Opening a UK bank account from overseas

Old Mar 10th 2018, 3:15 am
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Opening a UK bank account from overseas

Thats in the US
Old Mar 10th 2018, 4:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

just finished a chat with an online representative for online banking. Unfortunately a basic online checking account is not transferrable according to the representative. One would have to open an Advance or Premiere account. No HSBC branch in my area unfortunately. Im in the same predicament of needing an account in the UK. ugh so frustrating. I am a UK citizen who left UK when i was 6 yrs old. Very frustrating that I cannot open an account when I move back
Old Mar 10th 2018, 4:29 am
Forum Regular

I was told here in Canada that the basic account IS transferable after holding it for a year and having funds in it. They also said they could transfer the customers credit history to the UK.
That call was in February with a HSBC rep.
Old Mar 10th 2018, 4:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Benson55
I was told here in Canada that the basic account IS transferable after holding it for a year and having funds in it. They also said they could transfer the customers credit history to the UK.
That call was in February with a HSBC rep.
Unfortunately don't have that long of a time before I leave. I was also specifically asking about the online account as there are no branches in my State
Old Mar 10th 2018, 5:11 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brigette
just finished a chat with an online representative for online banking. Unfortunately a basic online checking account is not transferrable according to the representative. One would have to open an Advance or Premiere account. No HSBC branch in my area unfortunately. Im in the same predicament of needing an account in the UK. ugh so frustrating. I am a UK citizen who left UK when i was 6 yrs old. Very frustrating that I cannot open an account when I move back
When my daughter arrived, she got a letter from her landlord stating where she was living. Went into Lloyds Bank and was able to open an account quite easily with the letter, copy of birth certificate and passport. Took a week or so to get the debit card but was able to go online and transfer money from her Aus account to Lloyds. Leave it until you get there.
Old Mar 14th 2018, 1:26 am
Forum Regular

HSBC rules seem to vary depending upon your country of origin.
Upon asking them they say its due to that country, ie Canada or the USA, which imposes rules which they have to obey as part of their banking entitlements in the country.
Old Mar 14th 2018, 9:29 am
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Benson55
HSBC rules seem to vary depending upon your country of origin.
Upon asking them they say its due to that country, ie Canada or the USA, which imposes rules which they have to obey as part of their banking entitlements in the country.
Indeed, same thing here. Having checked, it's not quite the same high tiers as mentioned previously, but a Swiss equivalent which effectively takes them out of the high street category.