Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Oh no, i found myself doing it!!!!!

Oh no, i found myself doing it!!!!!

Old Sep 20th 2009, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oh no, i found myself doing it!!!!!

I tend to just grunt because if I say anything at all even slightly meaningful, I get the same old stale predictable BRAINLESS responses and they make me cringe.

I don't think I'm being unfair by the way. I have been a checkout operator in a supermarket. I know what it's like but it is perfectly possible to do the job with your brain turned ON, and talk to the customers as if they are human. I did it for over a year so I don't think it's unreasonable to expect it from people who serve me!

For example:
OPERATOR: "How's you day been, good?"
ME: "Good thanks"
OPERATOR: "Not bad for a Tuesday?" (or whatever the day happens to be. What the hell is that supposed to mean?

or
OPERATOR: "How's your day been, good?"
ME: "Yeah great actually. I just won $10,000 on the lottery. I can't believe it!"
OPERATOR: "Did you want a bag?"

or
ME: "No terrible. My best friend died this morning in a really nasty car crash"
OPERATOR: "What's the weather like outside. Is it still raining?"

or
OPERATOR: "That's good"
ME: "Yes I know. That's why I said it was good!"
(Well I USUALLY stop myself from saying that last line, but not always!)
Old Sep 21st 2009, 7:03 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by backagen
I tend to just grunt because if I say anything at all even slightly meaningful, I get the same old stale predictable BRAINLESS responses and they make me cringe.

I don't think I'm being unfair by the way. I have been a checkout operator in a supermarket. I know what it's like but it is perfectly possible to do the job with your brain turned ON, and talk to the customers as if they are human. I did it for over a year so I don't think it's unreasonable to expect it from people who serve me!

For example:
OPERATOR: "How's you day been, good?"
OPERATOR: "Not bad for a Tuesday?" (or whatever the day happens to be. What the hell is that supposed to mean?

or
ME: "Yeah great actually. I just won $10,000 on the lottery. I can't believe it!"
OPERATOR: "Did you want a bag?"

or
ME: "No terrible. My best friend died this morning in a really nasty car crash"
OPERATOR: "What's the weather like outside. Is it still raining?"

or
OPERATOR: "That's good"
ME: "Yes I know. That's why I said it was good!"
(Well I USUALLY stop myself from saying that last line, but not always!)
Next time I suggest you pick up a smelly kipper and slap them with it.

How dare they be sociable. Bloody heathens
Old Sep 21st 2009, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mind them being sociable, that's a good thing. It's the brainlessness of what they say that I hate.

It's the same old predictable robotic lines every time.

If the conversation was genuine I'd be happy. Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting them to be my best friend, just simply to offer me a greeting that is genuinely friendly rather than forced and fake!
Old Sep 21st 2009, 3:43 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

I don't mind them being sociable, that's a good thing. It's the brainlessness of what they say that I hate.

It's the same old predictable robotic lines every time.

If the conversation was genuine I'd be happy. Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting them to be my best friend, just simply to offer me a greeting that is genuinely friendly rather than forced and fake!
I prefer to be left alone too.

What i hate is when i take things back (clothes) and say i want a refund. They say 'what's wrong with it'...

I say 'nothing, why? hahaha.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
I prefer to be left alone too.

What i hate is when i take things back (clothes) and say i want a refund. They say 'what's wrong with it'...

I say 'nothing, why? hahaha.
I don't prefer to be left alone, I just prefer to be spoken to by someone who is, at least on some small level, using their brain rather than reciting pointless lines at me. I also like them to LISTEN to what I say in response.

I'm sure you were joking on that last bit, but obviously if you take something back for a refund they have a right to ask what's wrong with it. I would think that's a very reasonable question surely?
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 2:00 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

If I was a till operator on minimum wage and in a thankless & boring job, I probably wouldn't give a crap about what kind of day customers were having. I would however be polite and ask them, just to pass the time of day, after all manners cost nothing.

Given I could possibly process 100 customers a day, there's only so much you can ask to make it sound sincere and exciting. And after all the effort you'd probably still only please 50% of customers.

Conversely as a customer, I accept the above is probably likely so don't expect anything other than polite conversation.

They don't know me, I don't know them and neither of us cares two figs - but that doesn't stop us being polite.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 5:04 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

I don't prefer to be left alone, I just prefer to be spoken to by someone who is, at least on some small level, using their brain rather than reciting pointless lines at me. I also like them to LISTEN to what I say in response.

I'm sure you were joking on that last bit, but obviously if you take something back for a refund they have a right to ask what's wrong with it. I would think that's a very reasonable question surely?
Of course, just like my answer is reasonable.

Also if i want help i will ask for help, just don't like being hounded.

Anyway Mags sorry to go off topic. To answer your original question i never found myself pretending to friends and family i liked OZ, i was too honest and told them exactly how it was. It was them who didn't believe me haha.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 12:12 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Of course, just like my answer is reasonable.

Also if i want help i will ask for help, just don't like being hounded.

Anyway Mags sorry to go off topic. To answer your original question i never found myself pretending to friends and family i liked OZ, i was too honest and told them exactly how it was. It was them who didn't believe me haha.
Oh dont apologise , am thoroughly enjoying it

I went into coles after a 12 hour night shift last week and the operator was rude to me i was gobsmacked, ended with me leaving my shopping and walking out, i said to her 'if i can work 12 hours in a hospital and be pleasaint to you, why cant you be pleasant to me at the beginning of your shift', infact, i think i'll leave this and go to woolworths
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 6:21 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3

I went into coles after a 12 hour night shift last week and the operator was rude to me i was gobsmacked, ended with me leaving my shopping and walking out, i said to her 'if i can work 12 hours in a hospital and be pleasaint to you, why cant you be pleasant to me at the beginning of your shift', infact, i think i'll leave this and go to woolworths
Blimey, what did she say???
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Margaret3

I think more people should do that, then the rude ignorant ones might get some sort of message (ether that it's time for them to find a job they're better suited to, or that they need to wake up and start doing their current job properly).

Unfortunately most people couldn't be bothered to complain and just put up with being insulted!