Reload this Page >

An Old Guy Going Home - Advice Please

An Old Guy Going Home - Advice Please

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

catch22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: An Old Guy Going Home - Advice Please

Originally Posted by cricket1
Reading between the lines, and I am just picking up on vibes in your post, it sounds like you've been through quite a lot, had a few disappointments and perhaps may have retained both some anger and a negative expectation of what may happen in your life and future.

Whatever you've done in your past, whether you've paid 40% taxes, hefty NI contributions, etc, it doesn't relate to now. It sounds like you have an axe to grind with someone, again i'm just guessing, but you know what? Let it go.
Go home and just try and stay open minded to receiving whatever help you need. You will be entitled to medical help for sure and I'm sure you'd receive some kind of financial help, although I don't know anything about the benefit system.
You are lucky if you have a relative, a bed and some support to return to. That's a very good start.

What made you angry if you don't mind me asking?

cricket1 - You are indeed insightful and I appreciate that very much.

The 40% taxes was purely a figure I put down without really thinking about it, but as you quite rightly say it doesn't relate to now...good advice.
I agree with you that it is best to let things go and yes I am lucky that I have a loving daughter and son and I am welcome any time. But obviously both they and I need privacy - so it's time limiting (from my perspective anyway).
I hope I don't need my daughter to 'evict' me in order to get assistance.

I'm not really angry as in ANGRY!!....it's a personal thing cricket and I don't think it would be right to bring the details into this forum.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Heljinder
Wherever you live, your local council will normally have a Welfare Rights Advisor, who you can speak to on the telephone, or will make a home visit. They know the system inside out and will tell you exactly what you're entitled to, as well as representing you if you encounter any problems with accessing benefits.

You shouldn't have any problems though. Britain's health and welfare system is the best in the world, and we're very lucky to have it.

Good luck.
Thanks very much regarding this information, most helpful.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 4:49 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by catch22
cricket1 - You are indeed insightful and I appreciate that very much.

The 40% taxes was purely a figure I put down without really thinking about it, but as you quite rightly say it doesn't relate to now...good advice.
I agree with you that it is best to let things go and yes I am lucky that I have a loving daughter and son and I am welcome any time. But obviously both they and I need privacy - so it's time limiting (from my perspective anyway).
I hope I don't need my daughter to 'evict' me in order to get assistance.

I'm not really angry as in ANGRY!!....it's a personal thing cricket and I don't think it would be right to bring the details into this forum.

I wouldn't worry. We've all done our ranting and raving on this forum at some point. It's a safe way to vent and I can honestly say that most people here are very happy to listen and offer their help. Sometimes it might not be sugar coated advice but that's what you get if you post on a public forum.

Anyway, you must do what you feel comfortable with so if you don't want to talk about your personal stuff, it's fine.
I'm sure once you are back in the UK, you'll be ok. Life has a way of working out for us all. Don't carry baggage though. Drop it and move on.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cricket1
I wouldn't worry. We've all done our ranting and raving on this forum at some point. It's a safe way to vent and I can honestly say that most people here are very happy to listen and offer their help. Sometimes it might not be sugar coated advice but that's what you get if you post on a public forum.

Anyway, you must do what you feel comfortable with so if you don't want to talk about your personal stuff, it's fine.
I'm sure once you are back in the UK, you'll be ok. Life has a way of working out for us all. Don't carry baggage though. Drop it and move on.
Yep, I agree a forum such as this is a safe way to vent and from reading through a lot of threads, I do get the overall impression that a lot of people will offer sound advice where they can.
I wouldn't want it to be sugar coated as long as it's factual or gets one thinking. In fact in just the short time I've been a member of this forum I have felt less isolated, less vulnerable and my brain has moved into second gear.
I will talk about personal stuff at some point as there are other pointers that someone might be able to advise on. However, for now I didn't want to be a boring new member with the expectation that I can unload everything at my first sitting.
It takes time to reach a level of ease with a forum such as this.

Life does have a way of working out and during my 63 years there have been many highs and lows. but yes it does work out.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

cricket1 - You would be about 3 hours ahead of me - right?
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 5:28 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

I am 63 years of age and have lived and worked in South East Asia mostly at subsistence level, with Burmese refugees for the last 7 years.

I have some savings - about 5,000 pounds. During the last two years I have had some serious health problems and now feel too vulnerable to continue my life here. Therefore, I am returning to England and initially will stay with my daughter and son-in-law until I can find something. I have (own) nothing in England, though I'm still registered at my Doctor's and have an up to date UK driving licence.
Can anyone PLEASE give advice to me regarding the most convenient way to link back into the system, including benefits and health cover?

Thank you very much.
Now that's an interesting occupation, how did you end up working with refugees in Thailand and what do you do?

