Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

One day I'm UP, next I'm down, if this normal??

Wikiposts

One day I'm UP, next I'm down, if this normal??

Old Jul 15th 2009, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

bubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud of
Default Re: One day I'm UP, next I'm down, if this normal??

I have a positive story to tell you about the schools ,We were in OZ for 7 years ,and i went through exactly the same emotions as you .......thought i would be happy after e made our minds up ,but really we were very scared .There was lots of heartache and tears,very very stressful.We went to visit both of the schools and got in straight away, which was a elief.After six months my 2 girls are making friends ,having sleepovers and enjoying their new life.We have bought a house ,set up a business which has been open 6 weeks and doing well .
I was sitting in my garden ,last night,enjoying the light night,sipping a glass of wine ,listening to the birds,watching the girls run around in the garden ,without worrying if anything was going to bite them!.....and had one of those defining moments that you have in life ,realising we had made the right decision and was really glad to be back ,albeit stressful at times ,but so was living in WA.I hope this helps you to see that you can get there in the end .I hope it works well for you .I know exactly how you are feeling ,but when we drive round the countryside we cannot believe how lovely it is ,we are seeing everything with different eyes and its great
Old Jul 15th 2009, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

audreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to all

Hi there

I am also in the dreaded limbo period in Canada before returning to UK so I get how you feel (although I am not dealing with kids and schools which sounds heinous).

My advice based on my current experience is when you feel overwhelmed, you need to prioritise your worries.

There is only so much control you can have about your future. Some things you can organise in advance and somethings you have to let play out. Being a woman, I think we are often the 'organisers' and do most of the worrying for everyone else, trying to control things and it becomes exhausting. I can talk to my OH and he recognises these concerns but he is not really worrying about them in the same way (I guess because he allows me to do the worrying and really interact with the problems OR I take them on myself).

Somethings you just have to switch off from. I am working on not worrying about certain things in my life. ie. I have not worked for the last year, there is a recession on in UK and I am returning with no job, I have no clue where I will live (after time at my parents) and what I want to do with my life. OK, well I have decided not to think about this until I get back because at this point there is NOTHING i can do about any of it and the worrying is TOTALLY pointless. If the negative thoughts sneak in, you have to banish them! (and believe me they sneak in a lot).

Work out what practical things REALLY need attention, and what things can be pushed aside. Just forget about some things and let fate sort them out. For the things that really need attention, take things one at a time and maybe use lists - just a few tasks a day, which you can get done and feel some achievement over.

It's pretty difficult to switch off from worrying specially when you are responsible for others, but if you don't you will be too overwhelmed to get anything done at all and just be in a panic.

Hope this is helpful!
Old Jul 15th 2009, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bubbles08
I have a positive story to tell you about the schools ,We were in OZ for 7 years ,and i went through exactly the same emotions as you .......thought i would be happy after e made our minds up ,but really we were very scared .There was lots of heartache and tears,very very stressful.We went to visit both of the schools and got in straight away, which was a elief.After six months my 2 girls are making friends ,having sleepovers and enjoying their new life.We have bought a house ,set up a business which has been open 6 weeks and doing well .
I was sitting in my garden ,last night,enjoying the light night,sipping a glass of wine ,listening to the birds,watching the girls run around in the garden ,without worrying if anything was going to bite them!.....and had one of those defining moments that you have in life ,realising we had made the right decision and was really glad to be back ,albeit stressful at times ,but so was living in WA.I hope this helps you to see that you can get there in the end .I hope it works well for you .I know exactly how you are feeling ,but when we drive round the countryside we cannot believe how lovely it is ,we are seeing everything with different eyes and its great
Onya Bubbles!!!!Glad everything is falling into place for you,and that you are noticing how truly gorgeous this country is of ours!Good luck with your business and hope its a roaring success!
Old Jul 15th 2009, 3:30 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by audreyrose23
Hi there

I am also in the dreaded limbo period in Canada before returning to UK so I get how you feel (although I am not dealing with kids and schools which sounds heinous).

My advice based on my current experience is when you feel overwhelmed, you need to prioritise your worries.

There is only so much control you can have about your future. Some things you can organise in advance and somethings you have to let play out. Being a woman, I think we are often the 'organisers' and do most of the worrying for everyone else, trying to control things and it becomes exhausting. I can talk to my OH and he recognises these concerns but he is not really worrying about them in the same way (I guess because he allows me to do the worrying and really interact with the problems OR I take them on myself).

Somethings you just have to switch off from. I am working on not worrying about certain things in my life. ie. I have not worked for the last year, there is a recession on in UK and I am returning with no job, I have no clue where I will live (after time at my parents) and what I want to do with my life. OK, well I have decided not to think about this until I get back because at this point there is NOTHING i can do about any of it and the worrying is TOTALLY pointless. If the negative thoughts sneak in, you have to banish them! (and believe me they sneak in a lot).

