Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

One way flights US to UK - Icelandair - almost half the price

One way flights US to UK - Icelandair - almost half the price

Old May 6th 2014, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

ncoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nice
Default One way flights US to UK - Icelandair - almost half the price

Hello,
FYI: I just booked one way flights for our migration from the US to UK in July and found Icelandair to be almost half the price of everyone else.
Cheers,
Nigel
Old May 6th 2014, 4:09 pm
Going back....

Scrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One way flights US to UK - Icelandair - almost half the price

Think you still get two free checked suitcases each too and free kid's meals
Old May 7th 2014, 3:52 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Good one.

Come back and gives us a review of those flight.
Old May 8th 2014, 4:23 pm
Going back....

Scrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond repute

We've flown Halifax, NS to both Heathrow and Gatwick and back from Gatwick and Paris with Icelandair. The stopover in Iceland is awful on the way out (have to get off just as you've fallen asleep in the middle of the night) but the way back is not bad. Keflavik airport is pleasant but very strange, a bit like heaven's waiting room as most people are just hanging about waiting to go somewhere else. The restaurants and shops close by about 5.30 so if you're on the last flight out make sure you eat/drink/shop before then. They also do security on the way IN to the airport, even if you've just got off a plane, so don't try taking any extra liquids off the plane (like my child's OJ) as you'll either have to drink them or toss them. If Air Canada were the same price I'd probably go with them for the convenience of a non-stop flight but for the money you can't beat Icelandair in my opinion, especially with the luggage allowance.
Old May 9th 2014, 11:21 am
Banned

r0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ncoomber
Hello,
FYI: I just booked one way flights for our migration from the US to UK in July and found Icelandair to be almost half the price of everyone else.
Cheers,
Nigel
Thank-you SO much for sharing-You just saved me $2000.00 on my flights :-)
Old May 9th 2014, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

ncoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nice

Originally Posted by r0briley
Thank-you SO much for sharing-You just saved me $2000.00 on my flights :-)
That's great......

They do get mixed reviews though.....so we had better set our expectations on the low end I think.....no free meals.....and I read you even have to pay to rent a head set!! However, there are five of us and United was the next best deal I could find and those tickets would have been over $3000 more in total....so to be honest I don't mind if I have to sit on the bloody floor!!!

Good luck
Cheers
Nigel
Old May 9th 2014, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the tip. I've just been browsing flights from Houston to Manchester on Icelandair and the prices are brilliant.
Old May 9th 2014, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

I am going back with two dogs and I want to make sure they are WELL taken care of for the flight (and the befores and afters). Any idea what Icelandair is like in this regard?
Old May 9th 2014, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey they are cheap but one hell of a trip though for us from West Coast, changing three times! I am still hoping on the Queen Mary as being a wonderful way to wave goodbye to North America for good!! Still worth remembering them anyway when the time comes!
Old May 9th 2014, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Blimey they are cheap but one hell of a trip though for us from West Coast, changing three times! I am still hoping on the Queen Mary as being a wonderful way to wave goodbye to North America for good!! Still worth remembering them anyway when the time comes!
I can certainly give a thumbs for the Queen Mary. We traveled back on her from the UK to the US last September. (We went over on the Queen Elizabeth end of March last year and it was also fantastic).
Old May 9th 2014, 7:47 pm
Banned

r0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ncoomber
That's great......

They do get mixed reviews though.....so we had better set our expectations on the low end I think.....no free meals.....and I read you even have to pay to rent a head set!! However, there are five of us and United was the next best deal I could find and those tickets would have been over $3000 more in total....so to be honest I don't mind if I have to sit on the bloody floor!!!

Good luck
Cheers
Nigel
I've booked-August 6th-One stopover in Iceland with an hour and a half between flights and then on to Gatwick-As its a night flight we will eat a good meal before we board and download some movies onto our Kindles-The lack of perks provided is well worth it for the savings-Not to mention the TWO checked bag allowance as we are not shipping anything-You're going before me so I'll look forward to hearing about your experience :-)
Old May 9th 2014, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
I am going back with two dogs and I want to make sure they are WELL taken care of for the flight (and the befores and afters). Any idea what Icelandair is like in this regard?
They're not known for their quality services so I am not sure that I would trust them with my dog.

Also not sure where you are coming from but you may not be able to get a direct flight to Heathrow which I would not recommend transfers when you have dogs.
Old May 10th 2014, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
They're not known for their quality services so I am not sure that I would trust them with my dog.

Also not sure where you are coming from but you may not be able to get a direct flight to Heathrow which I would not recommend transfers when you have dogs.
Then I won't use Icelandair regardless of cheap fares.

I will be using British Airways - a nonstop flight into the UK Not cheap but I want a nonstop flight because of the pets - and also because I promised myself that when I take off once and for all, I will land only on British soil!!
Old May 10th 2014, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

when it comes to our fur babies we have to spend the extra money. Im going direct by Virgin who have a 100% record with transporting animals. Happy to pay the extra money for her and me if it means she will be well looked after and arrive safely. A non-stop flight is a must if you have a pet flying with you.
Old May 10th 2014, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
when it comes to our fur babies we have to spend the extra money. Im going direct by Virgin who have a 100% record with transporting animals. Happy to pay the extra money for her and me if it means she will be well looked after and arrive safely. A non-stop flight is a must if you have a pet flying with you.
I haven't booked the flights yet so I will look at Virgin, too. I doubt they are more expensive than BA so it is as well to inquire.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.