Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Our latest cunning plan (Peterborough)

Wikiposts

Our latest cunning plan (Peterborough)

Old Oct 6th 2007, 12:37 pm

Triboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Our latest cunning plan (Peterborough)

OK, I don't post much here, but just to fill you in, my (non Aus/ Non UK) wife and I have been here in Oz for 15yrs+. We have been making plans for ages to return to the UK and have been been working out some logistics for for my wife (as it's not her home country) for a while. We return/holiday there on a regular basis so I know all about the changes etc etc.

One thing we have decided is that while I am desperate to go home, we will not move there until one of us has a good job offer. (we are both professionals, and earn pretty good money). Anyway, I have been looking at companies and roles that would offer int transfer opportunities to the UK/Europe, and although its early days, it looks like I will be offered a role based in Sydney (where we are now) but reporting directly to the UK and with a UK based boss, there will be numerous trips to the UK and all of Asia. Ironically the job is with my wife's company (although a different office) and she had a UK boss on secondment here until a couple of mths ago. He has now gone back but said he'd help whenever she was ready to come over. And we are meeting up in London when we return in Dec for Xmas (my first Xmas home in 18yrs )

The head office for my wife's division is in Bond St, London which doesn't appeal, but should I be offered this role my boss will be based in Peterborough. There is an initial commitment of being here for a year, but I have made clear my desire to be transferred after that and they are very happy to help with that when the time comes and appropriate roles available etc.

Whilst I will have options for all over the UK in theory, I would suspect the most direct route would be to go to Peterborough. But I have never been there and know nothing about the place at all. ( I am from Somerset) Any experiences?

I think it may be NB's neck of the woods?

thx in advance
Old Oct 6th 2007, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our latest cunning plan (Peterborough)

I lived in Peterborough once, but I was a toddler and just remember fields, a long old trek to the village Post Office and the neighbours having a Lassie dog! I think we were in a place called farcet (fawset... something like that) which was more like a farmers village back then. Not much help am I! I have heard since though that the main part is really quite built up compared to when I was there some 30 years ago. I guess you have already done all of the usual google searches for data/stats, rightmove.co.uk, images, forums etc? Hopefully someone on here will have more up to date personal experience to share.
All the best to you
Old Oct 6th 2007, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by USAGypsies
I lived in Peterborough once, but I was a toddler and just remember fields, a long old trek to the village Post Office and the neighbours having a Lassie dog! I think we were in a place called farcet (fawset... something like that) which was more like a farmers village back then. Not much help am I! I have heard since though that the main part is really quite built up compared to when I was there some 30 years ago. I guess you have already done all of the usual google searches for data/stats, rightmove.co.uk, images, forums etc? Hopefully someone on here will have more up to date personal experience to share.
All the best to you

Thanks for that. Well I typed some stuff like 'Peterborough virtual Tour' etc and got lots of text info but short on images. I'll try the site you mention. Just looking for an overview of the place, although I guess I'll get that pretty quickly if I do get offered the job
Old Oct 6th 2007, 1:55 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Triboy
Thanks for that. Well I typed some stuff like 'Peterborough virtual Tour' etc and got lots of text info but short on images. I'll try the site you mention. Just looking for an overview of the place, although I guess I'll get that pretty quickly if I do get offered the job
Good memory my duck. I am from a small village about 10 miles or so south down the A1 not far from Farcet (pronounced Fassett). Peterborough was my closest shopping area. Depends if you need to be in the city itself. Very multicultural and plenty of amenities but has some areas I wouldn't recommend you live like most large cities. Give me a list of your priorities and I will try and come up with some suggestions for you to google.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Good memory my duck.
I love that! To me 'my duck' sounded more like 'Moidurrrrrk' OH MY you've bought back memories now LOL
Old Oct 6th 2007, 4:39 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USAGypsies
I love that! To me 'my duck' sounded more like 'Moidurrrrrk' OH MY you've bought back memories now LOL
Actually a Lancastrian lass but spent most of my years in the fens, good job you escaped as you would probably have been married to your sister by now
Old Oct 6th 2007, 6:39 pm

Give me a list of your priorities and I will try and come up with some suggestions for you to google.
Thx NB. Priorities for us would be:

Quiet area (we have no kids so would only need a two bed house with garage if $$ was an issue)

Close enough to access the countryside, near enough to get into town.

When you say 'multicultural' do you know which cultures? (wife is Korean) This would be a big plus for the wife and after years here I'm comfortable with living amongst other cultures (to a point).

Nice running and especially cycling areas, although being Fenland I guess its rather flat?

How long to London on the train?

Do you know if there is a 50mtr pool in Peterborough?

If my wife had her choice she'd live near bustling markets, but would want to be safe at the same time.

If I had my way, I'd like to live near water (and be safe as well ).

