Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

One day I'm UP, next I'm down, if this normal??

Wikiposts

One day I'm UP, next I'm down, if this normal??

Old Jul 13th 2009, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of
Default One day I'm UP, next I'm down, if this normal??

Ok, so we move in about 5-6weeks from Ontario to Suffolk...and i'm really feeling the stress of it...trying to sell everything I don't want..trying to get the schools sorted..ALL are oversubscribed, so i'll have to appeal..?
cars, rentals(having a problem finding what we like) seems to be very limited in the place we are looking at!!!!!! eekkkkk,

I'm feeling sooooo overwhelmed I haven't a minute to get excited about this at all...after all these years of wanting IT, now i've got IT why aint I happy about it

Maybe i'll feel better in a year of being settled, once we have jobs, kids have friends, etc etc...trying to think positive

any happy thoughts for me?

thanks for listening
Old Jul 13th 2009, 12:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One day I'm UP, next I'm down, if this normal??

Sounds normal to me

Sounds like me, when we came here - apart from the schools bit - and I have to say that that would be the bit to stress me out too. Can't offer you any advice, except that it will work out fine in the end - honest! And the kids will be fine too. Even if you have to appeal or there are a few weeks delay in getting the kids started, you can guarantee that in a couple of months time, you will look back and just go "phew - all sorted".

Take heart that millions of people move across the globe every year, and somehow it all works out OK. We sell stuff, we move stuff, we buy more stuff, we turn grey in the process - and then suddenly we are sitting outside on a sunny day and life is good.

Good luck with it all
Old Jul 13th 2009, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

You are making a huge move (I've done it myself,from Oz to the UK)and its bound to be stressful at times,thats reality!No one likes being stressed,but if you just kind of accept it for what it is,then it gets easier to deal with,if that makes sense.As each day passes,you are getting closer to the move and getting things done,so it will get easier.Don't fret too much over the schools issue,I'm sure something positive will happen soon.Houses?There seems to be an abundance of rentals where I live,but hopefully you'll find something that suits you real soon.Make sure you take some time out to relax,and have some faith that all will be well,good luck and take care of yourself!
Old Jul 13th 2009, 6:47 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dewdrop
Ok, so we move in about 5-6weeks from Ontario to Suffolk...and i'm really feeling the stress of it...trying to sell everything I don't want..trying to get the schools sorted..ALL are oversubscribed, so i'll have to appeal..?
cars, rentals(having a problem finding what we like) seems to be very limited in the place we are looking at!!!!!! eekkkkk,

I'm feeling sooooo overwhelmed I haven't a minute to get excited about this at all...after all these years of wanting IT, now i've got IT why aint I happy about it

Maybe i'll feel better in a year of being settled, once we have jobs, kids have friends, etc etc...trying to think positive

any happy thoughts for me?

thanks for listening
Having recently returned, I can relate to the stress you are going through. I cant help with the schools situation, but cars shouldnt be much of a problem!! Theres a huge glut of them here. Are you wanting new or secondhand car??
Will you be buying or renting a home initially? And how restricted for areas are you?
Old Jul 14th 2009, 1:33 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Dewdrop - you've just described how just about every one of us felt just prior to our moves back to the UK - all normal - it will all work itself out - don't worry

With regard to school appeals I can tell you - appeals into infant classes (year R, 1 & 2) are nigh on impossible to win as law governs class sizes must be confined to a max. of 30 - appeals from Y 3 onwards are easier to win and involve you putting together a case as to why your son/daughter should attend the school - your case should basically outweigh the case the school puts together which will outline why they feel they cannot accomodate and extra child and the effect it will have on their school - my top tips are concentrate on your child and why they would suffer (emotionaly/academically etc) if they do not get a place at the school - don't slag off other schools in your appeal.

