Ordnance Survey Maps?

Old Aug 4th 2008, 5:59 am
mjd
Just Joined

mjd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ordnance Survey Maps?

Hi All,

I am waiting out my permanent residence application and want to keep occupied.

In the UK I was keen on camping and walking and we could pretty much find public footpaths anywhere and there was always an OS map that covered the area.

Does anyone know of any equivalents here in the US? If it depends on state, then Florida and also New England area (Ma, Ct, NH, Vt) specifically!

Thanks
Old Aug 4th 2008, 6:10 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ordnance Survey Maps?

Originally Posted by mjd
Hi All,

In the UK I was keen on camping and walking and we could pretty much find public footpaths anywhere and there was always an OS map that covered the area.

Does anyone know of any equivalents here in the US? If it depends on state, then Florida and also New England area (Ma, Ct, NH, Vt) specifically!

Thanks
http://www.usgs.gov/pubprod/

Root away..
Old Aug 4th 2008, 6:21 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mjd
Hi All,

Thanks
Commonly called "topo" maps here. You can find common ones at some better stocked outdoor shops but you can order anything from here: http://topomaps.usgs.gov/
Old Aug 4th 2008, 7:46 am
Account Closed

Okachickima is an unknown quantity at this point

For the cost of two or three maps from the government this private site gives access to all USCGS topo maps and you can print out whatever section you want. It also gives you aerial photographs of the same quadrants.

http://www.mapcard.com/
Old Aug 5th 2008, 1:06 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Okachickima
For the cost of two or three maps from the government this private site gives access to all USCGS topo maps and you can print out whatever section you want. It also gives you aerial photographs of the same quadrants.

http://www.mapcard.com/
You can actually download the topo maps free from USGS here: http://store.usgs.gov/b2c_usgs/usgs/...a=%24ROOT)/.do

I'm not smart enough to figure out how to print them at the right size though...
Old Aug 5th 2008, 1:15 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
You can actually download the topo maps free from USGS here: http://store.usgs.gov/b2c_usgs/usgs/...a=%24ROOT)/.do

I'm not smart enough to figure out how to print them at the right size though...
You need to provide a link leading up to the final result ABY. Print size adjustments will occur in the 'Page Setup' option under the file menu.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 1:24 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mjd
Hi All,

Thanks
Walk ..camping....thats very unamerican
Old Aug 5th 2008, 1:29 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
No one does that in Florida.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 1:34 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
No one does that in Florida.
Only Golfers .... and they have carts ....

Still a few drop dead every week ...
Old Aug 5th 2008, 1:37 am
Unmitigated Gall

You need to provide a link leading up to the final result ABY. Print size adjustments will occur in the 'Page Setup' option under the file menu.
I mean, the normal hardcopy map size is 20"x27". I'd have to cut the map up in Photoshop (They are .pdf's now)and print out each section on a 8.5"x11" inch page, then tape them together. If I printed it all on one 8.5x11 it'd be too small.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 1:48 am
mjd
Just Joined

mjd is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the links to the various sights. I found a cool download for Adobe Acrobat so you can measure off the USGS maps and plot coordinates and stuff. I will find the link if anyone is interested...

I guess with the big map if you want to use a section you can print it off as and when you need it.

Originally Posted by Ray
Yep, I bought Backpacker magazine in Houston airport but cannot find it anywhere nearby. The local Borders book store is not very local and the magazine tends to focus on state/national parks though.

It gets pretty harsh during summer in Florida but I did see 2 guys cycling yesterday! The petrol prices must be getting too high for them.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 2:21 am
Riding on silver wings

I mean, the normal hardcopy map size is 20"x27". I'd have to cut the map up in Photoshop (They are .pdf's now)and print out each section on a 8.5"x11" inch page, then tape them together. If I printed it all on one 8.5x11 it'd be too small.
There should be an option to 'Tile' when printing. You can keep your original size that way and tape it up later. Or you can pay and have it printed at Kinko's on a plotter printer all on one sheet.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 2:23 am
Unmitigated Gall

There should be an option to 'Tile' when printing. You can keep your original size that way and tape it up later. Or you can pay and have it printed at Kinko's on a plotter printer all on one sheet.
We have a plotter here! Hmmmmm....
Old Aug 5th 2008, 2:24 am
Riding on silver wings

We have a plotter here! Hmmmmm....
Hey, I'll keep a look out while you do your thing. Shhhhhhh
Old Aug 5th 2008, 2:26 am
Unmitigated Gall

Hey, I'll keep a look out while you do your thing. Shhhhhhh
We have 1 million printers. I need it's name, or someone that has access and needs a map or two...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.