Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Ok to take uk travel insurance for trip back?

Ok to take uk travel insurance for trip back?

Old Nov 1st 2010, 10:55 am
Just Joined

KK Lamb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ok to take uk travel insurance for trip back?

Hi, I'm returning to UK after 10 years living in NZ, and need travel insurance for the return trip (I have to get this as I'm including a trip in India and the company requires travel insurance cover). I’d like to buy travel insurance from a UK based company, as there are much better deals there, and I would also be able to get annual cover based from UK.

The problem I'm having is that I can't work out if a UK policy would cover me for the trip back. The small print on the policies seems to indicate that cover is 'to and from your home' (with 'home' being the UK). Other policies also explicitly state that you have to have been resident in the UK for at least 6 months of the last year to be eligible, which I havn't been. However I am a UK citizen and will be resident there once I arrive.

It seems to me as though the issue may be because the NHS recently changed its rules to state that you have to be 'ordinarily resident' in the UK to qualify for health cover (again the legal definition of 'ordinarily resident' is not all that helpful). However the government health website seems to say that if you are returning to live in the UK and are UK resident you would be eligible for NHS from day one, as long as you can prove your intent is to move back there permanently - which indicates to me I should be covered for insurance as long as I don't choose a policy which mentions having lived there for the last 6 months. I'm still uneasy about it though as if it is invalid my whole India trip would be lost.

Does anyone have any information which could help?
Old Nov 1st 2010, 1:00 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ok to take uk travel insurance for trip back?

I wouldn't worry too much about getting a good 'deal' I'd be more concerned with being covered in India.

I have used www.worldnomads.com - they will insure you even if you are not 'home' and you can nominate the country you would like to be repatriated to if you got very sick/injured. Best to drop them an email and explain your situation to see if you'll be covered but I'm pretty sure you would be.

Also, if you are planning on being a resident in the UK you will be covered by the NHS upon return.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

KK Lamb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tking
I wouldn't worry too much about getting a good 'deal' I'd be more concerned with being covered in India.

I have used www.worldnomads.com - they will insure you even if you are not 'home' and you can nominate the country you would like to be repatriated to if you got very sick/injured. Best to drop them an email and explain your situation to see if you'll be covered but I'm pretty sure you would be.

Also, if you are planning on being a resident in the UK you will be covered by the NHS upon return.
Thanks for that, I've had a look at the Nomads website, and am double checking with them which option I'd be best to select to ensure am covered.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 2:11 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Ok to take uk travel insurance for trip back?

Can't help on the insurance questions but here's a tip I learned from my husband's colleagues who often go to India on business trips and worked for me when I spent almost a month in India:

Drink a glass of Coca Cola every day (not diet coke/pepsi, the 'real thing').

I hate the stuff, but there is so much sugar in it that it helps to resist some of the bugs which cause 'Delhi belly'. It's not going to be a cure-all, but it's worth a try and I was fine. Also check that all bottled water has a proper plastic seal on it (it's common for empty plastic bottles to be refilled with tap water....).

Only eat fruit which is peeled, avoid salads, ice in drinks, ice-cream (although I was ok with brand labelled ice-lollipops eg Wall's). Also I mostly ate only veggie food, had a lot of 'aloo gobi' (cauliflower & potato curry). I also took a supply of multi-vitamin tablets.

Do keep tissues with you as not all toilets have them.....
Old Nov 5th 2010, 3:34 am
Just Joined

Maxx Will is an unknown quantity at this point

Indian hill stations are admired for the radiant waterfalls, plantations, caves and Lakes. Kodiakanal is popular among tourists as of the verdurous forests, monolithic rocks and waterfalls that define the tranquility of the place.