British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   One way flight back to UK....3 months & counting (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/one-way-flight-back-uk-3-months-counting-849235/)

Sammypeeps Dec 20th 2014 5:14 pm

One way flight back to UK....3 months & counting

It has been a very long time since I started a thread on here.....but for some reason today I decided to troll around the forum and after reading a number of uplifting posts I figured I would get in the game again!

After six and a half years of desperately trying to be happy in Canada having lived in Windsor,NS; Hamilton,ON; Okotoks,AB and most recently Orangeville, ON, my husband and I have now escaped to the USA and will be flying back to blighty in March.

it has been quite the journey and not one I would like to repeat. But the end is in sight! My husband qualified for his chosen profession in the USA which meant that he could not work in the UK legitimately until 2yrs post qualifying so we have been biding our time as best we can, but our flights our now booked! We gained our citizenship earlier this year as we figured we may as well but also it opens doors to the USA mainly being the ability to visit for up to 6 months at a time with no visa. So back in September we sent what was was left of our worldly possessions back to the UK, sold what we could and bought a 1985 Dodge campervan which we have been travelling the US in for the last 3 months.

It really has been quite the trip so far and a truly fantastic end to a miserable 6years. We have seen some amazing sights, visited some fantastic places and met some wonderful people. We have done around 8,000 miles so far, been out to California and are now in Oklahoma where we will be until the new year, after which we continue on to Florida and back up the east coast before flying back out of Halifax airport in march.

We are both looking forward to starting again (again) and are under no illusion that things will be easy once we rock back into the UK penniless and kind of Broken....but we have survived like so many of you in a foreign country with no support so I am hopeful it will be easier with friends, family and familiarity on our side.

No doubt, for those of us that have unsuccessfully given it it our all to try and 'fit' into other countries and cultures it is hard to admit defeat but what doesnt kill you makes you stronger and its all character building!

I wish all the best to everyone trying to get home And may you all have a wonderful Christmas and prosperous New Year!

Wombat7 Dec 20th 2014 5:29 pm

Re: One way flight back to UK....3 months & counting

Great post.

I hope you continue to enjoy your traveling. nothing wrong with deciding that a different place doesn't fit. Don't see it as defeat, you have learnt from the experience and that will pay off. Even though you decided that you did not fit in, I am sure there will be things that you will take back to the UK that will stand you in good stead.

happy holidays and best of the season to you.

britwhore Dec 20th 2014 5:35 pm

Sounds like a wonderful way to spend the last few months on this side of the pond! Have a wonderful Christmas and good luck on your new adventure!

lauben Dec 21st 2014 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Sammypeeps (Post 11508782)
It has been a very long time since I started a thread on here.....but for some reason today I decided to troll around the forum and after reading a number of uplifting posts I figured I would get in the game again!

After six and a half years of desperately trying to be happy in Canada having lived in Windsor,NS; Hamilton,ON; Okotoks,AB and most recently Orangeville, ON, my husband and I have now escaped to the USA and will be flying back to blighty in March.

it has been quite the journey and not one I would like to repeat. But the end is in sight! My husband qualified for his chosen profession in the USA which meant that he could not work in the UK legitimately until 2yrs post qualifying so we have been biding our time as best we can, but our flights our now booked! We gained our citizenship earlier this year as we figured we may as well but also it opens doors to the USA mainly being the ability to visit for up to 6 months at a time with no visa. So back in September we sent what was was left of our worldly possessions back to the UK, sold what we could and bought a 1985 Dodge campervan which we have been travelling the US in for the last 3 months.

It really has been quite the trip so far and a truly fantastic end to a miserable 6years. We have seen some amazing sights, visited some fantastic places and met some wonderful people. We have done around 8,000 miles so far, been out to California and are now in Oklahoma where we will be until the new year, after which we continue on to Florida and back up the east coast before flying back out of Halifax airport in march.

We are both looking forward to starting again (again) and are under no illusion that things will be easy once we rock back into the UK penniless and kind of Broken....but we have survived like so many of you in a foreign country with no support so I am hopeful it will be easier with friends, family and familiarity on our side.

No doubt, for those of us that have unsuccessfully given it it our all to try and 'fit' into other countries and cultures it is hard to admit defeat but what doesnt kill you makes you stronger and its all character building!

I wish all the best to everyone trying to get home And may you all have a wonderful Christmas and prosperous New Year!

Congratulations! We are starting to make plans to move from BC back to the UK. Can I ask you how you found shipping your belongings back and what a typical cost for this looks like? I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth leaving some things here and repurchasing in the UK. I can't wait to get back to the UK!!!

morayeel Dec 21st 2014 3:36 pm

Enjoy your travels here in the U.S and best of luck when you get back to the U.K

MrMuffin Dec 24th 2014 12:42 am

Happy to hear you're making the most of the last legs of the trip and good luck in your move home. I wish you well. Cheers, M

Bnet36 Dec 29th 2014 11:28 pm

Best wishes to you! We are also making the move back so its always good to hear from others making that move back.

Do you know where you are going back home?

between two worlds Jan 2nd 2015 10:20 am

Great post Sammypeeps! And good luck with all the prep for your return to the UK.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Sammypeeps Jan 6th 2015 2:28 pm

Thanks for the support guys.....will be Heading back home to Hampshire (Southampton/Winchester) area where we will attempt to start again, again!!

Sorry lauben just saw your question......due to constant moving and significant financial loss our belongings fitted into 10 boxes...very sad. Anyhow, we sent them back with the company Upackweship it cost around $1400. They arrived safely 6weeks after we dropped them at the depot. Found the service great and people very helpful. Good luck with your move!

Rosie Lee Jan 6th 2015 10:40 pm

What a brilliant way to end your journey over here. Good luck for your future restart!:thumbsup: