OMG - A glimmer of hope

Old Jul 18th 2011, 11:00 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OMG - A glimmer of hope

Last night my very upset 19 year old confessed she wants to go back to Scotland (we have been here just over 4 years),
She has done brilliantly in that time, I couldnt have asked for any more, you could've knocked me down with a feather after this revelation last night.
My initial reaction was its a boyfriend problem (they have been together over a year), but its definately not, infact this is her worry here, is his reaction, Knowing the boy v.well (and i confess i am exceptionally fond of him), i think we might be returning with plus one son

She is at university here and wants to go back to Scotland and go to uni, now we know it will be tricky (the 3 bloody year rule and all that,), but we're gonna look into it all, and if it works out that she will be able to go to uni, then we will be looking at heading back june/july 2012 yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy.

I have wanted to return the first six months we got here, family said no , etc, etc, even daughter who is now desperate to go home. Husband said no, he is so laid back he's horizontal, and his reaction last night was s'pose it would be best
Old Jul 19th 2011, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of
Default Re: OMG - A glimmer of hope

If you or your husband can demonstrate that you were here temporarily (such as by a temporary employment contract) then that will help with the three years rule.

With most unis increasing tuition fees to GBP 9K in 2012, the difference between home/EU fees and international fees will not be as painful as it used to be (in my daughter's case, around GBP 5K per year) if you do get stuck with being classed as international.

Perhaps the bigger downside is that international students are obviously not eligible for student loans, so everything has to be paid up front.

Good Luck.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 6:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
Last night my very upset 19 year old confessed she wants to go back to Scotland (we have been here just over 4 years),
She has done brilliantly in that time, I couldnt have asked for any more, you could've knocked me down with a feather after this revelation last night.
My initial reaction was its a boyfriend problem (they have been together over a year), but its definately not, infact this is her worry here, is his reaction, Knowing the boy v.well (and i confess i am exceptionally fond of him), i think we might be returning with plus one son

She is at university here and wants to go back to Scotland and go to uni, now we know it will be tricky (the 3 bloody year rule and all that,), but we're gonna look into it all, and if it works out that she will be able to go to uni, then we will be looking at heading back june/july 2012 yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy.

I have wanted to return the first six months we got here, family said no , etc, etc, even daughter who is now desperate to go home. Husband said no, he is so laid back he's horizontal, and his reaction last night was s'pose it would be best
Well thats bloody marvellous for you.

I know how hard it is getting everyone to agree Get em tickets before they change their minds again
Old Jul 19th 2011, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by killerhales
With most unis increasing tuition fees to GBP 9K in 2012, the difference between home/EU fees and international fees will not be as painful as it used to be (in my daughter's case, around GBP 5K per year) if you do get stuck with being classed as international.
That's for England, it works a bit differently in Scotland for domestic students.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 12:01 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Well thats bloody marvellous for you.

I know how hard it is getting everyone to agree Get em tickets before they change their minds again
Aint that the truth, shes not so sure tonight
Old Jul 19th 2011, 12:02 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Margaret you must be like in shock! I so hope it works out for you, I know how much you've wanted to return - maybe this is the defining moment
Old Jul 19th 2011, 12:03 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Oh flipping heck, remind her of all the reasons why going back is A Good Thing
Old Jul 19th 2011, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Margaret that is such wonderful news. Can she not transfer Uni's? just a thought, the three year rule is a pain but when did your daughter last go back home for a visit? our oldest son was not charged overseas fee's which is not what we were expecting and we were honest in the info. we handed to the Uni so you never know. Good luck soooooo pleased for you we were in Edinburgh in June and we just loved that City visited Glasgow just before Christmas and are planning a return trip (we got married in Scotland 21 years ago this Sunday) around the West Coast of Scotland next year....what lovely things you will be going home to...
Old Jul 19th 2011, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Sugar, I did not read this quote...look just tell her she's going back to the land of the living where she can travel, experience real culture and just have a bloody good time as the young should.....
Old Jul 19th 2011, 7:17 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps the bigger downside is that international students are obviously not eligible for student loans, so everything has to be paid up front.

Good Luck.
This is not always the case. The university my son will be attending will accept tuition/accommodation fees over a 7 month payment plan.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! A light at the end of the tunnel which isnt a bloody great freight train bearing down upon you. Just assure her that there is a fabulous big wide world out there and she will have a ball with so much to see and do on her doorstep back in UK. It must be a scary prospect for her moving at this time but hopefully she will be able to get credit for her Aus uni courses.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sue
This is not always the case. The university my son will be attending will accept tuition/accommodation fees over a 7 month payment plan.
Thanks Sue; I overgeneralised. I was thinking more about the "never-never" of the student loan versus any other form of payment.

Seven months will certainly help with the cash flow! I hope my daughter's eventual uni has something similar.

To the comment re Scotland, there are clearly a number of differences with England, but having just looked at the UKCISA site it seems clear that the three year rule still applies, so that is not one of them.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 9:43 am
Account Closed

Thanks all ,discussions are ongoing.

Had to laugh last night, we were discussing it all, and my 12 year old pipes up, ahhh i'll miss you guys ehhhh you'll be coming, her 'no i wont' me 'yes you will' do you see the pattern here
Old Jul 20th 2011, 3:40 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

good luck Margaret!
Old Jul 20th 2011, 3:53 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Seven months will certainly help with the cash flow!
Indeed, I breathed a little sigh of relief when I saw that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.