a big stink here, the feds think they are the ultimate authority here its usually about Marijuana. State says the Pot shops with a prescription or grow your own is legal but the feds don't like it, even though it was voted in by a majority of the people. So every now and then they raid the pot shops and cause havoc.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow what a surprise. Read on.

Cadburys has gone hog wild in the US recently and put their name on everything, or so it seems, and yesterday I even saw they even have an ice cream product in the ice cream freezer See what I mean?
I forget which American company bought them but I boycott them because of what they did to British workers when they moved some of their production to Poland after saying they wouldn't do that prior to buying Cadburys.

Cheers
Kraft bought out Cadburys. They use Fairtrade cocoa to make some of their chocolate - a big plus in their favour. Yes UK chocolate tastes different - no corn based sweetener. And the UK tends to use far less sugar in the manufactured products - takes a bit of adjusting, but after about a year, I am now adjusted.

Last edited by islandwoman120; Apr 20th 2012 at 4:20 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Kraft bought out Cadburys. They use Fairtrade cocoa to make some of their chocolate - a big plus in their favour. Yes UK chocolate tastes different - no corn based sweetener. And the UK tends to use far less sugar in the manufactured products - takes a bit of adjusting, but after about a year, I am now adjusted.
That's what I hate about the food here (especially the bread) it is so sweet. I have now found a brand of bread that doesn't used the corn syrup (Brownberry) and I only buy that brand. I just don't like most of the food here. IMO, even the fruit doesn't taste as good as back home.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 5:35 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Also there's a requirement on how much cocoa is used in chocolate in the UK and it's higher than chocolate in the US. I rarely ate chocolate in America because it was so rank. Now that I'm back, I'm in danger of getting very large!
Old Apr 20th 2012, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Also there's a requirement on how much cocoa is used in chocolate in the UK and it's higher than chocolate in the US. I rarely ate chocolate in America because it was so rank. Now that I'm back, I'm in danger of getting very large!
Understood! I pigged out on chocolate for the first few months, but now am a little better . Still have to ration my buying (and my eating!), because I sure love the stuff! I walk a lot though, to keep on top of the cellulite....lol.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 8:02 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Understood! I pigged out on chocolate for the first few months, but now am a little better . Still have to ration my buying (and my eating!), because I sure love the stuff! I walk a lot though, to keep on top of the cellulite....lol.
We have walked so much in the last few days and it feels great - at least I'm earning the odd treat now The town we're in is great for calorie burning because everything is within striking distance and there are a lot of hills.

The problem is we've been inundated with chocolate gifts. It's really hard to resist when it's just sitting there. And my other weakness is custard tarts - YUM!
Old Apr 20th 2012, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

We have walked so much in the last few days and it feels great - at least I'm earning the odd treat now The town we're in is great for calorie burning because everything is within striking distance and there are a lot of hills.

The problem is we've been inundated with chocolate gifts. It's really hard to resist when it's just sitting there. And my other weakness is custard tarts - YUM!
It is hard to resist British sweets.....My brother here in Belfast is pretty skinny and has Crunchies, Maltesers and Cadbury Flakes always in his house. So yummy and so I have taken to walking his Irish Setter three times daily. Next Wednesday is looming far too fast. I could stay here forever. It has been a brilliant trip. I am at a hotel in Larne tonight with a beautiful sea view. Judging a dog show tomorrow. The Titanic Museum yesterday was incredible. I love my city of birth and have renewed vigour to get moving in this direction.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

OK folks, I just had a mini melt down in central Frome. I was walking with a gardener friend in the market area, where the market was being dismantled at the end of the trading day, and there in front of us, in full view of all and sundry, were two young yobs in their early to mid 20s, riding trick bikes on the flower containers and benches. Their bikes were expensive looking, with no seats. We stopped to watch in horror at what they were doing to the flowers, then I could stand no more and went over to talk to them. They said their bikes were adapted by them for doing tricks, there were no other suitable places locally to ride them as they wanted to, and that the flowers were put in by the council so, as they 'paid their taxes' they could do what they wanted and the council could replace the flowers. When I took them to task on that issue, and asked if the flowers were in front of their own house and I did to them what they were doing, how would they feel (I knew I was on a loser here but kept going regardless) they said their friends would probably be doing the same thing so it did not matter to them. I gave up at that point, feeling the internal volcano rising inside my head. I went into a local store, they called the Community Police, one of the private Security Guards (who had been no where to be seen when needed) came to find me, and he dealt with them - while I hot footed it home to safety and my own space of sanity. My friend, who had been unsure of my reason for wanting to leave Frome, now understands my frustration. I think she was in a total state of shock at what the yobs were doing - she lives in another part of Frome where it is quiet. I am counting down the days....
Old Apr 21st 2012, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

