Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Okehampton, Cullompton, Tavistock in Devon

Okehampton, Cullompton, Tavistock in Devon

Old Oct 13th 2009, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

scotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nice
Default Re: Okehampton, Cullompton, Tavistock in Devon

I like Tavi as well but be warned - it rains a LOT
Old Oct 13th 2009, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

Location: Hampshire - Brisbane - Staffordshire and soon Devon :)
SouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud of

That's fine scotty, i love the rain
Old Oct 13th 2009, 11:52 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SouthernGal_67
That's fine scotty, i love the rain
My mum lives in Berre Ferrers which I think comes under both Cullompton and Tavistock? She's spending more and more time back in London now as she hates the small village mentality that comes with living in a tiny village. Everyone thinks they know everything about everybody - what they don't know they make up ... She moved there from London as I had moved from London to Cornwall previously with her only Grandchildren.

I know the Old Inn - in St Breward ... good pub by the way. But I would NOT go back to small village living again either!

If you don't ming being considered an outsider because you weren't born there or lived there for less than 30 years. Or mind people making up what they don't know about you. Then you'll be just fine ...
Old Oct 13th 2009, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

SouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud of

That's interesting.. i hadn't considered the village mentality.. hmm.. maybe i'll start some gossip up about myself and see how long it takes to get back via chinese whispers
Old Oct 13th 2009, 7:56 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Ooops, wrong - she's near Yelverton, Tavistock - not Cullompton. Sorry ...
Old Oct 13th 2009, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

depends on the village not the case where I lived although I live in a resonable size suburb in Wellington its like that and very insular looking
Old Oct 14th 2009, 8:19 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Devon is a beautiful place and great for a hoilday (if you get the weather )

However, if you do want to move there, be sure to have good job offers.
I agree with Valespark: economically parts of Devon are very depressed. Jobs can be hard to come by, and parts of Devon experience the social problems that can come with high unemployment.

That said - if you can get secure jobs, and live near good schools, then it will be a great place to live, particularly if you like outdoors activities

Last edited by Kapri; Oct 14th 2009 at 8:21 am.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

What about Crediton, that's nearby isn't it...anyone got an insight on it and it's high school (QE)
Old Oct 15th 2009, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kapri
Devon is a beautiful place and great for a hoilday (if you get the weather )

However, if you do want to move there, be sure to have good job offers.
I agree with Valespark: economically parts of Devon are very depressed. Jobs can be hard to come by, and parts of Devon experience the social problems that can come with high unemployment.

That said - if you can get secure jobs, and live near good schools, then it will be a great place to live, particularly if you like outdoors activities
Thanks Kapri. I'm beginning to realise that jobs can be hard to come by in Devon having applied for a dozen jobs in the area and not getting even a 'thanks but no thanks' response. It was the same when I came to Australia though. It also seems that many of the positions (at least those I'm qualified for) are temporary. Again that's not only in Devon though it seems moreso there compared to the other areas I've checked out. Something will come up soon though
Old Oct 15th 2009, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

woodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SouthernGal_67
Has anyone lived or moved to any of these places, and can give me an insight as to what they're like please?

Thanks in advance
Really depends what you are looking for and what kind of person you are.I know the areas very well send me a pm if you like and we can chat about your needs
Old Oct 17th 2009, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

So does no one know much about Crediton?