Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

OMG...finally made a decision!

OMG...finally made a decision!

Old Jan 19th 2005, 8:27 pm
scoobydoo

Default OMG...finally made a decision!

We are now in our 10th month in Australia, and after all that time I still dislike living here, so we have finally (after months of painful and tedious discussions) decided to go back to the UK!!!

It has been an even harder decision to make than it was to emigrate here...we always said that if one of us was very unhappy we would do what they wanted to, but that is easier said than done. I know that my husband doesn't want to be stuck in traffic on the M25 and out in the grey rain, but he doesn't want to spend another few months with me depressed and miserable!
We have been going round and round with discussions for months now and it becomes incredibly wearing...also having that constant thought of should we go or stay in your head all the time...it has driven us potty.Even trying to say "we won't think about it for a few months" doesn't work as it inevitably ends up in a conversation at some stage!!

We can now focus on what we are going to do...I think the trick will be to only look forward and to make the most of the time we have left here. I am excited and scared at the same time! We will have changed and a few friends in the Uk will probably not be around, but we have learnt that you should never take friends and family for granted, that you should make the most of what you have got, and enjoy all of lifes experiences!

We have decided not to stay for citizenship, which may seem foolish to some, but when you have been so unhappy in a country what is the point...we will never want to live there again. If the maddest thing happens and we get back to the UK and think we have made a mistake we still have 3 years left on our visas!!!! Although I would probably try somewhere a bit nearer home!!

I can't wait to earn decent money again (without having to put my child in after school care due to inflexible employers), have a nice chat at the school with friendly people, have my sons friends round for tea after school as they live closer, drive up the road without being tailgated by some ute driver and be in green, wet countryside, have friends round for coffee and talk rubbish...the list is endless!!

We have now got 6 weeks of parents visiting so can really enjoy doing all the tourist stuff, again!!! And then the hectic moving stuff can be organised!

Old Jan 19th 2005, 8:47 pm
Merlot

Default Re: OMG...finally made a decision!

You should put your thoughts on the Australia site to give it a more balanced view and help those moving over.

They will appreciate your feelings and reasons.

Good luck
Merlot

Old Jan 19th 2005, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

sharkbait is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scoobydoo
We are now in our 10th month in Australia, and after all that time I still dislike living here, so we have finally (after months of painful and tedious discussions) decided to go back to the UK!!!

It has been an even harder decision to make than it was to emigrate here...we always said that if one of us was very unhappy we would do what they wanted to, but that is easier said than done. I know that my husband doesn't want to be stuck in traffic on the M25 and out in the grey rain, but he doesn't want to spend another few months with me depressed and miserable!
We have been going round and round with discussions for months now and it becomes incredibly wearing...also having that constant thought of should we go or stay in your head all the time...it has driven us potty.Even trying to say "we won't think about it for a few months" doesn't work as it inevitably ends up in a conversation at some stage!!

We can now focus on what we are going to do...I think the trick will be to only look forward and to make the most of the time we have left here. I am excited and scared at the same time! We will have changed and a few friends in the Uk will probably not be around, but we have learnt that you should never take friends and family for granted, that you should make the most of what you have got, and enjoy all of lifes experiences!

We have decided not to stay for citizenship, which may seem foolish to some, but when you have been so unhappy in a country what is the point...we will never want to live there again. If the maddest thing happens and we get back to the UK and think we have made a mistake we still have 3 years left on our visas!!!! Although I would probably try somewhere a bit nearer home!!

I can't wait to earn decent money again (without having to put my child in after school care due to inflexible employers), have a nice chat at the school with friendly people, have my sons friends round for tea after school as they live closer, drive up the road without being tailgated by some ute driver and be in green, wet countryside, have friends round for coffee and talk rubbish...the list is endless!!

We have now got 6 weeks of parents visiting so can really enjoy doing all the tourist stuff, again!!! And then the hectic moving stuff can be organised!

Good for you. I'm sure many of us can easily relate to how you feel and now the decision has been made, things can only get better. Good luck !!
Old Jan 20th 2005, 2:53 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Good for you. Your life will no longer be on hold. You can move on to the next chapter

Aus isn't for everyone and it wasn't for you. No worries. Move on.

