British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   OMG! Exchange, Exchange!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/omg-exchange-exchange-580696/)

Fleaflyfloflum Dec 29th 2008 1:19 pm

OMG! Exchange, Exchange!!

I know most of us in Aus are in bed by now (apart from Perthites), but i just looked at the exchange rate 2.099 :eek:

The lowest i have ever seen it is 2.04 in June last year. For all those leaving pretty soon, keep an eye on it! We could be quids in if this keeps up :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I am dithering. Do we leap now or wait a day or two :confused:

onepearlyb Dec 29th 2008 8:29 pm

Re: OMG! Exchange, Exchange!!

Oooooohhhhhhh - tricky one - I'd do it now as not that much difference. BUT - I'm still waiting for the cash from some of our stuff we've sold so I don't have anything to exchange right now.

Bummer when you sell stuff and at the time say "yeah. no rush for the cash....." and then they actually listen to you for once!

Had an offer on the car lastnight tho a little low. Trying to negotiate, but the woman hasn't come back to us yet. Grrrrrrrr.

Hope your boosting your immune system in prep for going home by the way, darllink!

quoll Dec 29th 2008 8:37 pm

Wow! Looking good for my holiday after all! I was packing it there for a while.

onepearlyb Dec 29th 2008 8:43 pm

Could I "book" that rate and pay in a few weeks?? Do they let you do that? I'm with Ozforex.

onepearlyb Dec 29th 2008 8:45 pm

Just checked - it's back up to 2.11 on Ozforex at the moment.

scrubbedexpat055 Dec 29th 2008 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by onepearlyb (Post 7108314)
Could I "book" that rate and pay in a few weeks?? Do they let you do that? I'm with Ozforex.

Yes they do (I think you have to pay 10% to secure rate)

bev1 Dec 29th 2008 9:42 pm

try www.torfx.com/rates

we got a really crap rate coming out so we need it to drop more !!!

Nu-Shooz Dec 29th 2008 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum (Post 7106729)
I know most of us in Aus are in bed by now (apart from Perthites), but i just looked at the exchange rate 2.099 :eek:

The lowest i have ever seen it is 2.04 in June last year. For all those leaving pretty soon, keep an eye on it! We could be quids in if this keeps up :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I am dithering. Do we leap now or wait a day or two :confused:

I changed $12,000 last week at 2.2..i am devastated arghhh, should have done it now at 2.04. It's just getting the timing right.

Hope it drops more and more by the time i have my house sale money on the 11th Jan:thumbsup:

Drop god damn it, drop...hehehehe

gmralston Jan 1st 2009 2:49 am

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz (Post 7108964)
I changed $12,000 last week at 2.2..i am devastated arghhh, should have done it now at 2.04. It's just getting the timing right.

Hope it drops more and more by the time i have my house sale money on the 11th Jan:thumbsup:

Drop god damn it, drop...hehehehe

Getting the timing right with currency is like winning the lottery, it really involves that degree of luck.

I look at this way, don't worry if you could of made an extra few quid waiting, think about what you would of lost if you transferred last month when the your holding currency was weaker.

Currency speculation is risky,experts have lost billions. if you come out of it up by any amount then your quids in.

TraceyW Jan 1st 2009 8:47 am

Originally Posted by onepearlyb (Post 7108314)

You can pre book your currency with HiFX and they will hold it for a couple of weeks at no charge.

rab Jan 2nd 2009 10:06 am

I am thinking of selling up later this year. How do I lock in today's rate?

Aviator Jan 2nd 2009 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by rab (Post 7119086)
I am thinking of selling up later this year. How do I lock in today's rate?

You book a forward contract rate. It is a contract though, so you are committed to the exchange on the specified date and at the rate booked. Try and cancel it will likley cost you.

onepearlyb Jan 2nd 2009 6:44 pm

Down to 2.05 right now guys!!!

iamthecreaturefromuranus Jan 2nd 2009 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by onepearlyb (Post 7120252)
Down to 2.05 right now guys!!!

...and still going down. Now 2.04

onepearlyb Jan 3rd 2009 12:55 am

It was 0.4881p / $2.04 this morning! I missed out on it by hoping it'd jump one more time! It didn't. That was the highest it went this morning at about 7.15am.
Now I can't get into Ozforex! Anyone know if they close at weekends?