Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Open the map, close your eyes, and pick a place to live? (Returning to UK)

Open the map, close your eyes, and pick a place to live? (Returning to UK)

Old Jan 11th 2007, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Open the map, close your eyes, and pick a place to live? (Returning to UK)

Originally Posted by DDL
Yes, citizenship first. We can apply end of July. Assume (I know, I know) it will then be okay for him to pop over there for a month or so to look for job.

I know I won't have any problems at all securing a Legal Secretary position, so not as much worried about my situation as his. IT is such a specialized field.

Thank you for your input.

Denise

Reason I asked is that I'll be applying for mine about the same time (first week of August). May at some point end up doing the move also, but thought it'd be best to get the citizenship in the bag first. Trouble is, that can take anywhere from 4 months to a couple of years, which makes it a bit tricky to plan anything......
Old Jan 11th 2007, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Open the map, close your eyes, and pick a place to live? (Returning to UK)

Originally Posted by DDL
Thank you EVERYONE for taking the time to share your suggestions, comments, etc. I'm awaiting delivery of most recent UK map (from Amazon), then am going to print out this thread and hubby and I will take a look at everything. Ya' gotta start somewhere, right?

For fun, I did an online search for "character property rental" near Salisbury and wow, there were some brilliant lodges, cottages, etc., in area around West Dean (Dean happens to be my maiden name), conveniently located near Salisbury, Southampton, Bournemouth for employment. Very appealing, East Sussex.

Thanks again, and hopefully this thread will continue for a bit ...

Denise

___
\__/o
Hey, which map was it you ordered, I want one!
Old Jan 12th 2007, 1:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I've always liked the idea of the Cotswolds. Parts of it are a kind of old infrequent stomping ground. Problem is a real detached home with a bit of land not in a normal street is going to cost - Hutch - Minch'n Common would be my wish but can you imagine the cost!

Home counties would cost if they are a real village, and a 'real' house. (I'm excluding developments, semis in streets).

I would also try Shropshire but thats not 'close', so Oxfordshire seems cheaper.

I liked Wiltshire too but I'm not sure I would go back.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 3:26 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Open the map, close your eyes, and pick a place to live? (Returning to UK)

Originally Posted by Rosie Cheeks
Hey, which map was it you ordered, I want one!

Actually, I had ordered Fodor's England 2007 book because it said "Pullout Map Inside". I assumed that it would be a pullout map of ENGLAND, but it's a pullout map of LONDON which I have plenty of. Still, suppose book itself is worth keeping.

So tonight I went to Barnes & Noble and bought a "Great Britain 2007 Ordnance Survey Travel Map" ($10.95). Quite detailed; I think it will do nicely.

Denise
Old Jan 12th 2007, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DDL
Actually, I had ordered Fodor's England 2007 book because it said "Pullout Map Inside". I assumed that it would be a pullout map of ENGLAND, but it's a pullout map of LONDON which I have plenty of. Still, suppose book itself is worth keeping.

So tonight I went to Barnes & Noble and bought a "Great Britain 2007 Ordnance Survey Travel Map" ($10.95). Quite detailed; I think it will do nicely.

Denise

I believe it's more of a 'Salisbury East Sussex' quip...

Try Google earth -you can see my *house from there!!

Cheers

Richard

*Wash Common in Newbury which isn't the best place I've ever lived -that'll be Cheltenham- but ticks most of the boxes for you I guess...
Old Jan 12th 2007, 6:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL

Denise
That's a shame, funny though, you would have thought it would be of England.
Oh well, If I had your situation I would love to live in Dorset, may not be the best spot for what need, but it would be perfect for me.
It is really exciting to see you post and that you have a bright time ahead of you, good luck, keep us updated, I would love to know where you finally choose to live.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 3:16 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbury, UK? (was Open the map close your eyes and pick a place to live)

Thanks again to everyone for your comments.

I've tacked the big UK map on the den wall and have placed a colored push pin on every place that was suggested. It gave us a good visual, and we will be looking into (i.e., researching) all of them.

Having said that, in my daily Monster.com jobs newsletter today I noticed a very nice looking Legal Secretary (that's what I do for a living) position working for Vodafone in Newbury. My husband has an IT background and, ironically, Microsoft UK is apparently headquartered in Newbury.

Have only had time for a cursory look at Newbury on the net, but am wondering if anyone here has any feedback on the place?

Denise