How easy to access the M4?
Old Oct 6th 2007, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Try "Peterborough migrant crime",

Peterborough: A city crumbling under pressure from immigrants
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770
Old Oct 6th 2007, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Try "Peterborough migrant crime",

Peterborough: A city crumbling under pressure from immigrants
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

Try ramming your myopic pessimistic Daily Fail attitude up your ass.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Try ramming your myopic pessimistic Daily Fail attitude up your ass.
You will obviously fit in very well in Peterborough.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by NedKelly
You will obviously fit in very well in Peterborough.
I hope so. I've fitted pretty well in Oz for 18yrs, and seen more of your type come and go than you've had hot dinners son. Back in your box now before your VB goes warm.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 12:46 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I don't post much here, but just to fill you in, my (non Aus/ Non UK) wife and I have been here in Oz for 15yrs+. We have been making plans for ages to return to the UK and have been been working out some logistics for for my wife (as it's not her home country) for a while. We return/holiday there on a regular basis so I know all about the changes etc etc.

One thing we have decided is that while I am desperate to go home, we will not move there until one of us has a good job offer. (we are both professionals, and earn pretty good money). Anyway, I have been looking at companies and roles that would offer int transfer opportunities to the UK/Europe, and although its early days, it looks like I will be offered a role based in Sydney (where we are now) but reporting directly to the UK and with a UK based boss, there will be numerous trips to the UK and all of Asia. Ironically the job is with my wife's company (although a different office) and she had a UK boss on secondment here until a couple of mths ago. He has now gone back but said he'd help whenever she was ready to come over. And we are meeting up in London when we return in Dec for Xmas (my first Xmas home in 18yrs )

The head office for my wife's division is in Bond St, London which doesn't appeal, but should I be offered this role my boss will be based in Peterborough. There is an initial commitment of being here for a year, but I have made clear my desire to be transferred after that and they are very happy to help with that when the time comes and appropriate roles available etc.

Whilst I will have options for all over the UK in theory, I would suspect the most direct route would be to go to Peterborough. But I have never been there and know nothing about the place at all. ( I am from Somerset) Any experiences?

I think it may be NB's neck of the woods?

thx in advance
Excellent news Triboy - am so pleased for you. I'm sure everything will turn out great for you.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 1:52 am
Gutter Gob!!

Thx NB. Priorities for us would be:

Quiet area (we have no kids so would only need a two bed house with garage if $$ was an issue)

Close enough to access the countryside, near enough to get into town.

When you say 'multicultural' do you know which cultures? (wife is Korean) This would be a big plus for the wife and after years here I'm comfortable with living amongst other cultures (to a point).

Nice running and especially cycling areas, although being Fenland I guess its rather flat?

How long to London on the train?

Do you know if there is a 50mtr pool in Peterborough?

If my wife had her choice she'd live near bustling markets, but would want to be safe at the same time.

If I had my way, I'd like to live near water (and be safe as well ).

How easy to access the M4?
Will have a ponder over the next day or so and let you know. There are parts of Peterborough that are the pits but some are lovely but the house prices are likely to reflect that. Give me a couple of days and will come up with some useful stuff.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 12:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Peterborough for 2yrs. I wasn't more than lukewarm about it, but it certainly is a great place to get out of! I mean rail connection to London, A1 up to Scotland, etc.

We had a starter townhouse in Hampton Hargate, a new township, which I expect has quadrupled in size since we left. A bit twee and toytown-esque, with neighbours who were none too keen on the social housing just being built, but good shopping on your doorstep, new school, gp, dentist all being built when we left.

I found it pretty multicultural, lots of London overspill. I worked at ThomasCook latterly Travelex HQ and on my floor over 30 languages were spoken.

If I had to go back, I'd be looking at Stamford and surrounds to live in.

Re: my duck. We called our neighbour "Mrs Shinduck" for the duration as that's how she introduced herself, and we didn't know different! "Hello, I'm Mrs Shin duck"
Old Oct 7th 2007, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

I hope so. I've fitted pretty well in Oz for 18yrs, and seen more of your type come and go than you've had hot dinners son. Back in your box now before your VB goes warm.
Ned Kelly.... well he would fit in with "his idea" of Peterborough with his "witty (not) name !!! if not a "local" he certainly has gone over to the"dark side" one of the main reasons we just cannot "live here"...anymore...loved the warm VB....would most certainly have been lost on him!!

Peterborough, we visited a few years ago..and I liked it...not bad city centre..plenty of countryside...nice little villages...and good links to London etc...my sister in law lived in a village not far from Peterborough and had her businesses in SE London and they coped pretty well with the travel, they liked the escape from City life..they now live in Biggin Hill in Kent. I would rent for a while...and stop listening to all he "migrant" rants..Britain is no more different to Australia...in fact we live in a much more Multi Cultural society in our area of W.A than we ever did back home...anyway...just think of all those different restaurants etc....

Good luck....and go on "google" for info on Peterborough and house prices etc
All the best
Jackie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.