Your appeal will then be heard by an independant panel who will hear your case and that of the school and make a decision. The panel and the school rep (sometimes the head/sometimes another member of staff) may ask you questions during the appeal. If you are appealing on religious ground ensure you have a letter from your minister and similarly if you have any medical reasons even if they are 'emotional' try and get a letter from your GP to back up your claims. Good luck!
Old Jul 14th 2009, 4:20 am
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

I know what you mean about finding a house, it was difficult to find something family sized in suffolk a few years ago, although I would have thought there would be more about these days, with folks not being able to sell. I have been looking at houses in the west mids for a few fruitless weeks.

Are you looking at ipswich or one of the smaller towns?

Schools will be a nightmare most of them are smaller and good ones tend to be over subscribed - can you opt for private - there are some nice private schools in suffolk. I suppose not having an address works against you, they clamped down a few years ago on people who were moving into catchment areas just to get into schools - it turned out that some didnt actually live where they said they did!

good luck
Old Jul 14th 2009, 5:44 am
BE Enthusiast

dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

thank you everyone for your info and making it feel Alot better...ahhhhh! YOU guys are great!!!! I have been to the beach today...so it has given me time away from the computer...

Questions: we hope to rent for a short while then Buy!! we might find the town outside Ipswich not for us...and IT depends on work too. Cars, can only afford one. So i'm sure hubby will have that.

the school thing is going to give me gray hair i can see it...I probably won't have a vehicle so i will need both schools, in the catchment to the house..so i can walk them to school...both in opposite directions...good grief...that will be a early morning...highschool and primary!

xx
Old Jul 14th 2009, 9:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I probably won't have a vehicle so i will need both schools, in the catchment to the house..so i can walk them to school...both in opposite directions...good grief...that will be a early morning...highschool and primary!

xx
Take heart that after about one day, your high school child won't want you to walk them to school - so start looking at bus routes or a new bicycle (depending on how busy those routes would be, I guess - that would be my fear, after my kids learning to cycle on the fairly low-traffic areas here in Canada, I think the UK narrow roads and fast routes would be scary!).
Old Jul 14th 2009, 9:37 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dewdrop Yes its is perfectly normal to be this way and that......As much as i wanted to come home, my head was in bits battling it all out " PHEW" ...so glad i didn't back down.

And it did feel abit strange for afew wks to start with (for me anyway)...

The local school board here wouldn't even entertain my kids till we were back living here...And then they made us go to an appeal, which did go in our favour " Thankfully" it wasn't half as daunting as i had imagined it would be.
As for transport to school, they supply it, if its more then ( i think ) a mile away.
That was part of my argument, the school the board decided would be the next closest for my kids, was 10 miles away Which meant they would be travelling 100 miles aweek to and from and at the busiest times of day.

The appeal panel..(in my case) ran rings around the guy representing the school and i didn't have to say much at all in the end.

My advise is... slow down, those grey hairs are damed hard to cover Everything will happen it just might not all happen at the same time
Old Jul 14th 2009, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ann m
Take heart that after about one day, your high school child won't want you to walk them to school - so start looking at bus routes or a new bicycle (depending on how busy those routes would be, I guess - that would be my fear, after my kids learning to cycle on the fairly low-traffic areas here in Canada, I think the UK narrow roads and fast routes would be scary!).
even though eldest will be in highschool..that would be Grade 6 here in Canada, i'll be going with her most of the way....til i'm confident in a new country...
Old Jul 14th 2009, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sans
Hi Dewdrop Yes its is perfectly normal to be this way and that......As much as i wanted to come home, my head was in bits battling it all out " PHEW" ...so glad i didn't back down.

And it did feel abit strange for afew wks to start with (for me anyway)...

The local school board here wouldn't even entertain my kids till we were back living here...And then they made us go to an appeal, which did go in our favour " Thankfully" it wasn't half as daunting as i had imagined it would be.
As for transport to school, they supply it, if its more then ( i think ) a mile away.
That was part of my argument, the school the board decided would be the next closest for my kids, was 10 miles away Which meant they would be travelling 100 miles aweek to and from and at the busiest times of day.

The appeal panel..(in my case) ran rings around the guy representing the school and i didn't have to say much at all in the end.

