Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

An Old Guy Going Home - Advice Please

An Old Guy Going Home - Advice Please

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 11:00 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An Old Guy Going Home - Advice Please

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
I know the feeling hun. Thats why i have stopped bothering lately
I'm pleased someone's taking notice....
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

catch22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Heljinder
Is it just me, or is there something suspect about this thread??
Something suspect??

I placed some straight forward questions for advice and received a few very constructive answers including your Sans (sorry) and then the topic was taken off thread and I tried to bring it back......

I know I'm new to EP, but what must I do? I can't phrase every word to satisy everyone's curiosity and I really do fail to see anything suspect.

Let me make it crystal clear. I'm an old guy planning to go home and welcome....GENUINELY welcome advice.

PLEASE, refrain from making statements that might prevent people from posting - it's not fair.

Thanks very much
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 2:01 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

By the way Catch-22 was a good book.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
By the way Catch-22 was a good book.
By Joseph Heller an excellent book - you have good taste.

It appears I'm getting into something resembling a Catch22 with some people regarding this thread
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 2:17 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by catch22
By Joseph Heller an excellent book - you have good taste.

It appears I'm getting into something resembling a Catch22 with some people regarding this thread
The complexity of Catch-22 would be lost on most here anyway.

As for the thread, I`m sure you`ll get most of the answers that you are looking for little by little.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

The complexity of Catch-22 would be lost on most here anyway.

As for the thread, I`m sure you`ll get most of the answers that you are looking for little by little.
When Catch22 came out, people were saying, "Well, World War II wasn't like this." But when the USA got tangled up in Vietnam, it became a sort of text for the consciousness of that time. They say fiction can't change anything, but it can certainly organise a generation's consciousness.

I'm sure I'll get the answers I need - I have been doing considerable research here today and have found many similarities. Thanks for being positive.

Last edited by catch22; Feb 23rd 2009 at 2:54 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 2:54 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

lol indeed - when Catch22 came out, people were saying, "Well, World War II wasn't like this." But when the USA got tangled up in Vietnam, it became a sort of text for the consciousness of that time. They say fiction can't change anything, but it can certainly organise a generation's consciousness.

I'm sure I'll get the answers I need - I have been doing considerable research here today and have found many similarities. Thanks for being positive.
Joseph Heller once wrote "There was no telling what people might find out once they felt free to ask whatever questions they wanted to" Point being, continue asking all the questions you want.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

Joseph Heller once wrote "There was no telling what people might find out once they felt free to ask whatever questions they wanted to" Point being, continue asking all the questions you want.
Sure will Jules. Just concerned that as a newcomer who no-one knows anything about, such a negative remark as 'something suspect about this thread' which is completely unwarranted, will automatically put some people off from giving advice.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 3:21 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have any ideas what area of UK you would like to return to?

I ask because you would be entitled to help from housing associations i think. Especially for over 55's sheltered housing, but i have heard it depends on the area how much is available.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Do you have any ideas what area of UK you would like to return to?

I ask because you would be entitled to help from housing associations i think. Especially for over 55's sheltered housing, but i have heard it depends on the area how much is available.
Yes, I would very much like to be in Cambridgeshire, sort of Huntingdon way. What exactly is 'sheltered housing' in today's terms. I recall when I lived in UK the term covered many areas and many different people - or am I getting confused with something else?

Thanks for stopping by - much appreciated.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 3:43 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Sure will Jules. Just concerned that as a newcomer who no-one knows anything about, such a negative remark as 'something suspect about this thread' which is completely unwarranted, will automatically put some people off from giving advice.
Unfortunately thats the nature of forums, especially when - as in this thread - people are giving info and asking questions from genuine interest, but they aren't havng their curiosity satisfied
Yours seems to be a very unusual story and so people are bound to ask about your background, as you will appreciate when you have explored more of the forums British Expats has to offer.

We do have a Far East forum as well, here, if you wanted to contribute in an area where you feel your story would be more "on topic"

Welcome to our midst, by the way!

=============
For the benefit of some of the other posters on this thread - just becuse someone doesn't open up with their life story staightaway, you don't have to be so offputting. We were all new to forms once, remember

Last edited by Pollyana; Feb 23rd 2009 at 3:47 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Unfortunately thats the nature of forums, especially when - as in this thread - people are giving info and asking questions from genuine interest, but they aren't havng their curiosity satisfied
Yours seems to be a very unusual story and so people are bound to ask about your background, as you will appreciate when you have explored more of the forums British Expats has to offer.

We do have a Far East forum as well, here, if you wanted to contribute in an area where you feel your story would be more "on topic"

Welcome to our midst, by the way!

=============
For the benefit of some of the other posters on this thread - just becuse someone doesn't open up with their life story staightaway, you don't have to be so offputting. We were all new to forms once, remember
Thanks Pollyanna. I do understand the nature of forums, but the Catch22 is if you open up with your life story straightaway alarm bells ring and it seems if you don't they ring as well. I'm not quite sure what makes my story 'very unusual' except perhaps the nature of my work and my reasons for doing it, but that's not the topic of my post.
Personally, I don't think my situation would be more 'on topic' in a Far East forum because my post is not about the Far East, it's about an old guy who's looking for advice re going home
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Will stop replying for now - it's midnight Thai time.
Thanks to all who have responded.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 4:43 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Also, the Rover's Return is a bit more appropriate for the life in Thailand chat, I think.

I admire people who leave the cushy life to work for little pay in rough parts of the world. I'm sure you got a lot out of it, so I wouldn't call it sacrifice, but it's very worthwhile.

Bev
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 4:52 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Something suspect??

I placed some straight forward questions for advice and received a few very constructive answers including your Sans (sorry) and then the topic was taken off thread and I tried to bring it back......

I know I'm new to EP, but what must I do? I can't phrase every word to satisy everyone's curiosity and I really do fail to see anything suspect.

Let me make it crystal clear. I'm an old guy planning to go home and welcome....GENUINELY welcome advice.

PLEASE, refrain from making statements that might prevent people from posting - it's not fair.

Thanks very much
Ok.....i forgive you Just dont ever ignore me again OK ......But your wish to have a thread answering your question only....Will not ever happen, not on BE anyway
Best to just anjoy and chew the fat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.