Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Oh no, i found myself doing it!!!!!

Oh no, i found myself doing it!!!!!

Old Sep 13th 2009, 8:54 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oh no, i found myself doing it!!!!!

Was chatting earlier today on facebook to some friends and collegues from scotland and was telling them how great and happy i am here what the hell was all that about

it just sounded so petty to say , well its shite and heres 50,000 reasons why
Old Sep 13th 2009, 9:03 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oh no, i found myself doing it!!!!!

Originally Posted by Margaret3
Was chatting earlier today on facebook to some friends and collegues from scotland and was telling them how great and happy i am here what the hell was all that about

it just sounded so petty to say , well its shite and heres 50,000 reasons why
Dont worry Margaret. I think a lot of us have been guilty of it. It is far easier when trying to have a conversation to just tell people what they are expecting to hear because if you say you are not happy, a million questions will ensue which you just might not be in the mood for.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 1:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, Margaret, the brainwashing is getting to you!
Old Sep 14th 2009, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry about it Mags...it's quite natural....and contrary to what some might say, you won't go blind, break out in spots etc......
Old Sep 15th 2009, 3:40 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Dont worry Margaret. I think a lot of us have been guilty of it. It is far easier when trying to have a conversation to just tell people what they are expecting to hear because if you say you are not happy, a million questions will ensue which you just might not be in the mood for.

yes, yes that sounds reasonable
Old Sep 15th 2009, 3:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Soon after I moved here, I confided in an email to an old friend how unhappy I was...probably the worst thing I'd ever done...etc. The reply came back, "Glad you're all having a great time over there"
Old Sep 15th 2009, 4:33 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Soon after I moved here, I confided in an email to an old friend how unhappy I was...probably the worst thing I'd ever done...etc. The reply came back, "Glad you're all having a great time over there"

I have had that too!

I could not have been more depressed in our first year here. Whenever my MIL or SIL emailed me to ask how we were getting on, if the news was not 100% there was abosultely no reply. It is their dream to move here you see and those rose tinted glasses are fairly welded on.

Margaret - you weren't deliberately lying, you just didn't want to get into the shit, 'but at least you've got the weather, sunshine costs nothing' dross.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 7:01 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps you're trying to convince yourself Mag?!!!

I did it once, just after a trip back to the UK, I went back to Perth so positive and determined to make it work. Well, as you can see, I didn't!!!!
Old Sep 18th 2009, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Perhaps you're trying to convince yourself Mag?!!!

I did it once, just after a trip back to the UK, I went back to Perth so positive and determined to make it work. Well, as you can see, I didn't!!!!
It's a bit like when you go in a supermarket and the checkout operator says "How's your day been, good?". You just know you have to say "Yeah good thanks!", to which the checkout operator will reply "That's good!" (well D'uh, of course good is good!)

If you try being honest and saying your day has been terrible and you're really homesick, 9 times out of 10 the checkout operator will still respond by saying "That's good", so there's really no point.

The same happens if it's a colleague or almost anyone you talk to in Australia, except for the odd intelligent person, and really good friends perhaps. They're all brainwashed, the lot of ém!
Old Sep 18th 2009, 1:30 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

It's never bothered me when checkout workers give me the have a nice day spiel (or "How are ya?"). If I feel like crap, rather than force the lie ("Great, thanks!"), I find "Can't complain" a decent cop-out. At least it doesn't force you to be fake happy-happy, and it's also an honest but acceptable response (they think it's your way of saying "I'm doing fine", but you know you really mean "Can't complain because then we'd have a rather awkward moment and you'd think I'm a weird Brit whiner")

Last edited by dunroving; Sep 18th 2009 at 3:28 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 9:31 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by backagen
It's a bit like when you go in a supermarket and the checkout operator says "How's your day been, good?". You just know you have to say "Yeah good thanks!", to which the checkout operator will reply "That's good!" (well D'uh, of course good is good!)

If you try being honest and saying your day has been terrible and you're really homesick, 9 times out of 10 the checkout operator will still respond by saying "That's good", so there's really no point.

The same happens if it's a colleague or almost anyone you talk to in Australia, except for the odd intelligent person, and really good friends perhaps. They're all brainwashed, the lot of ém!
The checkout operators are told they have to say that to everyone, most probably don't want to and would rather just serve the customers without having to say anything.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 10:08 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
The checkout operators are told they have to say that to everyone, most probably don't want to and would rather just serve the customers without having to say anything.
When Wal-Mart took over Asda, rumour has it all staff were given the Wal-Mart training in greeting etc. Didn't take long for them to realise the great British public did not want to be their best friend forever and would they please get the ***** outta my face. It amazes me to think some snot-nosed promotions manager with a degree from Yale who never ate fish and chips out of newspaper in his life probably got paid big bucks to come up with that grand idea. Bring back the stocks, I say (hangin's too good for them).

OK, I'm getting awful close to sleep-posting again so I better sign off before I get myself in trouble and say something I'll regret in the morning.
'Night y'all.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
Exactly. Sad isn't it that they're not capable of actually saying something they really mean!
Old Sep 19th 2009, 3:05 pm
Account Closed

[

OK, I'm getting awful close to sleep-posting again so I better sign off before I get myself in trouble and say something I'll regret in the morning.
'Night y'all. [/QUOTE]

and i thought i was the only one who done that
Old Sep 20th 2009, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
It's never bothered me when checkout workers give me the have a nice day spiel (or "How are ya?"). If I feel like crap, rather than force the lie ("Great, thanks!"), I find "Can't complain" a decent cop-out. At least it doesn't force you to be fake happy-happy, and it's also an honest but acceptable response (they think it's your way of saying "I'm doing fine", but you know you really mean "Can't complain because then we'd have a rather awkward moment and you'd think I'm a weird Brit whiner")
I just say fu**ing crap and that gets a smile or a laugh.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.