My advise is... slow down, those grey hairs are damed hard to cover Everything will happen it just might not all happen at the same time
thanks Sans...for your uplifting post....((hugs))

after all this worry about schools...lets hope WE really like this area...as i don't want to go thru THIS appeal stuff again.
anywhere else I wouldn't know about the schools...I suppose i'm alittle thick haha

cheers matey x
Old Jul 14th 2009, 10:29 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

thanks Sans...for your uplifting post....((hugs))

after all this worry about schools...lets hope WE really like this area...as i don't want to go thru THIS appeal stuff again.
anywhere else I wouldn't know about the schools...I suppose i'm alittle thick haha

cheers matey x
Its amazing how much more help you get when pretending to be thick
Its quiet clever really

You'll be right

Ps If you dont like it...you could always come up North and have a laugh
Old Jul 14th 2009, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Heljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to behold

I'm leaving Aus in 2.5 weeks and I know too how draining the whole process is. It's a little easier for me because we only came for a year to see how we liked it and left pretty much every back in the UK, accept for jobs. Hubby will get a job but will probably have to work away again, so that's a bit stressful.

I've managed to secure both my boys school places from here. I applied online using my Aus address, but told them I had a UK address as well, but not having a UK address didn't seem to bother my particular Council, as they were happy to process the applications without one, as long I produced passports. Maybe council policies differ between areas. 7 year old son got a place easily, but I had to appeal for 4 year old to start Reception. It's a little village school and class size is restricted to 16, and because it's got an outstanding Ofsted report people are starting to flock there. He got in though, phew! My 7 year old could have gone back to his old private school, but he hated it and was so unhappy there. The upside to a lot of private schools is that they go from 4-18 which means siblings are all at the same school (if you can afford it ). I wish state schools did the same, it would be a helluva lot easier for parents.

Good luck to both of you, and as everyone else has said it will all fall into place.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Heljinder
I'm leaving Aus in 2.5 weeks and I know too how draining the whole process is. It's a little easier for me because we only came for a year to see how we liked it and left pretty much every back in the UK, accept for jobs. Hubby will get a job but will probably have to work away again, so that's a bit stressful.

I've managed to secure both my boys school places from here. I applied online using my Aus address, but told them I had a UK address as well, but not having a UK address didn't seem to bother my particular Council, as they were happy to process the applications without one, as long I produced passports. Maybe council policies differ between areas. 7 year old son got a place easily, but I had to appeal for 4 year old to start Reception. It's a little village school and class size is restricted to 16, and because it's got an outstanding Ofsted report people are starting to flock there. He got in though, phew! My 7 year old could have gone back to his old private school, but he hated it and was so unhappy there. The upside to a lot of private schools is that they go from 4-18 which means siblings are all at the same school (if you can afford it ). I wish state schools did the same, it would be a helluva lot easier for parents.

Good luck to both of you, and as everyone else has said it will all fall into place.

It said on the suffolk council it was too late to apply online? maybe i miss read it... i did print off a copy and there IT sits here, until i have a UK address. and photocopy passports...I'm thinking now, i should just send it off. hopefully they don't mail anything back to Canada.?
Old Jul 14th 2009, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

Heljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to behold

It said on the suffolk council it was too late to apply online? maybe i miss read it... i did print off a copy and there IT sits here, until i have a UK address. and photocopy passports...I'm thinking now, i should just send it off. hopefully they don't mail anything back to Canada.?
Yes, you're probably right it might be too late to apply online for certain entry points ie. Reception or first year in high school. Unlike my 4 year old, I didn't have to apply to the council for my 7 year old's place though, I just contacted the school I wanted him to go to to see if there were any available places. They emailed the forms for me to fill in and return, and they allocated a place there and then on the phone. The school my boys will go to isn't within our catchment either, so as long as places are available it can be quite an easy process.

Have you checked out the Ofsted website (you probably have already) for info on schools in your area? There's detailed info on all schools which can help you decide which school might best suit your children.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.