Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

An Old Guy Going Home - Advice Please

An Old Guy Going Home - Advice Please

Old Feb 24th 2009, 9:36 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An Old Guy Going Home - Advice Please

Originally Posted by cricket1
Just a thought but I think your wife might find a job easily with any of the UK's many charities. You need to do a search but if you type in UK charities, job opportunities, you'd probably get some idea of what they're looking for.
What your wife earns will mean you get less in any benefits but at least it's a start.

Found you a couple of links to get you started.

http://www.charityjob.co.uk/

http://www.charitypeople.com/search.aspx
Old Feb 25th 2009, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

catch22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Regarding bringing your wife to the UK...I think you have to prove you have somewhere to live and have a certain amount of savings/income...so she will not be a burden to UK taxpayers.

Try the search function located in the pink bar at the top of the page to search for past threads about spouses moving to the UK.
Yes, I think you are quite right - accommodation and proof of not being a burden to taxpayers is the main criteria. As I said at the very start of the thread I have 5,000 pounds insavings - maybe if that's in her name it might help? Thanks for the response and info.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 1:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by catch22
Yes, I think you are quite right - accommodation and proof of not being a burden to taxpayers is the main criteria. As I said at the very start of the thread I have 5,000 pounds insavings - maybe if that's in her name it might help? Thanks for the response and info.
I don't have any idea how much money you need...but I think you probably have to show you have the money to support her.

Take a look through these they may be of some help:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...e+moving+to+UK

Old Feb 25th 2009, 1:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sans
Well if she's got good teeth she's sorted

I really carn't answer on the immigration and bringing spouses over ..sorry Its not something that i have ever had to look into...but their are lots on here that have.
Maybe if you start a new thread and head line it with that question, you will get the right people to answer it for you

But people do it ..all the time so dont lose heart....

So why wont you need a stick
Hmmm why did I say that? Maybe just thinking she wouldn't be a burden on the NHS dentists.
I will search as many threads as possible - I'm sure there's lots of ideas/suggestions out there judging by just this one thread.
I think what you say is good advice...'don't lose heart'...it's nice to receive encouragement - thanks.

I didn't say I won't need a stick, I said maybe I won't have to buy that stick (inferring that by the time I get this all sorted I'll probably already have one)
Old Feb 25th 2009, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cricket1
Just a thought but I think your wife might find a job easily with any of the UK's many charities. You need to do a search but if you type in UK charities, job opportunities, you'd probably get some idea of what they're looking for.
What your wife earns will mean you get less in any benefits but at least it's a start.
Thanks - I think looking into charities might be a good idea that I hadn't thought of. She is certainly experienced in the plight of many disadvantaged groups - and as I said has a very caring nature and extremely adaptable. It would be Ok with me to receive less in benefits if it helped my wife progress towards independence in UK.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Jerseygirl and cricket for the links.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 10:59 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

You know who wrote them Jules , but I do agree the one about Hungry Joe is a corker and I can certainly relate to the first.
Our friend Joseph Heller
Old Feb 25th 2009, 11:04 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sans
Lols Yep they listen in We in another forum use to test them to see how far they would go......child like i know...but when your bored

Your wife sounds wonderful by the way and i'm sure she will fit in very well.....

And you will get Income support and help with council tax etc If you end up in rented you will also get help with rent, whether it be council or private.

Is your wife younger then you ??? If she is working ...not sure how that would affect your benefits......You may lose them, that ones a tricky one as your wife wouldn't be a UK citizen,, so she wouldn't...I'm guessing be expected to support you ???
But if she's working ...you maybe wouldn't need to claim Income support.

Of course you could buy a stick and do the bad back thing and get incapacity benefits
I wish I could find a woman to keep me................Problem is, I doubt that they could keep me in the style I`m accustomed to.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 11:07 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

You know who wrote them Jules , but I do agree the one about Hungry Joe is a corker and I can certainly relate to the first.
Who wrote these gems?

"A hospital bed is a parked taxi with the meter running"

"A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere"

"A man´s only as old as the woman he feels"

"Behind every successful man is a woman, behind her his wife"

"Marry me and I`ll never look at another horse"
Old Feb 26th 2009, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Who wrote these gems?

"A hospital bed is a parked taxi with the meter running"

"A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere"

"A man´s only as old as the woman he feels"

"Behind every successful man is a woman, behind her his wife"

"Marry me and I`ll never look at another horse"
Blimey Jules, you must be a 100 years old.

"My favourite poem is the one that starts 'Thirty days hath September' because it actually tells you something". Groucho Marx
Old Feb 26th 2009, 9:04 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Blimey Jules, you must be a 100 years old.

"My favourite poem is the one that starts 'Thirty days hath September' because it actually tells you something". Groucho Marx
Less 65 years, Lets just say I appreciate geniuses and especially funny ones and Groucho was certainly one.

"From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it" Groucho Marx