Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

OK The biggie - Can we 'claim'?

OK The biggie - Can we 'claim'?

Old Mar 2nd 2009, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

old fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really nice
Default OK The biggie - Can we 'claim'?

Upon our return, (missus, 3 kids under 16 & myself), can we claim 'benefits' until we find employment again? My family in UK says not as we haven't paid NI for just over 2 years.

No an ideal situation, we would prefer to be going back to jobs and will move heaven and earth 'til we get 'em!!! In the meantime the kids will keep asking for this food stuff.....
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Candy001 has a spectacular aura aboutCandy001 has a spectacular aura aboutCandy001 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: OK The biggie - Can we 'claim'?

Originally Posted by old fat biker bloke
Upon our return, (missus, 3 kids under 16 & myself), can we claim 'benefits' until we find employment again? My family in UK says not as we haven't paid NI for just over 2 years.

No an ideal situation, we would prefer to be going back to jobs and will move heaven and earth 'til we get 'em!!! In the meantime the kids will keep asking for this food stuff.....
Just curious - is this and any other benefits only available if you have paid into the NI?
I left over 20 yrs ago and was not even aware of NI then!
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 1:57 pm

dinner-dash is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Candy001
Just curious - is this and any other benefits only available if you have paid into the NI?
I left over 20 yrs ago and was not even aware of NI then!

yes you can....as long as you have a national insurance number.

just ask the poles who invade the uk, off the boat at dover, straight to claiming dole,family benefit. they even get it paid into polish bank accounts so relies can draw it out of polish atm's......true. i worked with a polish guy who got benefits for 4 children back in poland.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

Not strictly speaking..as you have been away outside of the EU you may be required to prove that you are returning to become habitually resident in the UK again. Although saying this you can quote the swaddling decision which states that from day 1 you are eligible for benefits - income support and housing benefit but the thing with this is that not a lot of DWP staff are aware and still make you sit the HRT..

The Poles are entitled because they are coming from an EU country into the UK.

I know it makes no sense that we as returning UK citizens have to go through this
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 12:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I returned to the UK after just over two years in Bermuda, my husband transferred with his company but I wanted to get Job Seekers Allowance.

You can claim benefit based on income or on contributions, I could not claim income based as my husband was working, but if he hadn't been then I am sure we would have got it. The contribution based claim that I did make was not as clear because contributions need to be recent, the fact I had paid NI contributions for the previous 16 years was not relevant. I was told at my interview that it would go off to be assessed and there was a 50:50 chance that I would get it. I did.

I think not quite the same situation, I don't have kids and husband was at work straight away, but I think you will be ok.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

my brother who did reside in germany ( EU) and has done for the past 9 years went back to the uk last month and went to claim something, anything and they told him he wasnt entitled because he hasnt paid NI contributions for the past 9 years!!!! They didnt give a damn that he doesnt have 2 pennies to rub together..
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

old fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really nice

Interesting!! Thank you posters!! Any more info' gratefully received - Any Ex-DSS staff out there???

Last edited by old fat biker bloke; Mar 3rd 2009 at 12:05 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

Candy001 has a spectacular aura aboutCandy001 has a spectacular aura aboutCandy001 has a spectacular aura about

I don't even remember my NI # - where can I find out - as it was over 20 yrs ago
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Candy001
I don't even remember my NI # - where can I find out - as it was over 20 yrs ago
Have you tried Google?
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

bev2 is just really nicebev2 is just really nicebev2 is just really nicebev2 is just really nicebev2 is just really nicebev2 is just really nicebev2 is just really nicebev2 is just really nice

Hi

Before people call me a scrounger, we had never claimed anything untill we got back from WA. Always worked and paid Thousands in taxes

We had to prove we had habitury rights to calim benefits in the uk and we get job seekers allowance. Thought we would have jobs by now but dont. Things are really bad here and i dont know how people can live on benefits and were living with relatives, we would never cope if we had our own home and had bills to pay
Old Mar 4th 2009, 1:55 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you can claim. I went back last year to start a new job and one week later ended up in hospital with pneumonia. All i had to do was fill in a HRT form which was only 3 pages explaining why i was back and was i staying permanently and other such questions.

Once filled in it was sent off and i subsequently qualified for income support whilst i was sick.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

unrefined_mind is on a distinguished road

After coming back to UK from spending a few years in Oz, the job centre told me I could claim job seekers allowance almost straight away, but a week later - letter arrived in post to inform me that I had not paid any NI contributions in last 2 years, and hence was not entitled to any benifits...

Never did get a penny in support, but was lucky enough to find employment in my trade quickly to pay the rent, etc
Was upset by the fact I have never claimed a penny off the state and have paid tax/NI since leaving school, and the only time in my life I needed a little support I was turned away...

Begs the question, how can people who have been unemployed for over two years in UK claim job seekers allowance, when they have not made any NI contributions themselves.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 6:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by unrefined_mind
After coming back to UK from spending a few years in Oz, the job centre told me I could claim job seekers allowance almost straight away, but a week later - letter arrived in post to inform me that I had not paid any NI contributions in last 2 years, and hence was not entitled to any benifits...

Never did get a penny in support, but was lucky enough to find employment in my trade quickly to pay the rent, etc
Was upset by the fact I have never claimed a penny off the state and have paid tax/NI since leaving school, and the only time in my life I needed a little support I was turned away...

Begs the question, how can people who have been unemployed for over two years in UK claim job seekers allowance, when they have not made any NI contributions themselves.
There is contribution based job seekers and income based job seekers alowance. If you have savings over £12k (or something don't quote me!) or a partner in employment then you won't get income based job seekers allowance. But if you don't have those things then you will regardless of contributions.

The contribution based job seeker allowance is based on recent contributions. I was also out of the country for two years and got it, but it could have gone either way, I think it depended on when exactly the contributions were made in the tax year.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 6:11 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by unrefined_mind
It used to be the case (well, it was the only time I was ever briefly unemployed) that your NI contributions are paid for you whilst you are unemployed...perhaps this is still so? Otherwise all the unemployed would have gaps in their contributions.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old fat biker bloke
Interesting!! Thank you posters!! Any more info' gratefully received - Any Ex-DSS staff out there???
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...rk/DG_10018757

Hope this helps

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.