Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Okehampton, Cullompton, Tavistock in Devon

Okehampton, Cullompton, Tavistock in Devon

Old Oct 12th 2009, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

Location: Hampshire - Brisbane - Staffordshire and soon Devon :)
SouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud of
Default Okehampton, Cullompton, Tavistock in Devon

Has anyone lived or moved to any of these places, and can give me an insight as to what they're like please?

Thanks in advance
Old Oct 12th 2009, 6:12 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Okehampton, Cullompton, Tavistock in Devon

Originally Posted by SouthernGal_67
Has anyone lived or moved to any of these places, and can give me an insight as to what they're like please?

Thanks in advance
Out of the three I've only lived in Tavistock - and I'd move back there again given the chance.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

SouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud of

Thanks Flyergirl, what do you like about it?
Old Oct 12th 2009, 12:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

Was offered a job in Okehampton in January, so was house looking down that way.

Tavistock looked ok, but Okehampton is a dump, plus Devon looked pretty sad at that time of year, and pretty poor economically.

And yes, I do like Devon before someone has a go......

Pete
Old Oct 12th 2009, 5:48 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by SouthernGal_67
Thanks Flyergirl, what do you like about it?
Tavistock has expanded quite a bit since I lived there. There are more shops throughout and, consequently, more housing.

The schools there are good, (not sure if you have school-aged kids or not). There is a large park with a swimming pool - admittedly not the best pool out there - and a cinema.

The town is right on the edge of the moors where there is also a golf club if that's something you enjoy. There are plenty of activities to do no matter what you're into plus an almost daily market selling all sorts from hand-crafted goods to foods to toys.

All that and Plymouth isn't too far away with frequent buses into the city if you don't or can't drive.

I don't know what's not to like about Tavistock - my other half, (American) also loves Tavi and would love to live there. As it is, we have to make do with living a few miles away and just visiting in the meantime.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

cousinsandra is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ValeSpark
Was offered a job in Okehampton in January, so was house looking down that way.

Tavistock looked ok, but Okehampton is a dump, plus Devon looked pretty sad at that time of year, and pretty poor economically.

And yes, I do like Devon before someone has a go......

Pete
Hello! My mum lives near Cullumpton in Devon. It's quite a small, dated little town but does have a nice feel to it.It has good shops and cafes, not at all cursed by the bland 'high street' - lots of independent traders. It's surrounded by beautiful agricultural Devon hills - very lush, green, rivers, woods etc. It's not too far from Exeter (10 miles I'd say) which is a very busy modern city these days! Also near Tiverton which has a few more shops. It's a very family friendly area. I think Cully has some okay schools and probably very good value for money housing. I think it's a nice area, slower pace of life etc but I would live there!
Old Oct 12th 2009, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks so much for your comments guys. It's good to hear first hand from people who've been there
Old Oct 12th 2009, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

Tavistock anyday on the edge of the moors the only good things about Okehampton is the access to A30 and Waitrose! Tavi has a lovely feel we tried to buy several houses there 6 years ago but were guzumpted each time can be pricey. Flyer Girl where do you live I see you have the cornsih flag flying just packed my sons up ready for the move, furniture goes in 3 weeks eek! Can't wait to return to Launceston area

Last edited by janeyk; Oct 12th 2009 at 8:25 pm.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by janeyk
the only good things about Okehampton is the access to A30 and Waitrose!
i'd forgotten waitrose! Thanks for your comments janeyk
Old Oct 12th 2009, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

No Problems there is also one in Saltash on the A38 I used to work around the corner from there mmmmmm! feeling hungry already
Old Oct 12th 2009, 9:08 pm
Former Blonde

Flyer Girl where do you live I see you have the cornsih flag flying just packed my sons up ready for the move, furniture goes in 3 weeks eek! Can't wait to return to Launceston area
At the bottom of Kit Hill!

Before we moved here we were in the Launceston area for almost a year and a half.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

wow small world ! Our mad collie loves Kit Hill & Minnions have you ever tried the Race hhorse at north hill?

We might end up as a neighbour then we lived in Bathpool for 5 years and my son went to Trekenner school hoping to put him back there really looking forward to returning watching Escape to the country in Devon & Cornwall makes the homesick even worse!
Old Oct 12th 2009, 9:42 pm
Former Blonde

wow small world ! Our mad collie loves Kit Hill & Minnions have you ever tried the Race hhorse at north hill?

We might end up as a neighbour then we lived in Bathpool for 5 years and my son went to Trekenner school hoping to put him back there really looking forward to returning watching Escape to the country in Devon & Cornwall makes the homesick even worse!
No, I've not been to the Racehorse - now I've had a look at it on t'internet I feel that I've missed something!

I've obviously either been hanging out in the wrong places or working too much! Probably both at any given time!!
Old Oct 12th 2009, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

you must go one of the best pubs in the area its up for sale at present so worth a visit before the current landlord goes wish I had the money to buy it! What Line of wor are you in? Have you discovered the Fat Frog in Liskeard another good place or The Old Inn nr Blisland? If you are a walker there are some fantastic Bomin Moor walking books 3 I remember 6 walks in each thats how we discovered all these places not that I am an alcoholic!
Old Oct 12th 2009, 10:00 pm
Former Blonde

you must go one of the best pubs in the area its up for sale at present so worth a visit before the current landlord goes wish I had the money to buy it! What Line of wor are you in? Have you discovered the Fat Frog in Liskeard another good place or The Old Inn nr Blisland? If you are a walker there are some fantastic Bomin Moor walking books 3 I remember 6 walks in each thats how we discovered all these places not that I am an alcoholic!
I'm a Girl Friday - work in an office keeping the boys in line!

I go past the Waitrose you mentioned earlier, on the A38 at Saltash every day going to and from work, haven't been in there for years though.

And nothing wrong with a well-deserved something to whet your whistle after taking in all those walks - can't beat it after all that exercise!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.