Work out what practical things REALLY need attention, and what things can be pushed aside. Just forget about some things and let fate sort them out. For the things that really need attention, take things one at a time and maybe use lists - just a few tasks a day, which you can get done and feel some achievement over.

It's pretty difficult to switch off from worrying specially when you are responsible for others, but if you don't you will be too overwhelmed to get anything done at all and just be in a panic.

Hope this is helpful!
That sounds like excellent advice to me and so true!
Old Jul 15th 2009, 5:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bubbles08

thanks so much for that...I really really needed to hear some positives today...ITS not been the best of dayz...

We are thinking about a business as well...I think i'm going to PM you..hope thats alright?

virtual ((hug))
Old Jul 15th 2009, 5:55 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

The exchange rate has dropped again, back down to 183CD So that should buck you up ( a little) xxx
Old Jul 15th 2009, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

Hi there

Hope this is helpful!

That is very good advice...thanks

ITs a mothering thing with me, looking to find her nest, finding a property to rent, I just need to know where WE are going..and this is my main concern, as is the schooling...I really wish i had parents/grandparents that could put us up for abit too,...seeing a place over the web, just doesn't cut it sometimes, doesn't really give you that first hand feel when walking thru the door...or to take a look at the neighbourhood/schools..iykwim.

thanks Everyone...keep up the good thoughts of England
Old Jul 15th 2009, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sans
The exchange rate has dropped again, back down to 183CD So that should buck you up ( a little) xxx
I'm all bucked up woohoo..my day IS getting better!!!!
thanks Sans your the best
Old Jul 15th 2009, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

audreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to all

Dewdrop, are you selling stuff on Kijiji? Does anyone else find it a complete nightmare? People are SO flaky and never turn up or mess you about. In the end you feel like giving stuff away jfor free ust so you don't have to deal with the flakes. Maybe it's me, I used to love Ebay in UK.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 7:42 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Dewdrop, are you selling stuff on Kijiji? Does anyone else find it a complete nightmare? People are SO flaky and never turn up or mess you about. In the end you feel like giving stuff away jfor free ust so you don't have to deal with the flakes. Maybe it's me, I used to love Ebay in UK.
I advertised my car on Kijiji and OH's....talk about indecisive...we must of had 20 peeps ring up and ask us exactly what we'd put in the ad....and then they'd say we'll get back to you Err

We also put for sale signs in the car...same thing happened I sold my car exactly 1 wk before i left " Phew" after it had been in the Auto trader for about 2 wks.....Someone from Calgary flew to VI and drove it back lols

Not sure what i'd of done ,if they hadn't bought it
Old Jul 15th 2009, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sans
I advertised my car on Kijiji and OH's....talk about indecisive...we must of had 20 peeps ring up and ask us exactly what we'd put in the ad....and then they'd say we'll get back to you Err

We also put for sale signs in the car...same thing happened I sold my car exactly 1 wk before i left " Phew" after it had been in the Auto trader for about 2 wks.....Someone from Calgary flew to VI and drove it back lols

Not sure what i'd of done ,if they hadn't bought it

we have a local car dealer that will purchase the car off us, IF we can't sell privately..and get friends to drive us to airport..

as for kijiji, yes its been great for selling baby things, that goes really quickly even used baby clothes,...but household things...baaaa humbug....WE will do a huge contents sale in the front room...I'm planning on another yard sale...that will make 3 this year As for EBAY I buy more than i sell...er um....
and ITS still going to cost us $8000 to move what we really want across the pond..good grief..I'M IN THE wrong business me thinks!
Old Jul 15th 2009, 9:23 am
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
Take heart that millions of people move across the globe every year, and somehow it all works out OK. We sell stuff, we move stuff, we buy more stuff, we turn grey in the process - and then suddenly we are sitting outside on a sunny day and life is good.

Good luck with it all
Kudos for the quote Ann - made me smile.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

In my book doll you're completely normal. I'm not looking forward to the scale of the emotions we are all going to hit oer the next few months. I'e already put the warning out to my DH and Ds that 'this is going to be ugly'. We already, like most have daily issues without adding the mamouth move on top. Take a deep breath girl and try to enjoy the ride. And come moan one here with me when it sucks
Old Jul 19th 2009, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by USAGypsies
In my book doll you're completely normal. I'm not looking forward to the scale of the emotions we are all going to hit oer the next few months. I'e already put the warning out to my DH and Ds that 'this is going to be ugly'. We already, like most have daily issues without adding the mamouth move on top. Take a deep breath girl and try to enjoy the ride. And come moan one here with me when it sucks
thanks mate...will do!!!

back to the drawing board for us on monday...on the phones to England about rentals...ho hum

nice to have you back!! xx