Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Opening HSBC account online

Opening HSBC account online

Old Dec 6th 2016, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Opening HSBC account online

There have been several people here who have opened HSBC accounts, but most seem to have had a branch nearby. Not such luck here. Anyone opened one online? I am a bricks and mortar kinda gal and I'm a little wary of giving my money over to the internet.
Old Dec 6th 2016, 2:10 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening HSBC account online

what are your concerns?
Having an online bank account is probably about the most secure way of dealing with your money.
I've had an HSBC/First Direct account for almost 20 years whilst living in 3 different countries on 2 different continents. Very easy and you can always call them up if you'd rather hear a lovely yorkshire or glasgow accent!
Old Dec 6th 2016, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
what are your concerns?
Having an online bank account is probably about the most secure way of dealing with your money.
I've had an HSBC/First Direct account for almost 20 years whilst living in 3 different countries on 2 different continents. Very easy and you can always call them up if you'd rather hear a lovely yorkshire or glasgow accent!
Basically, the idea of initially opening an account with a substantial amount of money and not being face to face with the person I am handing over my hard earned money too!

I do feel a little less uneasy though. Would you kindly run me through how you opened the account? Was the money wired from bank to bank?

And, yes, I would happily listen to a Yorshire or Glasgow accent any day
Old Dec 6th 2016, 2:35 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perth
Basically, the idea of initially opening an account with a substantial amount of money and not being face to face with the person I am handing over my hard earned money too!

I do feel a little less uneasy though. Would you kindly run me through how you opened the account? Was the money wired from bank to bank?

And, yes, I would happily listen to a Yorshire or Glasgow accent any day
Perth, I suggest you phone them and ask them what the best way to do things is. By this, I mean the way that makes you feel most comfortable.

I really can't remember the details of what we did but since First Direct (as it was then) was phone only (no internet then!), I'm pretty sure we just called them to open the account and when that was done, we sent them a cheque. Oh the olden days!

Now, we still have this account and if we need to deposit money into the UK branch then we transfer money to it using a foreign exchange account and even going from the USA to the UK, it takes 24 hours maximum.
Old Dec 6th 2016, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Log on to HSBC.co.uk and that will guide you. There is a wealth of info so I suggest you take your time...they can also take care if you want to switch from your current bank/building society and transfer for you online and maintain standing orders etc.
Old Dec 6th 2016, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank you both. I've looked online and OH has called. I think we are set
Old Dec 7th 2016, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

There have been several people here who have opened HSBC accounts, but most seem to have had a branch nearby. Not such luck here. Anyone opened one online? I am a bricks and mortar kinda gal and I'm a little wary of giving my money over to the internet.

Hi, When we lived in Perth we went into the City HSBC Branch and opened our UK account there, it was pretty easy, we also had our bank cards within a few weeks which were delivered to our address in Perth, at the time we did not have an Australian HSBC account. Good luck
Old Dec 7th 2016, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi, When we lived in Perth we went into the City HSBC Branch and opened our UK account there, it was pretty easy, we also had our bank cards within a few weeks which were delivered to our address in Perth, at the time we did not have an Australian HSBC account. Good luck
We don't live anywhere near a branch unfortunately. Ideally, we wanted to have a British account opened with cards sent to us ahead of our move. However, I believe you can't have a British account opened in another country anymore because of money laundering laws?

So we will open a US account right now. Still trying to work out what we do for money while we get a UK account set up. OH says travelers cheques but I didn't think people even used those anymore.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 3:56 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

We don't live anywhere near a branch unfortunately. Ideally, we wanted to have a British account opened with cards sent to us ahead of our move. However, I believe you can't have a British account opened in another country anymore because of money laundering laws?

So we will open a US account right now. Still trying to work out what we do for money while we get a UK account set up. OH says travelers cheques but I didn't think people even used those anymore.
Use your US debit and credit cards.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 7:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are getting a UK pension or other benefits, maybe a post office account would work for a while?

Post Office Card Account | Post Office
Old Dec 8th 2016, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Editha
Use your US debit and credit cards.
Yes, that's what we will do. Fortunately, we will have DD address in the US to use for credit card bills, etc.

Originally Posted by mrken30
If you are getting a UK pension or other benefits, maybe a post office account would work for a while?

Post Office Card Account | Post Office
Not of pension age yet, but thanks for the suggestion.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Perth / Monique
late coming to this as I look in here only occasionally;

I found this (Link attached) comprehensive yet straight forward explanation on getting a UK bank a/c, posted by the company that I now use to transfer $$ to ££.

https://transferwise.com/gb/blog/how...-account-in-uk

John
Old Dec 12th 2016, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
Hi Perth / Monique
late coming to this as I look in here only occasionally;

I found this (Link attached) comprehensive yet straight forward explanation on getting a UK bank a/c, posted by the company that I now use to transfer $$ to ££.

https://transferwise.com/gb/blog/how...-account-in-uk

John
Very helpful, thank you John!
~Monique