Are these some of the Karen people?
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 6:00 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

It was something that pricked my conscience many years ago, after visiting a friend working for an NGO (with refugees) along the Thai/Burma border area, so I upped and left England for a short time - which has turned into a long time.

I am (was) involved in several education programmes that help focus on community development and capacity building - plus general education. I go into the camps here with the permission of the Thai MOI and I go inside Burma on tourist visas and carry out workshops without government knowledge. However, I'm not naive enough to think that no-one knows what I do. I merely think I'm seen as low threat, do not get involved with politics or political organisations and I actually save the junta money by doing stuff they don't have to pay for (won't pay for).
However, health problems are now making it all very tiring and I need to stop.

I work with many different people's including Burman, Shan, Karen, Karenni, Chin and Mon et al.

I am married to a Karen.
I think you've been with a NGO too long What does community development and capacity building really mean in normal persons speak?

Does the charity pay you or cover living costs? Did you need to have a particular skills set to start doing it?

Oh and yes, BE members are quite nosey
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I think you've been with a NGO too long What does community development and capacity building really mean in normal persons speak?

Does the charity pay you or cover living costs? Did you need to have a particular skills set to start doing it?

Oh and yes, BE members are quite nosey
Be as nosey as you like - I exercise the right to remain silent.
If you're ever along the Thai/Burma border (or in Cambridgeshire) I'll buy you a beer and reveal all.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 6:29 am
Democracy advocate

Be as nosey as you like - I exercise the right to remain silent.
If you're ever along the Thai/Burma border (or in Cambridgeshire) I'll buy you a beer and reveal all.
Actually I have been along the Thai/Burma border, I think it was around 1995 (ish). A friend an I were backpacking in Thailand and we went out for a 3 days hike through various Karen villages. I can't remember if it was from Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai? I do remember sleeping in a freezing cold bloody hut one night. Interesting time.

Thailand was a beautiful place but slightly ruined for us by the fact we were two young(ish) guys travelling together - I expected Bangkok to be full of sex-tourism and we got pestered a fair bit, but I remember being in Chiang Mai (or Rai?) and a local guy seeing two foreign guys came up to us at a temple saying "you want young girls?", to which we were "no, no thanks", and his next riposte was "ah, you want young boys?".

And it kind of went on like that, we were at a beach bar in Ko Samui (sp?) or Ko Pan Yang (sp?) having a cold one, next thing the barmaid jumped up on the bar, took of her/his (you know what I mean) knickers and was wiping his/her hand between her/his legs and trying to wipe it on our faces?

All we wanted was a cold beer.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

Actually I have been along the Thai/Burma border, I think it was around 1995 (ish). A friend an I were backpacking in Thailand and we went out for a 3 days hike through various Karen villages. I can't remember if it was from Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai? I do remember sleeping in a freezing cold bloody hut one night. Interesting time.

Thailand was a beautiful place but slightly ruined for us by the fact we were two young(ish) guys travelling together - I expected Bangkok to be full of sex-tourism and we got pestered a fair bit, but I remember being in Chiang Mai (or Rai?) and a local guy seeing two foreign guys came up to us at a temple saying "you want young girls?", to which we were "no, no thanks", and his next riposte was "ah, you want young boys?".

And it kind of went on like that, we were at a beach bar in Ko Samui (sp?) or Ko Pan Yang (sp?) having a cold one, next thing the barmaid jumped up on the bar, took of her/his (you know what I mean) knickers and was wiping his/her hand between her/his legs and trying to wipe it on our faces?

All we wanted was a cold beer.
Yep, Thailand has ex pats and sex pats....you have to decde where you fit in.
Sorry to keep it short, but I don't want to go off topic, otherwise people might not see my original post as genuine and I really do want the advice - hope you understand.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 6:56 am
Democracy advocate

Yep, Thailand has ex pats and sex pats....you have to decde where you fit in.
Sorry to keep it short, but I don't want to go off topic, otherwise people might not see my original post as genuine and I really do want the advice - hope you understand.
No worries, you'll find that BE is all about off-topic. Make sure you have a good bash at the search function in this part (MBTTUK) forum - most of the things you'll be interested in will have been asked before.

Good luck
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

No worries, you'll find that BE is all about off-topic. Make sure you have a good bash at the search function in this part (MBTTUK) forum - most of the things you'll be interested in will have been asked before.

Good luck
Thanks for your understanding and the information provided.

I REALLY would be interested to chat about Thailand/Burma or anything else but not on this blog as it's asking for specific advice....maybe I might be able to link into another blog?

The offer of that beer remains ongoing.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 8:05 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sans
http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/penret/

Hi check this site out....Its being plastered all over the tv for the last few days.....There is a link to ask direct questions.....
Mmm....Thankyou Sans
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Heljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to behold

Good luck
Is it just me, or is there something suspect about this thread??
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:48 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sans
Mmm....Thankyou Sans
I know the feeling hun. Thats why i have stopped bothering lately

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.