British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   One way travel Insurance - Aus to UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/one-way-travel-insurance-aus-uk-884765/)

steen1976 Oct 18th 2016 10:21 pm

One way travel Insurance - Aus to UK

Hi

Can anyone recommend travel insurance for people leaving Aus on a one way ticket? Journey starting in Aus and ending in UK with a few days stop over in KL.

Some I've found on the web turn out to be annual multi travel rather than one way for a period of less than a week.

TIA

durham_lad Oct 19th 2016 2:52 pm

Re: One way travel Insurance - Aus to UK

I had heard lots of good reports about WorldNomads.com so I am using it for my one way trip from the US to the UK in January.

steen1976 Oct 24th 2016 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 12080620)
I had heard lots of good reports about WorldNomads.com so I am using it for my one way trip from the US to the UK in January.

Thanks mate that did look promising at first. Might need to ring them. The policy wording basically stated that you are OK if you do not originate your journey in UK once you are a British Citizen - but that would not be OK if you're just a 'British resident'. Me missus is Irish so not sure if she'd be covered under that policy.

BTW I'll be heading to Wearside meself.

durham_lad Oct 24th 2016 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by steen1976 (Post 12084354)
Thanks mate that did look promising at first. Might need to ring them. The policy wording basically stated that you are OK if you do not originate your journey in UK once you are a British Citizen - but that would not be OK if you're just a 'British resident'. Me missus is Irish so not sure if she'd be covered under that policy.

I would give them a call and talk to someone about your situation.

I grew up just south of Wearside, in Seaham Harbour. These days I have one close relative left living in Co. Durham, my sister, in Murton, but we have moved back not too far away from Co. Durham.

lf1 Oct 24th 2016 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by steen1976 (Post 12084354)

I used them when leaving Canada. Travelled in Canada and the US before eventually moving to the UK permanently and could not find travel and health insurance domestically. I called Nomads in the UK to ensure that they understood my situation and got a policy without any problem.

brits1 Oct 25th 2016 7:20 am

Originally Posted by steen1976 (Post 12080058)
Hi

Can anyone recommend travel insurance for people leaving Aus on a one way ticket? Journey starting in Aus and ending in UK with a few days stop over in KL.

Some I've found on the web turn out to be annual multi travel rather than one way for a period of less than a week.

TIA

Hi, When we left Aus we had a one way insurance, it was very easy obtain and very reasonably priced to, it was for a Family, one way single trip. I will have a look at the old documents and let you know, I do remember it was a large NZ Insurance company.

brits1 Oct 25th 2016 7:22 am

Originally Posted by brits1 (Post 12085098)
Hi, When we left Aus we had a one way insurance, it was very easy obtain and very reasonably priced to, it was for a Family, one way single trip. I will have a look at the old documents and let you know, I do remember it was a large NZ Insurance company.

We also had a week stop over in Hong Kong.

steen1976 Oct 25th 2016 8:10 am

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 12084366)
I would give them a call and talk to someone about your situation.

I grew up just south of Wearside, in Seaham Harbour. These days I have one close relative left living in Co. Durham, my sister, in Murton, but we have moved back not too far away from Co. Durham.

Sunderland myself but lived in Seaham for a couple of years too. Moving back to Sunderland too. It's not the football bringing me back that's for sure.

I will give them a call tonight and see what they can do. Thanks.

steen1976 Oct 25th 2016 8:11 am

Originally Posted by brits1 (Post 12085100)
We also had a week stop over in Hong Kong.

Thanks if you do happen to remember who it was and can let me know I'd be most grateful :thumbup:

durham_lad Oct 25th 2016 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by steen1976 (Post 12085138)
Sunderland myself but lived in Seaham for a couple of years too. Moving back to Sunderland too. It's not the football bringing me back that's for sure.

I've had to stop watching Sunderland matches in deference to my recent heart condition. :banghead:

brits1 Oct 27th 2016 7:04 am

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 12085692)
I've had to stop watching Sunderland matches in deference to my recent heart condition. :banghead:

Try being a Man City fan when watching with your husband who is a Man Utd :( fan and City loose......

durham_lad Oct 27th 2016 8:22 am

Originally Posted by brits1 (Post 12087843)
Try being a Man City fan when watching with your husband who is a Man Utd :( fan and City loose......

Yes, I can just imagine that. My wife and her family are all City fans, having grown up and lived within 3 miles of City's old ground - Maine Road.

Once when we were visiting from Texas a friend's teenage son was watering our plants while we were away and he was a Utd fan so we decided to call in the Utd store in the center of Manchester and buy him a Utd shirt. My wife was serious when she told me that we should not mention that fact to her father or admit to having a Utd shirt inside the house :thumbdown:

brits1 Oct 28th 2016 7:20 am

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 12088406)
Yes, I can just imagine that. My wife and her family are all City fans, having grown up and lived within 3 miles of City's old ground - Maine Road.

Once when we were visiting from Texas a friend's teenage son was watering our plants while we were away and he was a Utd fan so we decided to call in the Utd store in the center of Manchester and buy him a Utd shirt. My wife was serious when she told me that we should not mention that fact to her father or admit to having a Utd shirt inside the house :thumbdown:

Did the friends teenage son have to travel from "down south" or overseas to water your plants lol.........only Joking, takes me back to many years lol mentioning Main Road...going with my dad and older brother to watch the match and afterwards having our evening meal in Rusholm (a curry of course) seemed really exotic when you are only 9...where did the years go:confused: