Wikiposts

orignal or copies?

Old Mar 9th 2013, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

jp23uk is just really nicejp23uk is just really nicejp23uk is just really nicejp23uk is just really nicejp23uk is just really nicejp23uk is just really nicejp23uk is just really nicejp23uk is just really nice
Question orignal or copies?

Hi

Still gathering the supporting documents for the I-864 and the like, we are using my wifes mother as a joint sponsor (who is in the US) so my question is which documents need to be originals and which need can be copies?

Originals:

* Birth certificates
* Marriage Certificates
* Divorce decree (if applicable)
* Police certificate
* Joint sponsor (mother-in-law) birth certificate (can this be a copy?)
* 2 x passport photos

Copies?

* A copy of my mother-in-laws passport (all pages)

* Copy of joint sponsors birth certificate?

* Tax returns transcripts (do these have to be originals?) (both wife and mother-in-law)

* Proof of employment (mother-in-law) i.e. employment contract and/or a supporting letter from her manager stating how long she has workerd for the company/salary/nature of work on headed paper.

* A formal rental agreement (even though it is with a family member we have formalised it in terms of a contract) can this be a copy or does it have to be an original?

* List of vaccinations I picked up a copy from my medical practice however it is a list does this need to be signed? Or authorised in someway?

* Proof of domicile - copy of quotes for moving/medical insurance/flight for pet to come back to usa, copy of resume and job searches (is this relevant?), copy of correspondence between my wife and grad schools to start in Jan 2014, tax returns, copy of bank statements showing money being transferred to us account for last 9 months, winding down in the uk proof of account closures i.e. bank/mobile phone etc, a copy of my employment contract a fixed term 6 month contract which expires in July (because we intended to move in June/July) anything else you recommend?

On tax returns will it matter that my wife has filed joint with me on an ITIN number? It maybe a stupid question, but I am still a little fresh to the us tax process, sorry in advance.

Again i appreciate all your efforts and comments!

thanks, Jamie
Old Mar 9th 2013, 8:44 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: orignal or copies?

Why on earth would they need a list of vaccinations for the I-864??
Old Mar 9th 2013, 9:13 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Rule of thumb regardless of what you are applying for - Never SEND originals of anything, unless specified. ALWAYS take originals to interviews (with copies you can leave with them if required).

ps "Originals" might just mean certified copies ie birth/marriage cert.

edit: and always keep a copy of whatever you send in.

Last edited by RICH; Mar 9th 2013 at 9:26 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 12:31 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jp23uk
... which documents need to be originals and which need can be copies?
Never send originals. Everything except the actual application form and photos can be a copy. Bring the originals to the interview.

Ian
Old Mar 10th 2013, 12:40 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Dosent always work, we had an RFE for our original marriage certificate as they couldnt accept the copy due to the raised (rather than inked) seal stamp
Old Mar 10th 2013, 1:45 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jp23uk
Still gathering the supporting documents for the I-864 and the like, we are using my wifes mother as a joint sponsor (who is in the US) so my question is which documents need to be originals and which need can be copies?
The only thing that needs to be original is the I-864. All the supporting evidence can be a photocopy.

On tax returns will it matter that my wife has filed joint with me on an ITIN number?
No.

Please note that many of the items you listed are not relevent to the I-864. But if you're asking in general, all forms need to be original, the US-style passport photos need to be original, but all backup evidence can be photocopies, but bring the originals to the interview in case the ConOff wants to see it. If possible, of course...something like your mother in law's original passport is not needed.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Mar 10th 2013 at 1:48 am.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 3:17 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Still gathering the supporting documents for the I-864 and the like ...
(The emphasis is mine.)

But what they were thinking to write it that way is beyond me.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by civilservant
Why on earth would they need a list of vaccinations for the I-864??