Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Our moving back timescale - 3 months on

Our moving back timescale - 3 months on

Old Aug 17th 2010, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Our moving back timescale - 3 months on

Just thought I would post a quick breakdown of our move back from Perth. It might give others a pointer to how the process happens.

30/03 - gave notice at work
16/04 - gave notice on rental
30/04 - left work
07/05 - son stopped class 1
11/05 - Wrappers arrived and packed for 2 days
13/05 - container packed & lifted
15/05 - handed back rental keys
16/05 - flew from Perth
17/05 - Arrived in Europe. Holiday
27/05 - Flew to uk. Wife and kids stayed in Europe
05/06 - found nice rental after seeing a couple of no-no's
12/05 - signed rental (6 month lease)
13/05 - flew back to europe to collect family. Holiday
24/06 - family flew to uk
25/06 - moved into rental (3 suitcases, begged & borrowed bedding)
25/06 - afternoon interview with recruitment agent in London
29/06 - first interview with potential employer
06/07 - sons interview for class 1 at school
08/07 - son offered place in class one
14/07 - second interview
15/07 - container arrived (254 boxes in the house)
15/07 - references requested
19/07 - job offer
26/07 - accepted job offer
09/08 - started job
10/08 - started looking at properties with a view to buying late 2010.

We are still unpacking and repacking, but have settled back into a nice routine here in the UK. We joined the National Trust straightaway and have already recouped our family ticket's cost twice over in visits to beautiful old homes and gardens in the full bloom of summer. The next big hurdle will be a mortgage, but having a full-time work contract and a clean credit history should help.

It was a fun few years in Perth, but it's good to be back. My family all live close by and it is great to be back together with the kids playing with their cousins. Good luck to everyone thinking of coming home. I hope the above helps you to visualise the process as a collection of straightforward, interconnected factors - as opposed to the huge pile of fear and worries it can sometimes appear.

cheers
Old Aug 17th 2010, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our moving back timescale - 3 months on

Well done, it does sound like you had a really smooth process there. Good to see that it was easy for you to jump back on the employment wagon as well. Good luck with the mortgage now!
Old Aug 20th 2010, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mbike
Just thought I would post a quick breakdown of our move back from Perth. It might give others a pointer to how the process happens.

30/04 - left work
16/05 - flew from Perth
14/07 - second interview
19/07 - job offer
09/08 - started job

We are still unpacking and repacking, but have settled back into a nice routine here in the UK. We joined the National Trust straightaway and have already recouped our family ticket's cost twice over in visits to beautiful old homes and gardens in the full bloom of summer. The next big hurdle will be a mortgage, but having a full-time work contract and a clean credit history should help.

It was a fun few years in Perth, but it's good to be back. My family all live close by and it is great to be back together with the kids playing with their cousins. Good luck to everyone thinking of coming home. I hope the above helps you to visualise the process as a collection of straightforward, interconnected factors - as opposed to the huge pile of fear and worries it can sometimes appear.

cheers
Well done. Good luck with the future.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 6:43 am
Account Closed

Picnic is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations from me too!

Would it be too nosey to ask whereabouts in the UK you returned to and your field of employment? It might give encouragement to those about to make the leap!
Old Aug 20th 2010, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
Well done. Good luck with the future.
Thanks Poppet,

I remember we were on the same timescale give or take a few weeks earlier in the year. Hope things work out for you, too.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Picnic
Congratulations from me too!

Would it be too nosey to ask whereabouts in the UK you returned to and your field of employment? It might give encouragement to those about to make the leap!
Hi Picnic,

No worries. We wanted to try somewhere new when we moved back, having lived mostly in London. We settled for Mid-Sussex, close to Haywards Heath and the Brighton Mainline into London. It is lovely to be so close to areas of natural beauty like the South Downs, Ashdown Forest, High Weald etc. I work in advertising, so need to be relatively close to London.

FWIW I think all job markets here are tight at the moment, but the key thing is to remember that most of the people you are up against for the role have just been let go by someone else and are therefore psychologically feeling a bit down. By contrast, you have just arrived back and are full of excitement and optimism. Employers love to see this in potential employees and mine gave this as one of the reasons I got the role.

