Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

It was one year ago today.......

It was one year ago today.......

Old Aug 10th 2013, 4:22 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default It was one year ago today.......

...that I docked in Southampton and made my way up to Scotland. I can't believe I just typed that. Where has the time gone? I am still very much enjoying being home and seldom think of my 30ish years in Canada.

I am still enjoying being in a village community and have been made to feel very welcome in the village. One of things I have really enjoyed doing is seeing some parts of the country that I had never seen before. One of the hidden gems I have discovered is Bamburgh. It is just beautiful and not crowded, at least not on the days that I have visited. I love being able to be in the countryside and then 25 minutes later be on the coast. That is such a treat for me after being landlocked for so many years. I have also visited the Lake District, albeit only for one night. It also a lovely area and one on my list to return to as it is not too far away. For my hols this year I went up north. Fortrose and Orkney. Brilliant. I only spent 4 days on Orkney and it was not long enough. I hope to go back and also visit the other islands off Orkney.

If you had told me a year ago that I would be in a choir performing Faure's Requiem, I would have considered you to be nuts. An ad hoc choir was put together to commemorate the Battle of Flodden and we gave our performance in June in Coldstream. Due to its success another performance is now being planned on the English side of the border. When rehearsals first started I did consider backing out as I felt my voice wasn't up to the challenge and I felt I was in over my head, but I stuck with it and I am glad I did. I do have to admit that some lip syncing was involved in a couple of tricky spots.lol: So I have taken my self out of my comfort zone and I am glad that I did.

I hate to tempt fate by saying this, but I am getting more comfortable with driving, although the motorways scare me. I prefer the local rural roads, pheasants and all, as there is less traffic. I can now mange to drive up to Edinburgh, but I stay away from the city centre by using the park and ride facilities just off the city bypass. I do wish Glasgow had a similar set up as I do need to go up there at some point.

All in all I am very happy to be home. Life is not perfect here, it wasn't in Canada either, but here just suits me better. I still consider myself to be in the honeymoon period, so we will see how things are one year from now. I still like to participate on BE for some friendly banter or to share information. It was so helpful for me when I was going through the deciding & moving process to be able to come here for help and support.
Old Aug 11th 2013, 12:01 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It was one year ago today.......

Wonderful update, and so pleased to read we will still see you around BE, it's a great way to help others who are yet to make the move back.

So pleased that you are settling in and things are going well for you.
Old Aug 11th 2013, 12:03 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
Wonderful update, and so pleased to read we will still see you around BE, it's a great way to help others who are yet to make the move back.

So pleased that you are settling in and things are going well for you.
Thank you.
Old Aug 11th 2013, 12:07 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Thank you.
Glasgow park and ride..

http://en.parkopedia.co.uk/park_and_...asgow/parking/
Old Aug 11th 2013, 12:15 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Thanks for that. When I have googled in the past I could only find the Underground P & Rs
Old Aug 11th 2013, 12:26 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on your one-year anniversary! Glad you will be hanging around - once an expat always an expat (or a former expat)!
Old Aug 11th 2013, 12:33 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Dunroving. Glad that you hang around too. Understandably, many drift away after they have moved back, but it was helpful for me to hear from the people that actually made the move.
Old Aug 11th 2013, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the update, it really is so helpful hearing from those who have made the move back. Please do keep updating us!
Old Aug 11th 2013, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute

Great update!!! Well done on stepping outside your comfort zone
Old Aug 11th 2013, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Great update! You chose a gorgeous part of the country to come home to and I'm so happy things are going well for you. I do, however, have a bit of a bone to pick with you.....you let the cat out the bag about Bamburgh beach!
Old Aug 11th 2013, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Great update, we had our honeymoon in Bamburgh way back in '76 and love that whole area.

3 weeks ago we visited Glasgow for the first time ever, took the train in from Ayr where we were staying with friends. It is a very nice city in which to spend a day wandering around.
Old Aug 11th 2013, 9:18 pm
Back home at last!

Pombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud of

Great update! Glad to hear life is treating you well one year on!
Old Aug 11th 2013, 9:55 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by curleytops
Great update! You chose a gorgeous part of the country to come home to and I'm so happy things are going well for you. I do, however, have a bit of a bone to pick with you.....you let the cat out the bag about Bamburgh beach!
You make a good point. How do I get that cat back in the bag? I don't want Bamburgh to be inundated with BE riff raff
Old Aug 11th 2013, 9:57 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by NiHao
Thank you for the update, it really is so helpful hearing from those who have made the move back. Please do keep updating us!
I am glad that you found my post helpful. I will try to keep you posted.
Old Aug 11th 2013, 10:05 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Great update, we had our honeymoon in Bamburgh way back in '76 and love that whole area.

3 weeks ago we visited Glasgow for the first time ever, took the train in from Ayr where we were staying with friends. It is a very nice city in which to spend a day wandering around.
I am only about 40-45 mins away from Bamburgh and one of things I want to do is stay there, overnight, especially on a day when it is wet and windy.

I grew up just outside Glasgow and I just love the architecture in the city. It is one of the things I missed from the day I moved to Canada. How do you find Texas? I have never been there, but I am not sure I could stand the heat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.