Wikiposts

One Way Flights

Old Jan 13th 2011, 2:06 am
Just Joined

jamesbulman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default One Way Flights

Hi Everyone,

(I apologies if this has already been answered elsewhere, I searched the forum but couldn't find anything)

After two years in Montreal it's now time for me to move back to the UK. I'm trying to find the cheapest way to get a one way flight back, but I've been shocked at the costs of one way flights (British Airways single $1284 vs return $876).

So I'm looking at buying a return and not using the second flight.

Has anyone found a better way to do this?

Also, why is so expensive to book from Canada vs the UK?

Thanks for your help,

- James
Old Jan 13th 2011, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice
Default Re: One Way Flights

Originally Posted by jamesbulman
Hi Everyone,

(I apologies if this has already been answered elsewhere, I searched the forum but couldn't find anything)

After two years in Montreal it's now time for me to move back to the UK. I'm trying to find the cheapest way to get a one way flight back, but I've been shocked at the costs of one way flights (British Airways single $1284 vs return $876).

Thanks for your help,

- James
James, Try Canadian Affair. Apparently I've read on this site that if you phone rather than booking online, they give you a better deal. I know what you mean, it seems Canadians are penalized for everything (except healthcare of course), even when the exchange rate is at par or better
Old Jan 13th 2011, 3:32 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your help,

- James
I think most people book a return and don't come back, I booked Ds a return with BA and before the return date he went in to the travel agent cancel and they said I should cal an 800 number (I did) and they refunded me some of the taxes and fees no question no attitude or anything, so I got a couple hundred back, still cheaper than a one way.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I think most people book a return and don't come back, I booked Ds a return with BA and before the return date he went in to the travel agent cancel and they said I should cal an 800 number (I did) and they refunded me some of the taxes and fees no question no attitude or anything, so I got a couple hundred back, still cheaper than a one way.
Oh that's really good to know. When we came to Canada originally, we booked return fares, but didn't think to cancel the return part. Thanks for the info
Old Jan 13th 2011, 3:40 am
Just Joined

This is all really useful stuff, thanks

I had a look at the Canadian Affair site and they are very cheap, sadly they don't fly from Montreal at this time of year

I'm guessing you can't only use the return ticket and get a refund on the outbound ticket (I was thinking about booking a return from the UK as it's so much cheaper).
Old Jan 13th 2011, 6:27 am
Just Joined

osnaith is an unknown quantity at this point

This is all really useful stuff, thanks

I had a look at the Canadian Affair site and they are very cheap, sadly they don't fly from Montreal at this time of year

I'm guessing you can't only use the return ticket and get a refund on the outbound ticket (I was thinking about booking a return from the UK as it's so much cheaper).
jamesbulman - be careful if you plan to do that as most airlines expect you to use the first part of the trip otherwise they cancel the second. I would suggest buying a return from Canada and not use the return part but do claim back the taxes that often make up around 1/2 of the cost of the return flight.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 7:10 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your help,

- James
Your observation that one-way tickets are more expensive than returns is correct, it's often mentioned by people who come back to the UK "for good".

You never know if you might want to return (even for a visit), so maybe book a return with the return in 12 months (I think that's the longest period you can book a return over), or maybe a return date for some time when you might like to go back (e.g., the summer). Then if you go back, use the return portion, and book another return to come back ... you could keep doing this and eventually not use the return (to Canada) portion, or if you do decide that you want to go back to Canada "for good", you'll have a one-way ticket to get there (i.e., the return portion of your ticket).

You never know what's around the corner - that's why I put "for good" in inverted commas - I've seen many folks change their mind on here, so you never know ...
Old Jan 14th 2011, 5:27 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

I booked a return flight with BA in the end, it was the cheapest option considering I have to fly from Montreal and my dates are fixed. I'll get a refund on the return ticket once I'm back in the UK.

I know some people do ping pong, but I also know this isn't for me. I really do know my mind on this