Good luck and enjoy Oz now you know you can

Old Jan 20th 2005, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

muttymutt is an unknown quantity at this point

I was just looking at your post and for one minute I thought I'd written it!!!!! We have been going through the exact same thing!!! The only difference for us is we are currently living in Spain and have been for 2yrs so not so far to go. Me and my hubby have had the same discussions as you, we said at the start if one of us isnt happy we would return. Well that time arrived and it was me (as usual ) that wasnt happy so we have finally decided to return. I cannot wait, for the same reasons as you. We have two children and I miss their social life as much as my own!! The sun is lovely but the novelty SOON wears off!! Today the weather is gorgeous my washing has dried real quick and Ive been doing the gardening this morning, as I am often reminded by other expats 'You won't be able to do that in England!!' Now the decision has been made I don't care about the weather, just very excited about returning asap!!
Glad to hear we are not the only family going through this!!
When are you planning to return and where to?

Good luck and hopefully one day we can talk on here from our 'proper' homes!!!

Old Jan 20th 2005, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Bella will become famous soon enough

Hi scoobydoo,

I've followed your posts with interest, mainly because many of your experiences & feelings resonated so much with mine when I was in Oz.

I was unhappy after a month & no matter what I did I never got any happier.
Mr Bella, hoewever, settled easily & happily. But, knowing I was so unhappy he agreed to return which we did after a year. Since return, life has not been a bed of roses but I have not a single regret about moving back to UK. All the things I missed, all the people I missed, it is fantastic to be a part of it/them all again.

I had no qualms about leaving before gaining citizenship - I have no intention of returning to Oz for a holiday let alone a long spell & I couldn't contemplate another year plus in Oz, to me it would be another year of misery.

For some Oz is just not right, nothing to do with positive attitude or sunny disposition or finding the right job or perseverance - it's just not right.

Good luck with all your plans - I hope you can feel some relief now you've made a decision. Enjoy, if you can, the time you are still there & don't ponder too much on the effort of moving back - every bit of hardship was worth it to me just to land on terra firma in good old Blighty!

All the best,
Bella
Old Jan 20th 2005, 7:03 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

I bet you feel as if a very big weight has been lifted from your shoulders.

All the best Scoobydoo

Susan
Old Jan 21st 2005, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

marbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nice

[QUOTE=scoobydoo] My husband and I felt like we had a new lease of life when we made the decision to go. The planning and organising gets frustrating and waiting for the house to sell is awful but knowing that soon we will be back in the Uk makes it all worth while. we just feel better knowing we are going especially as yesterday we paid for our plane tickets and that we aren't stuck here for good. So you can smile now and look forward to the next phase in your life
Old Jan 21st 2005, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Good Luck. Having those discussions day in, day out is horrible. I hope that it all works out for you.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 7:05 pm

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Good luck with your move, we have came to the same conclusion here in NZ wich was helped by our house not selling too. Its beautiful here but you just can't afford to live here. We also had started our PR applications and are half way through it. But what's the point, we have to return to sunny Newcastle. At the end of the day only you know what's best for you. We thought about moving to Oz for better money etc but it seems to be much of the same but dryer and hotter. Still better to have tried it than to always wonder. Regards.
Old Jan 25th 2005, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=scoobydoo]We are now in our 10th month in Australia, and after all that time I still dislike living here, so we have finally (after months of painful and tedious discussions) decided to go back to the UK!!!

Your going to love it! I'm enjoying being back X
Old Jan 25th 2005, 10:11 pm
scoobydoo

Thank you all for your support. Sometimes it feels like we are the only ones in the world with the dillemma as we don't know anyone here who would consider moving back!

It will be good to feel settled again...I hope! And to be able to get on with life!

Best wishes to everyone else in the same situation xxxx

Old Jan 29th 2005, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for your support. Sometimes it feels like we are the only ones in the world with the dillemma as we don't know anyone here who would consider moving back!
yes, that's what I found really hard about moving back - so many people questioning my decision to return ("why on earth would you want to go back to the UK" - generally Brits who had never been to Australia and Aussies who had never left Australia!). Makes you think you're a freak! This forum was great in that I was able to talk to people who didn't think I was a loon for essentially giving up something that others were waiting on with such anticipation.

Everyone has their own reasons for going back...our lives are all so different and we all have different influences and priorities. We have to do what is best for us and right for us at the time.

Good luck to you for your return to the UK and enjoy the rest of your Oz adventure. Have you set a date for return yet?
HP