Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Opening a UK bank account from overseas

Opening a UK bank account from overseas

Old Apr 24th 2017, 2:55 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Opening a UK bank account from overseas

Hi, I've had a search and not found what I'm looking for (I know it's there, I just haven't found it). Daughter planning on going to the UK for six months (please god make her come home again and not stay). Do any of the UK banks allow you to open a bog standard account from overseas, Aus in this case?

I looked at HSBC but it looked like it was only for someone earning almost 2 grand a month and she won't be.

It was very easy to do it in the opposite direction 11 years ago, I can't imagine it can't be done this way as well.
Old Apr 24th 2017, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening a UK bank account from overseas

It's now very difficult to do it from overseas mainly because of the money laundering rules. Once your daughter is in Uk and has an address etc then it is straightforward.
yes, the HSBC Premier account will let you do it but you've found the problem! Initially you may have to send her money via Western Union etc until she gets sorted.
Old Apr 24th 2017, 3:29 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Pain - in - the - butt.

Basically no. Bog standard high street account wants a UK resident before them so they can do verification. I tried for a couple of years even getting some "friends of friends" in a bank who came back and said they tried but it couldn't be done.

Not sure how long it would take her once there to get an account. Is she going as a student? Perhaps some student accounts are easier to set up in university towns.

I eventually did it via HSBC Premier but even that took a couple years to set up. Had to sign in front of HSBC people here in Hong Kong and have my HSBC rep in the USA vouch for me. Fedexes and phone calls and paper. Royal pain.
Old Apr 24th 2017, 3:35 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quiltman
It's now very difficult to do it from overseas mainly because of the money laundering rules. Once your daughter is in Uk and has an address etc then it is straightforward.
yes, the HSBC Premier account will let you do it but you've found the problem! Initially you may have to send her money via Western Union etc until she gets sorted.
Ok thanks, that's kind of what I thought. She's using a company who find her work accommodation etc (for backpackers) and they offer an extra package whereby for $100 they will 'help' sort some things out, one of which was helping with a bank account. I think it's a rip off and was hoping she could set it up from here but it's no bother doing it when she arrives and she'll have access to her bank account here via her debit card so it's all good.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Open a HSBC account where you are and they can after a short while transfer the account to a branch in the UK.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 10:53 am
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

I revisited this subject about 10 days ago. Barclays and HSBC will, but ...

One needs to deposit an obscene amount of money with one, and the other wants an equally obscene amount of money in on a monthly basis.

Benson55's suggestion would seem a good way to go if you could pull that off.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

NO only for the higher tiered accounts do they want an amount of funds deposited.
HSBC will open a checking account for $7.50 a month and will transfer it to the UK after a while of having it open, I think 6 months.
Best to call into a branch and get the latest advise properly.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

It may be easier to try and find cheaper ways of sending money to the UK. Using credit cards without foreign transaction fees and maybe there are some banks that allow you to withdraw without ATM fees. Looks like Westpac is a member in Aus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_ATM_Alliance

Last edited by mrken30; Mar 2nd 2018 at 4:30 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 5:10 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Benson55
NO only for the higher tiered accounts do they want an amount of funds deposited.
HSBC will open a checking account for $7.50 a month and will transfer it to the UK after a while of having it open, I think 6 months.
Thanks for that, admittedly I went to the UK websites. I'll see if I can get a local HSBC account here... I could go with Santander here, not sure about HSBC though.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 2:39 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
Thanks for that, admittedly I went to the UK websites. I'll see if I can get a local HSBC account here... I could go with Santander here, not sure about HSBC though.
I wouldn't give Santander the time of day, let alone my money to look after.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

have to agree with the Santander comments from what I have heard they are not good at all.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 10:19 am
Gloves off

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I wouldn't give Santander the time of day, let alone my money to look after.
have to agree with the Santander comments from what I have heard they are not good at all.
Thanks for the notes of caution. The only reason I mentioned Santander is that they have a foothold in high street banking here, which is quite rare for a non-Swiss bank.
Old Mar 5th 2018, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

prospect is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't give HSBC the time either but I agree it appears to offer on paper the best option - just don't be surprised if it is all ends up being rather complicated, time consuming and mistakes are made by the bank. Think we looked at it the other day and it's rating was something 0.2 out of 5. We have just moved here and it's been tough, even with a fixed address and job. The 28 degrees card is excellent, fee free etc and was all we used until we could finally get things sorted.
Old Mar 5th 2018, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Very limited in what to do without the HSBC as no one else is offering anything like it.
Old Mar 10th 2018, 1:40 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

They are currently offering a basic checking account for 3.0 USD per month. It seems you can apply online, even though there appear to be no branches whatsoever in my area.Might be a good deal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.