Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Our moving back timescale - 3 months on

Our moving back timescale - 3 months on

Old Jan 13th 2011, 3:35 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our moving back timescale - 3 months on

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
A gobby cow, then?
I like her already, sounds like some of the girls I was was in school with.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
Well done.....we are still renting as we rented this home for a year but has given us plenty of time to look around the areas/counties....so far Derbyshire is winning but Cheshire is a close second.....all the best and nothing beats the feeling of having your own home again....
Yep,

After 7 years of rentals (6 months in in uk, 5 years in Aus, 6 months in uk), it is very, very nice to be able to call somewhere home again. Especially as we found our ideal home in a beautiful par of the country with just fun bits of DIY left to finish like knocking down a partition wall in the kitchen to fit in our side-by-side Fisher & Peykel fridge and freezer.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mbike
Yep,

After 7 years of rentals (6 months in in uk, 5 years in Aus, 6 months in uk), it is very, very nice to be able to call somewhere home again. Especially as we found our ideal home in a beautiful par of the country with just fun bits of DIY left to finish like knocking down a partition wall in the kitchen to fit in our side-by-side Fisher & Peykel fridge and freezer.
I cannot wait to be off to B & Q.....lol...all the very best of wishes for your new home
Old Jan 17th 2011, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot wait to be off to B & Q.....lol...all the very best of wishes for your new home
We still call B&Q "Bunnings" (and crisps "chips"). It's hard to shake off those kind of things.

btw, if you can't wait for a DIY store, I can only imagine how you'll feel at being able to go to proper supermarkets again. Sainsbury's, Tesco, Waitrose even Asda are light-years ahead of Coles and Woolies in every way. Shopping has actually become a pleasure again
Old Jan 17th 2011, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice

after reading all the threads here,it gives me good hope that we might end up back in the UK this year.We are always getting "what do you want to come back to this dump for"etc etc etc.At the end of the day its the people that haven't even ventured out of the country for more than a month.They have no idea what its like to be away from home for years and years,and not to have that connection with the Brits.
Are you all still glad you moved back ?
Old Jan 18th 2011, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cumbrian Lass
after reading all the threads here,it gives me good hope that we might end up back in the UK this year.We are always getting "what do you want to come back to this dump for"etc etc etc.At the end of the day its the people that haven't even ventured out of the country for more than a month.They have no idea what its like to be away from home for years and years,and not to have that connection with the Brits.
I think it helps not to think of things in absolutes. Leaving Aus and coming back to the UK felt right when we did it and feels even better now we're here and settled. But who knows where we will be in 10 or 20 years. Let's face it, the distance isn't too great and the cost of of relocation is basically about the same as a posh holiday. We became citizens and got passports before we left as a sign of our commitment to Australia, so leaving was never going to be a massive, definitive split. Do what you FEEL is right and try not to overthink things. And whatever you do, don't listen to the naysayers at either end!
Old Jan 21st 2011, 6:40 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pommybird
Yeah OK - like I said, SHE GETS IT FROM HER DAD, ALRIGHT
Uhm hmm Of course!
Old Jan 21st 2011, 9:52 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Somebody on a thread posted this a while back and I have retained it for future doom and gloom merchants in the UK who think I live in a sunny paradise

Them: Why do you want to come and live back in this miserable hole? How could you bear to leave Australia with it's endless beaches and sunshine and streets paved with gold?

Me: Have you ever lived in Australia?

Them: No.

Me: Well then.

I think this is just perfect.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Somebody on a thread posted this a while back and I have retained it for future doom and gloom merchants in the UK who think I live in a sunny paradise

Them: Why do you want to come and live back in this miserable hole? How could you bear to leave Australia with it's endless beaches and sunshine and streets paved with gold?

Me: Have you ever lived in Australia?

Them: No.

Me: Well then.

