Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Open the map, close your eyes, and pick a place to live? (Returning to UK)

Open the map, close your eyes, and pick a place to live? (Returning to UK)

Old Jan 8th 2007, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Open the map, close your eyes, and pick a place to live? (Returning to UK)

Originally Posted by fishfinger
I see what you mean BritVic! lol I never thought of that (whoops)

I was purely thinking of the Birds Eye version when I came up with that name, I was brought up properly you know ;-)

Change it quick.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Open the map, close your eyes, and pick a place to live? (Returning to UK)

Originally Posted by sandrainaus
Yes been there a few times, great food.
Also used to go to a little Indian restaurant in Walton on the Hill which was great, looked like it needed a good refurb, but very Traditional, great for when you fall out of the pub on a Friday night. God how I miss it, How I miss the pub and a Decent Curry.

Where are you from?
Haven't found a decent curry in NZ either, heard OZ is just the same.
Made differently here to what we are used to in UK.
We make our own now.. Yum.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 11:54 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I Lived in Tadworth in Surrey (Near Epsom Downs), still have my house there and would love to go back there, one day I Hope/wish everyday. Nice Village, great pubs in the village of Walton on the Hill, and you have Reigate/Redhill 15 Mins (the new Croydon) or Croydon which is 30 Mins by Train, Loads of work there.

Some other Nice places around already said are Esher, Shepperton,

Good Luck

Sandra
I was in hospital in Tadworth Court for 2 years, saved my life they did.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 4:04 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

The Villages in the Essex Countryside spring to mind.....Finchingfield, Thaxted, Great Bardfield ....all around that area. The have a village feel, church, tea rooms and pubs a plenty etc. Stansted Airport is very near for your European travel and the the M11 gives you quick access to the M25.There are larger communities a short drive away (forgetting my place names of late).....Bishops Stortford, Chelmsford??

Good Luck with your plans

Jan

Originally Posted by DDL
Wish the choice of where to live when we return were that easy! But then I suppose we are fortunate in that we do (to a certain degree) have a choice as to where we want to live.

Thought I'd invite y'all in on the discussion. (Pull up a chair and I'll put the kettle on.)

I am USC; hubby is UKC (awaiting receipt of permanent residency card; can apply for US citizenship end Jul 07).

We are late 40s/early 50s. No children (been there, done that). I am 20+ year legal secretary, hubby works in IT (webmaster, search engine optimization, blahblahblah) and has worked for the council before.

We previously lived in Hounslow :scared: (not my favorite place) - crap place to live, but affordable and 30 min. drive into central London. (And we took full advantage - saw and did sooooooo much). Plus, his folks and other family about 15 min. away. However, we DON'T want to return to that area.

Here is our list of ideal requisites. Of course, we realize that compromise is probably going to be a necessity on any one (or more):

1. Rental accomodation (no $ to buy yet) in trad village: pub, tearoom ; church; village hall; etc.

2. Near a major/big city/town for employment (preferably without a murderous drive in to work)

3. Convenient access to international airport (for European travel and travel to US)

4. Convenient access to motorway for regular trips to Plymouth (where his kids/grandkids are) preferably 4 hrs or less to Plymouth

5. Convenient access to motorway for regular trips to London (where his parents/family are)

Suggestions anyone?

Father-in-love has suggested Reading (for work) - he says there are some nice villages surrounding. We wouldn't know.

He also mentioned Guildford (for work) - just looking at map, it doesn't appear any villages surrounding Guildford?

And also Salisbury .... or even Chard.

Floor's open, and thanks in advance.

Denise
Old Jan 9th 2007, 5:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Surrey to Perth and back to Surrey & Back again, Why why why
sandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I was in hospital in Tadworth Court for 2 years, saved my life they did.
That is about 5 Mins from where my house is

Was it not part of Great Ormond street (Country ) Hospital.
That changed in 1983/5 (I think) to the Childrens Trust, Permanent Home for Disabled Children, What a fantastic place it is and a great job they do, we have done a lot of Charity work for them..
I really miss doing things like that.

Last edited by sandrainaus; Jan 9th 2007 at 6:42 am.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 6:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Surrey to Perth and back to Surrey & Back again, Why why why
sandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rascal

They are crap here, everything comes with the same thick sauce they just add different meat or vegs and if you want hot a chilli

I have tried to make my own, although better than the ones here , but still not as good as my local at home..

