Wikiposts

On our way...

Old Nov 14th 2008, 2:39 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: On our way...

Originally Posted by robnewman
Apparently, I need to fill in form P85 and return it to my tax office... based upon the answers I give on this form, they will assign me an "NT code" which will mean my pay each month will be gross and not taxable. This is dependant however on me being permanently resident in the US and none of my work duties being in the UK. The tax people then work out any new codes, and if any refund is due.
I read that, but it would appear to be a bit of an over simplification. According to the employers' manuals, you are allowed to return to the UK to perform "merely incidental" duties: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/eim40203.htm without incurring a UK tax liability, but any substantive duties performed in the UK would be liable to UK tax, as a proportion of your working year: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/EIM77020.htm

What I'm not clear about (and this would prob involve a phone call to IRS) is whether, in a situation where you were performing, say, 10% of your duties in the UK (and paying UK tax on 10% of your wages) you'd be able to be exempted from paying US tax on that 10%.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed dbj1000... Now I'll have to file in the US AND the UK... I love paperwork... I think I'm becoming personally responsible for climate change with all the trees I've had cut down for forms and paperwork!

Oh, wait til your here... you will be absolutely astonded by the amount of unnecessary paperwork you have to fill out.. reams & reams & reams & reams & reams & reams........
Old Nov 14th 2008, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

robnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to all

well if the visa application is anything to go by... everything will be in triplicate... and I'll even have to file forms to get permission to file forms!

Still, I guess it keeps me busy and out of trouble!
Old Nov 21st 2008, 5:09 am
Forum Regular

robnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to all

Well, we are now HERE!

Got to the Seattle immigration desks on Wednesday evening and within an hour we were finger printed, stampped and approved... Spent the last couple of days getting over jet lag, trying to open bank accounts and other such stuff... and having steak for breakfast... I love this country!

The only "glitch" so far is that despite my "how to be american" handbook I got at the embassy before my move tells me to get a bank account and set things up as soon as possible, thanks to the good old patriot act (THANK YOU GEORGE "YOU'RE A BLOODY IDIOT" BUSH) I now have to wait till I receive my social security number before I can do ANYTHING!

Luckily my current employment is still based in the UK and I can still get paid between now and then...

Anyhoo... Things are going well so far... If anybody is around the Tri-Cities in Washington, let me know!

And Meauxna... whenever you're ready for that wine tasting trip, just drop a line!
Old Nov 21st 2008, 5:57 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Woohoo, Welcome home, robnewman!

Steak for breakfast.. make me laugh. That was the DH when he first got here; he thought he was in beef heaven... lol. You betcha you'll hear from us; we just got gifted with a trip to Joseph OR this summer so Road Trip it is!
Old Nov 21st 2008, 7:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Well, we are now HERE!

Got to the Seattle immigration desks on Wednesday evening and within an hour we were finger printed, stampped and approved... Spent the last couple of days getting over jet lag, trying to open bank accounts and other such stuff... and having steak for breakfast... I love this country!

The only "glitch" so far is that despite my "how to be american" handbook I got at the embassy before my move tells me to get a bank account and set things up as soon as possible, thanks to the good old patriot act (THANK YOU GEORGE "YOU'RE A BLOODY IDIOT" BUSH) I now have to wait till I receive my social security number before I can do ANYTHING!

Luckily my current employment is still based in the UK and I can still get paid between now and then...

Anyhoo... Things are going well so far... If anybody is around the Tri-Cities in Washington, let me know!

And Meauxna... whenever you're ready for that wine tasting trip, just drop a line!
Welcome!

My husband was added to my bank account before he had a SSN - wasn't a problem at all. Some banks are more cooperative than others I guess.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 4:57 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Mine too, AND he was admitted as a PR.

I argued with them that they'd allow a temporary visitor to have an account if they completed W-9, so why should my DH, with a greater status than 'visitor' be penalized?! This apparently baffled them long enough to get the job done. When the SSN came, we went in and updated so his .02 savings interest could be properly reported to the IRS.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 5:12 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to this side of the pond. Nice part of the State Tri-Cities only draw back my sister-in-law lives in Walla Walla
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 5:14 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
Welcome!

My husband was added to my bank account before he had a SSN - wasn't a problem at all. Some banks are more cooperative than others I guess.
It seems from postings here and personal experience (Portland Teachers CU) that banks are more willing to accept people without a SSN, while credit unions are not.