I think this is just perfect.
Shucks...wish I'd read that thread when we were leaving Aus...would of saved me lots of well thought out replies to some rude questions etc...
Old Jan 28th 2011, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice

I get this all of the time "why the hell do you want to go back to this dump (UK)??????
Now i just say to them "well have you lived here in Alberta or any where else in the world for that matter" the answer is always NO,so they dont know any different LOL
If you havent been any where else in the world ,you dont know...havent got a clue....so close your mouth LOL
Old Jan 28th 2011, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mbike
We still call B&Q "Bunnings" (and crisps "chips"). It's hard to shake off those kind of things.

btw, if you can't wait for a DIY store, I can only imagine how you'll feel at being able to go to proper supermarkets again. Sainsbury's, Tesco, Waitrose even Asda are light-years ahead of Coles and Woolies in every way. Shopping has actually become a pleasure again
I must admit....we did not say "lollies, chips or soccer" etc while in Aus....tried but just could not get the hang of it...my Italian friend (who was actually born and bred in Aus) said "I don't understand why you Brits start talking Aussie.....we dont"....lol...anyway I do slip up now and again with Dollars and Freeway's etc and still say Bunning's....I enjoy shopping once again...no thats a fib...I don't mind it lol....never keen on food shopping (well it's different for most women..it's a chore..lol)but I go now without the dread I use to have in Perth...more from the lack of choice or competition really....my "fav" place is really Sainsbury's (only because I love having a pot of tea and their toasted tea cakes are to die for...honestly) it's lovely to be able to shop then either stop for something to eat in the supermarket cafe or stop on the way home and not worry about items melting etc...lol...so there is some good in having cooler weather here in the U.K, the other evening my OH and myself went to try a different supermarket and spotted a lovely country pub on the way back home (it was 7pm during the week) stopped off for a glass of wine (small)...my OH a guest cask beer ....well what a way to end a food shopping trip....lol
Old Jan 28th 2011, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

I get this all of the time "why the hell do you want to go back to this dump (UK)??????
Now i just say to them "well have you lived here in Alberta or any where else in the world for that matter" the answer is always NO,so they dont know any different LOL
If you havent been any where else in the world ,you dont know...havent got a clue....so close your mouth LOL
I think thats the part that made me stressful of our return home.....now when I think of the damage caused to my much needed beauty sleep by those "type "of people ..uurrrggghhh what a waste....never mind...it's made me a bit wiser...a lot older..lol...and in some ways I think it's sad how some people react....hopefully I will always be encouraging where I might not once of been so if someone says "Hey I am off to outer Mongolia: etc I will wish them all the best.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think thats the part that made me stressful of our return home.....now when I think of the damage caused to my much needed beauty sleep by those "type "of people ..uurrrggghhh what a waste....never mind...it's made me a bit wiser...a lot older..lol...and in some ways I think it's sad how some people react....hopefully I will always be encouraging where I might not once of been so if someone says "Hey I am off to outer Mongolia: etc I will wish them all the best.
are you glad you did move back though ?
Old Jan 28th 2011, 9:53 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit....we did not say "lollies, chips or soccer" etc while in Aus....tried but just could not get the hang of it...my Italian friend (who was actually born and bred in Aus) said "I don't understand why you Brits start talking Aussie.....we dont"....lol...anyway I do slip up now and again with Dollars and Freeway's etc and still say Bunning's....I enjoy shopping once again...no thats a fib...I don't mind it lol....never keen on food shopping (well it's different for most women..it's a chore..lol)but I go now without the dread I use to have in Perth...more from the lack of choice or competition really....my "fav" place is really Sainsbury's (only because I love having a pot of tea and their toasted tea cakes are to die for...honestly) it's lovely to be able to shop then either stop for something to eat in the supermarket cafe or stop on the way home and not worry about items melting etc...lol...so there is some good in having cooler weather here in the U.K, the other evening my OH and myself went to try a different supermarket and spotted a lovely country pub on the way back home (it was 7pm during the week) stopped off for a glass of wine (small)...my OH a guest cask beer ....well what a way to end a food shopping trip....lol
I have been here 30 years so yes I do say some Aussie words like chips instead of crisps, real estate instead of estate agent, station wagon instead of estate car, etc. but don't worry I am prepared to revert back.

You make it sound just so lovely and simple and I know it's not going to be a picnic moving back but I have my one way ticket and I have 28 more sleeps to go and as jittery and scared as I am I am out of here!!
Old Jan 28th 2011, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I have been here 30 years so yes I do say some Aussie words like chips instead of crisps, real estate instead of estate agent, station wagon instead of estate car, etc. but don't worry I am prepared to revert back.

You make it sound just so lovely and simple and I know it's not going to be a picnic moving back but I have my one way ticket and I have 28 more sleeps to go and as jittery and scared as I am I am out of here!!
where abouts are you moving back to Beedubya ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.