Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

One third of British Expats return to the UK earlier than they planned

One third of British Expats return to the UK earlier than they planned

Old May 29th 2013, 3:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One third of British Expats return to the UK earlier than they planned

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I'm "in the middle" as you put it regarding the US. Don't love it, but don't hate. I like some things and dislike others (particularly the gun culture and the health insurance system).
Pretty much in this camp too.

Indifferent really. Up and down's, just like anywhere.
Old May 29th 2013, 4:00 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One third of British Expats return to the UK earlier than they planned

Originally Posted by Boiler
You can not go back, things change.
I do agree. No matter which country you come to call "home", if you've been away from it for any length of time it can change enough to almost feel like another country altogether....
Old May 29th 2013, 4:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
I do agree. No matter which country you come to call "home", if you've been away from it for any length of time it can change enough to almost feel like another country altogether....
Things change, but do they really change that much? England never feels much different to me on visits.
Old May 29th 2013, 4:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Things change, but do they really change that much? England never feels much different to me on visits.
Same here...new buildings here and there...Eastern European accents but apart from that it's pretty much the same.
Old May 29th 2013, 4:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to live in Tower Hamlets. That has changed.
Old May 29th 2013, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

I used to live in Tower Hamlets. That has changed.
Tower Hamlets you say? My folks loved there for a while near St George in the East Church.

I came here just for the summer, that was 22 years ago
I'm ready to head back, never really felt settled here.
Old May 29th 2013, 6:37 pm
Account Closed

Have you been back in that period?
Old May 29th 2013, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you been back in that period?
yes many time up until about 12 years ago when my parents moved to a different part of East London which is much more buzzy and up and coming. TH was always a bit depressing I found, hope I'm not offending you...
Old May 29th 2013, 9:00 pm
Account Closed

Ohh no, it had changed so much last time I went through.

Still go for a curry at the Hal Al.
Old May 29th 2013, 11:19 pm
Occasionally here

sunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by audi4t

My perception of moving to the States is you either love it or hate it - not much in the middle.
I find it is a continuous process. I loved it for 5 years, then I started to notice the rot and the dream began to wear off. For the next 10 years I got progressively more uneasy, then about 5 years ago I woke up one day and admitted what I had suspected and was trying to suppress..... I had offically crossed over to hating it. I will be leaving when I retire. Simply put - I no-longer think the USA is a civilized place to live. Initial appearances are deceptive. Having been here 20+ years I now realize it probably was never a civilized place. Recent frank discussions with my American co-workers have been very enlightening. Despite the bullshit and patriotism, most of them have for years secretly been envious of the rest of the developed world. Some are thinking of emigrating - such talk is usually rare among Americans compared to, say, Brits. But the cry is getting louder.
Old May 29th 2013, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

mwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of light

I don't go back that often but when I do it seems not much has changed.
Same boarded up derelict pubs and I swear the people seem to be wearing the same dirty anoraks they were 30 years ago no matter what time of year it is.

Maybe I need to get out to some of the nicer parts next time I go back.
Old May 30th 2013, 10:57 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Well...of course YMMV, but I've "returned" to two countries to live after 10+ years' absences, and found both very changed. I don't think any place stays the same these days (or maybe ever did).
Old May 30th 2013, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ichigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really niceIchigo-chan is just really nice

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Well...of course YMMV, but I've "returned" to two countries to live after 10+ years' absences, and found both very changed. I don't think any place stays the same these days (or maybe ever did).
True - one can never go home.
Old May 30th 2013, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by penguinsix
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/exp...ming-back.html

The Telegraph has a survey today about returning expats who came back to the UK earlier than they planned.
The top five explanations given by those polled - who were allowed to choose multiple reasons - were financial difficulties (62 per cent) homesickness (47 per cent), cultural differences (44 per cent), visa expiration (39 per cent) and lack of social interaction (27 per cent).
I'd like to think I'm here for the duration now but you never know what might happen. I certainly don't get homesick and would really rather not go back unless I really have to although I can see why those top 5 would cause people to think about returning.
Old May 31st 2013, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
So, presumably, two thirds stayed for as long as, or longer, than they planned ...
That was my immediate reaction - 2/3rds stay longer than planned ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.