OK folks, I just had a mini melt down in central Frome. I was walking with a gardener friend in the market area, where the market was being dismantled at the end of the trading day, and there in front of us, in full view of all and sundry, were two young yobs in their early to mid 20s, riding trick bikes on the flower containers and benches. Their bikes were expensive looking, with no seats. We stopped to watch in horror at what they were doing to the flowers, then I could stand no more and went over to talk to them. They said their bikes were adapted by them for doing tricks, there were no other suitable places locally to ride them as they wanted to, and that the flowers were put in by the council so, as they 'paid their taxes' they could do what they wanted and the council could replace the flowers. When I took them to task on that issue, and asked if the flowers were in front of their own house and I did to them what they were doing, how would they feel (I knew I was on a loser here but kept going regardless) they said their friends would probably be doing the same thing so it did not matter to them. I gave up at that point, feeling the internal volcano rising inside my head. I went into a local store, they called the Community Police, one of the private Security Guards (who had been no where to be seen when needed) came to find me, and he dealt with them - while I hot footed it home to safety and my own space of sanity. My friend, who had been unsure of my reason for wanting to leave Frome, now understands my frustration. I think she was in a total state of shock at what the yobs were doing - she lives in another part of Frome where it is quiet. I am counting down the days....
How dreadful.

I'm quite close to you (14 miles) and its nothing like that here.

I hope you find you find peace, and your sanity returns in your new home
Old Apr 21st 2012, 9:03 pm
Finally Home!

We walked into town tonight for a drink and I was looking everywhere for the hoodies and hooligans. Instead, we saw a lot of couples, and a few small groups of middle-aged men having a pint together. There were some kids with skateboards hanging about by the station being a bit loud as kids are, but not doing anyone any harm. This is a lovely town. I feel very lucky that we landed here as our first stop.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

We walked into town tonight for a drink and I was looking everywhere for the hoodies and hooligans. Instead, we saw a lot of couples, and a few small groups of middle-aged men having a pint together. There were some kids with skateboards hanging about by the station being a bit loud as kids are, but not doing anyone any harm. This is a lovely town. I feel very lucky that we landed here as our first stop.
and..where is your second stop????
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 5:02 pm
Finally Home!

Cheers, I keep saying. We'll be in the Harrogate area - about 15 minutes from here.

Today I drove for the first time and it felt much more natural than I expected. All the road signs came back to me and I knew what to do at roundabouts etc. We drove about a hour north to Jervaulx Abbey (http://www.jervaulxabbey.com/home.php) which is lovely. An old ruined monastery surrounded by fields filled with sheep and lambs - and green rolling hills as far as the eye can see. We had it almost to ourselves although a family did arrive just before we left.

On the way back we stopped in Ripon for lunch - didn't see Lord and Lady Grantham though!

Yesterday we took the train into York and did some shopping - the place was packed by lunchtime. You'd never know there was a recession with all the people shopping.

So far we both agree that very little seems to have changed - although the food and wine are better - and we feel more at home than we expected having been gone so long. Tomorrow we get back to work full-time but because of the time difference between us and our clients, we'll still have the morning to do stuff. We want to try and buy a car this week if we can.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers, I keep saying. We'll be in the Harrogate area - about 15 minutes from here.

Today I drove for the first time and it felt much more natural than I expected. All the road signs came back to me and I knew what to do at roundabouts etc. We drove about a hour north to Jervaulx Abbey (http://www.jervaulxabbey.com/home.php) which is lovely. An old ruined monastery surrounded by fields filled with sheep and lambs - and green rolling hills as far as the eye can see. We had it almost to ourselves although a family did arrive just before we left.

On the way back we stopped in Ripon for lunch - didn't see Lord and Lady Grantham though!

Yesterday we took the train into York and did some shopping - the place was packed by lunchtime. You'd never know there was a recession with all the people shopping.

So far we both agree that very little seems to have changed - although the food and wine are better - and we feel more at home than we expected having been gone so long. Tomorrow we get back to work full-time but because of the time difference between us and our clients, we'll still have the morning to do stuff. We want to try and buy a car this week if we can.
Sounds like you are settling in really well and I admire you for having the courage to drive there already!! Was it an automatic car? Just wondering. I am such a coward - I haven't driven in the UK for close to 15 years. I am too scared - almost had an accident on a roundabout back in 1997 so that put me off!! I love York. It is one of my favorite British cities (absolute favorite is Edinburgh). When I lived in Cheshire and my parents came to visit (from Northern Ireland) I used to take them to visit York and Chester - both beautiful cities with so much to do and see and so much history. How is your husband liking it back in the UK?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.