Reload this Page >

Opinion - Moving back home?

Wikiposts

Opinion - Moving back home?

Old Aug 15th 2018, 12:56 am
Just Joined

AlayaJacobs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back home?

Hi! First time I'm posting anything like this but if rather ask the opinions of strangers than my parents. I'm conflicted. 7-ish years ago I moved to Canada from the UK (age 14, I'm now 21).

Since I visited England for the first time last November, I keep yearning to be living back there. I started thinking about all the reasons why I said I hated England originally when I first moved over here. I didn't come up with anything like the traffic, weather, ect. It was the fact I kept losing friends (typical teen problems I suppose) and it was also the fact that I had found my hometown soo boring. We never got around much which really disappointed me. Unfortunately, it's the same here in Canada so that's why I'm starting to dislike it here too.

I've always been the shy one who barely talked unless spoken to but I really thought, at the time, moving to another country would somehow spark something out of me. Short story - it really didn't. For seven + years I've essentially had no friends or connections and no one to really talk to apart from my dad.

When I went back to England I loved the transportation, the ability to travel very easily without having to get in a car, the shops, foods, and more. It felt like home, something I haven't been able to find here still. I'm not very close to my extended family in England but I really want to be, especially my dad's side since I have a whole lot more in common with them than my mother's side.

I'm going to wait until I finally obtain my Canadian citizenship before any kind of decision is made. But ... is it wrong of me to want to move back to England, even if it's for a while to who knows when? Even when I was the one most excited about leaving the country? I guess the only things keeping me here in Canada is my dog, my dad, and my current job. (the people I work with are awesome but they have spouted the idea if leaving at some point.)

I do have separation issues when it comes to my dad. I had to come home from college after 6 months because I couldn't handle being away from him any longer. I guess that would be a reason to stay where I am and try and ignore these feelings. Anyone have any thoughts or gone through something simliar?

Last edited by AlayaJacobs; Aug 15th 2018 at 2:14 am. Reason: Spelling error
Old Aug 15th 2018, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Opinion - Moving back home?

Sounds like you are just bored and need some hobbies, need to get out and meet people.
You go to England and will it be the same, probably.
Old Aug 20th 2018, 10:41 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I would say moving back after you've become a Canadian citizen would be the perfect time. At 21 you've a chance to start over again, on your own terms. That shyness and reliance on your father isn't going to automatically go away but this may be the mental jumpstart you need to start living independently. You mentioned you dropped out of college in Canada - have you considered studying in the UK or would you work?
Old Aug 25th 2018, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

strangepigeon is an unknown quantity at this point

I would wait to move back until you get your Canadian citizenship, so if you realise that you want to move back once you are in the UK you can without having to worry about your permanent residency and things like that, because once you leave Canada I think you have to give all of that up.