Good luck
Old Aug 24th 2010, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Picnic,

No worries. We wanted to try somewhere new when we moved back, having lived mostly in London. We settled for Mid-Sussex, close to Haywards Heath and the Brighton Mainline into London. It is lovely to be so close to areas of natural beauty like the South Downs, Ashdown Forest, High Weald etc. I work in advertising, so need to be relatively close to London.

FWIW I think all job markets here are tight at the moment, but the key thing is to remember that most of the people you are up against for the role have just been let go by someone else and are therefore psychologically feeling a bit down. By contrast, you have just arrived back and are full of excitement and optimism. Employers love to see this in potential employees and mine gave this as one of the reasons I got the role.

Good luck
Thanks for the encouraging words regarding your return and job acceptance. I amsure many will feel their spirits boosted by them - there are too many doom-and-gloomers out there, and you are not one of them. Many thanks from a soon to be returnee and job seeker in Suffolk.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Thanks for the encouraging words regarding your return and job acceptance. I amsure many will feel their spirits boosted by them - there are too many doom-and-gloomers out there, and you are not one of them. Many thanks from a soon to be returnee and job seeker in Suffolk.
Thanks. I'm glad our experience has reassured and inspired you. Good luck with your return.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 2:02 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought I would post a quick breakdown of our move back from Perth.....
It was a fun few years in
Good luck to everyone thinking of coming home. I hope the above helps you to visualise the process as a collection of straightforward, interconnected factors - as opposed to the huge pile of fear and worries it can sometimes appear.
Mbike,

Thanks for posting that. It shows how easily it can be done once the decision is made.

All the best to you and your family!
Old Aug 25th 2010, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

30/04 - left work
16/05 - flew from Perth
14/07 - second interview
19/07 - job offer
09/08 - started job

cheers
Well done and welcome home....it's not so bad here is it....we are enjoying ourselves as well and ditto your last paragraph....all the best
Old Aug 26th 2010, 2:24 am
Just Joined

anonomoz is a jewel in the roughanonomoz is a jewel in the roughanonomoz is a jewel in the roughanonomoz is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the useful thread. We are in the throws of starting our return and you are in our "neck of the woods". We came from East Sussex 20 mins from Haywards Heath! Not heading back to exactly the same spot but round and about. Your mentioning of the sussex downs and Ashdown Forest brings a smile and determination to get back there too. We are south of Perth at the mo
Old Aug 27th 2010, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brits1
Well done and welcome home....it's not so bad here is it....we are enjoying ourselves as well and ditto your last paragraph....all the best
Thanks. And glad to hear you made it through to the other side ok. I do remember you were a few weeks ahead of us in the great escape.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by anonomoz
Thanks for the useful thread. We are in the throws of starting our return and you are in our "neck of the woods". We came from East Sussex 20 mins from Haywards Heath! Not heading back to exactly the same spot but round and about. Your mentioning of the sussex downs and Ashdown Forest brings a smile and determination to get back there too. We are south of Perth at the mo
Good luck with your move. We are newcomers to this area (moved here to be close to family in Lewes and Brighton) We will probably settle a bit further up towards East Grinstead but are loving the walks in the Forest and the beautiful green scenery.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

Kentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to all

Out of interest......What reaction do you get from people that you have returned? I don't mean those close to you.
Is it?'You're mad to come back...the country's had it etc.'
Or the smug 'We knew you'd be back'..etc.
Not that any of that would make any difference ...just having a little Pooh wonder.
Old Aug 28th 2010, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kentish Lass
Out of interest......What reaction do you get from people that you have returned? I don't mean those close to you.
Is it?'You're mad to come back...the country's had it etc.'
Or the smug 'We knew you'd be back'..etc.
Not that any of that would make any difference ...just having a little Pooh wonder.
So far we have only had a couple of remarks like that...but for the main everyone we have told seems fairly content with their lot here in the UK so can understand our reasons....and also the amount of people who know people etc who have also returned from the 4 corners of the globe...well its a small world....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.