Last edited by sandrainaus; Jan 9th 2007 at 6:32 am.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 7:38 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

They are crap here, everything comes with the same thick sauce they just add different meat or vegs and if you want hot a chilli

I have tried to make my own, although better than the ones here , but still not as good as my local at home..
Have you been to the Punjab in Osborne Park, not like a curry from England but close enough to give you that fix.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 9:23 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

That is about 5 Mins from where my house is

Was it not part of Great Ormond street (Country ) Hospital.
That changed in 1983/5 (I think) to the Childrens Trust, Permanent Home for Disabled Children, What a fantastic place it is and a great job they do, we have done a lot of Charity work for them..
I really miss doing things like that.

I was at Great Ormond Street first, then moved to Tadworth for intensive nursing, the bad thing was that i was in the terminal wing because i needed such intensive care and not a single kid i made friends with for those years survived.

I can see counselling looming in later life!
Old Jan 9th 2007, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rascal
Curry in Oz is more Thai inspired than Indian. Still delicious but just different. I prefer to make my own curry even though I have thousands of curry houses all around, its more fun.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
I am USC; hubby is UKC (awaiting receipt of permanent residency card; can apply for US citizenship end Jul 07).
Are you going to wait till husband gets his citizenship?

As regards location, why not apply for loads of jobs, see where that might take you, bit of pot luck!
Old Jan 10th 2007, 4:45 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dan725
Are you going to wait till husband gets his citizenship? As regards location, why not apply for loads of jobs, see where that might take you, bit of pot luck!

Yes, citizenship first. We can apply end of July. Assume (I know, I know) it will then be okay for him to pop over there for a month or so to look for job.

I know I won't have any problems at all securing a Legal Secretary position, so not as much worried about my situation as his. IT is such a specialized field.

Thank you for your input.

Denise
Old Jan 10th 2007, 4:53 am
DDL

Default Open the map, close your eyes, and pick a place to live? (Returning to UK)

Thank you EVERYONE for taking the time to share your suggestions, comments, etc. I'm awaiting delivery of most recent UK map (from Amazon), then am going to print out this thread and hubby and I will take a look at everything. Ya' gotta start somewhere, right?

For fun, I did an online search for "character property rental" near Salisbury and wow, there were some brilliant lodges, cottages, etc., in area around West Dean (Dean happens to be my maiden name), conveniently located near Salisbury, Southampton, Bournemouth for employment. Very appealing, East Sussex.

Thanks again, and hopefully this thread will continue for a bit ...

Denise

___
\__/o
Old Jan 10th 2007, 5:01 am
DDL

Default Open the map, close your eyes, and pick a place to live? (Returning to UK)

Originally Posted by Mercedes
The bottom line is your finances and how much you can afford.

How true .... and that will depend upon what employment we eventually find.

We'll be returning with very little cash (especially if the $ continues its present course), a small load of furniture ... and that's about it, really. Virtually starting over. Again.

Thank you for your post. I appreciate it!

Denise
Old Jan 10th 2007, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

Heading home is an unknown quantity at this point

PHP Code:
Originally posted by [B]DDL[/B]
I know I won't have any problems at all securing a Legal Secretary position, so not as much worried about my situation as his. IT is such a specialized field. 
You could try going to http://www.totaljobs.com and looking at the IT jobs available in different parts of the UK. This would give you an idea of how easy it might be for your husband to get a job.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, just a thought, I have a friend who commutes every day from Scotland to London, via plane, he finds it cheaper than commuting from nearer. Plus he has a better house for value. I live in Spain and commute backwards and forwards to UK, at least twice a month at the moment, but but it gives me a better lifestyle and if I book my flight in advance can be cheap. I've often got over for 20 pounds if I time it right. I know many northern europeans who also do it, and to different locations. It might be an other option if money is tight etc and you want some sort of standard of living without having to necessarily living in an area that you might not like again. My cousin also does it from France to UK also a few days each week.

Originally Posted by DDL
How true .... and that will depend upon what employment we eventually find.

We'll be returning with very little cash (especially if the $ continues its present course), a small load of furniture ... and that's about it, really. Virtually starting over. Again.

Thank you for your post. I appreciate it!

Denise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.