Ordnance Survey Maps?

Old Aug 7th 2008, 7:47 am
mjd
Just Joined

mjd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ordnance Survey Maps?

[QUOTE=frrussre;6653943] Maps are the least of your problems. Knee length boots, snake repellent & machine gun, will be more useful. QUOTE]

But those are all readily available!
Old Aug 7th 2008, 7:55 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=mjd;6656359]
Originally Posted by frrussre
Maps are the least of your problems. Knee length boots, snake repellent & machine gun, will be more useful. QUOTE]

But those are all readily available!
Yes!!! For a damn good reason!

Read Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods (about his attempt at hiking the Appalachian Trail)
Old Aug 8th 2008, 6:13 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mjd
Hi All,

I am waiting out my permanent residence application and want to keep occupied.

In the UK I was keen on camping and walking and we could pretty much find public footpaths anywhere and there was always an OS map that covered the area.

Does anyone know of any equivalents here in the US? If it depends on state, then Florida and also New England area (Ma, Ct, NH, Vt) specifically!

Thanks
Above are some good suggestions from folks, especially about critters you may meet with.

In general, IMHO, this is the difference between the USA and England/Wales in respect of walking and hiking; in England you can walk almost anywhere because of the good information shown on the 1:25,000 maps and the fact that there are public footpaths and bridleways almost everywhere. In America, the topos show nothing like the depth of cultural detail (to be fair, the number of sheets is staggering and very little demand for most sheets..) and usually there is no access to farmland and other private land.

So, in America the best bet is to concentrate on National Parks, State Parks, land preserved by non-profits and the like (In Massachusetts, for instance, lands under the management of the Mass Audubon Society and the Trustees of Reservations.) The Trustees of Reservations is, I believe, the oldest land conservation organization in the world, as it predates the National Trust in England. Areas such as these have maintained, waymarked trails. The Appalachian Trail and other long-distance trails are of course good examples.

Good quality topographic maps and trail guides are always available of these types of areas. Here's an example from the Cape Cod National Seashore. (Happens to have a photo of my daughter in it )
http://www.nps.gov/caco/planyourvisi...bikerevise.pdf