Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Oh how I hate Barclays Bank.

Wikiposts

Oh how I hate Barclays Bank.

Old Apr 7th 2011, 9:20 am

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oh how I hate Barclays Bank.

Originally Posted by pTeronaut
Are you talking about Nationwide Building Society? If so, I'm pretty sure that I would have to be in the UK to get an account from them, and have a residence there also.

Edit: I don't know how I forgot this, but I did use the card between 2004 - 2008 on multiple occasions, in fact I spent £35,000 using it.
Yes, Nationwide Building Society. I don't know if they will object to your not having a UK residence when opening the account, but they didn't bat an eye at changing our address from our UK one to our US one (we signed some paperwork in person for this), or changing it to a different US address online when we moved out of our apartment, or sending us renewed debit cards in the US as needed, or even sending me tax refund paperwork a few weeks ago when I requested it online.

So it might be worth talking to them during your next trip to the UK.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 9:39 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avanutria
Yes, Nationwide Building Society. I don't know if they will object to your not having a UK residence when opening the account, but they didn't bat an eye at changing our address from our UK one to our US one (we signed some paperwork in person for this), or changing it to a different US address online when we moved out of our apartment, or sending us renewed debit cards in the US as needed, or even sending me tax refund paperwork a few weeks ago when I requested it online.

So it might be worth talking to them during your next trip to the UK.
Depending on the bank, changing the address isn't the problem, it's opening a new account, it's pretty hard to do these days if you aren't resident as they ask for proof such as a rental lease agreement, utility bill or letter of employment etc.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

I was mad at Barclays myself earlier this week.

I had changed address (within the US) so wrote to them to inform them of the change.

They sent a letter back saying they couldn't accept the change of address since 'your signature does not match the one we have on file'.

Firstly, what a load of crap, my signature hasn't changed in 25 years. Secondly...(you know what's coming...right?)...guess where they sent the letter....that's right - to the address I just told them I no longer lived at! Fortunately a family member still collects mail at the old address.

In this age of ID theft, that's downright moronic. Fair enough if they don't want to accept my signature....but since I just told them that I'd moved, why not at least try and CALL me first to sort this out.

Ludicrous.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

pTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
Depending on the bank, changing the address isn't the problem, it's opening a new account, it's pretty hard to do these days if you aren't resident as they ask for proof such as a rental lease agreement, utility bill or letter of employment etc.
Barclays required that in '88
Old Apr 9th 2011, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

CandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really nice

You don't need your card to withdraw money from Barclay's when you get to the UK by the way - just drop in to the branch with ID and your account details and they'll happily hand over the money. Trust me - I currently work there.

But.....I don't understand why you need a card.....am the only one that doesn't get the frustration?
Old Apr 9th 2011, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

pTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by CandyBelle
You don't need your card to withdraw money from Barclay's when you get to the UK by the way - just drop in to the branch with ID and your account details and they'll happily hand over the money. Trust me - I currently work there.

But.....I don't understand why you need a card.....am the only one that doesn't get the frustration?
I prefer to pay by plastic, pure and simple. No pockets of change weighing me down after the umpteenth *.99p transaction, no leaving my car unattended at the pump to pay for fuel (and getting a pocketful of shrapnel in return), the rental company will require a card and I don't want to pay foreign usage fees which our current US bank (who also provides our CC) does. Should I get mugged or otherwise mislay my wallet, any outgoings will only be honoured up until the time that I give when I report the cards missing.

Plus when I tell the beggars that I have no change, I won't be lying.

Last edited by pTeronaut; Apr 9th 2011 at 7:36 am.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

CandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really nice

Fair do's!!!

If you have an address in the UK your card should be with you within 2-3 working days. I don't know if you can have one sent to branch when you get to the UK.....

I should know this. But I don't.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 12:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CandyBelle
Fair do's!!!

If you have an address in the UK your card should be with you within 2-3 working days. I don't know if you can have one sent to branch when you get to the UK.....

I should know this. But I don't.
how come the branch can't "print" one up on site? the missus can at her current place.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
how come the branch can't "print" one up on site? the missus can at her current place.
They can't even give out pre-paid reloadable cards on-site either.
Old Apr 10th 2011, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

Barc can't even print out statements there and then, so cards you have no chance.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 7:34 am
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

Don't have an account with Barclays, but their ATMs sure came in handy as far as cash while I was in the UK, as Bank of America with whom I have an account, is tied in with them
Old Apr 14th 2011, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

From what I have read, Barclays had some ownership of Bank Of America, if they had branches in Indiana, especially in Lafayette, I would have opened an account with them specifically for this purpose.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 3:43 pm
MCROW

DeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really nice

From what I have read, Barclays had some ownership of Bank Of America, if they had branches in Indiana, especially in Lafayette, I would have opened an account with them specifically for this purpose.
They do, and if you use a Barclays Debit card at any BOM ATM machine in the US, there's no transaction fee. An interesting thing with Barclays Debit Card is, use it in any other ATM and you get charged by that ATM's owner and by Barclays. However, walk into the bank and give them the card and get them to process it as a credit card and take out cash, there's no charge in the US, just Barclays charge as if in an ATM.
My US bank are used to me doing it twice a month when I take out my pension that's paid into Barclays.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 6:11 pm
Banned

Spanish Steve is an unknown quantity at this point

In '88 I opened an account with Barclays after a bad situation with an overdraft with the then Midlands Bank, an account which I have kept open despite being ~4,000 miles away from my nearest branch.

All has been well, until last year, when my debit card expired. Because I haven't used it enough ( ~2 times since july 08, but the zero times between feb 03 & june 08 didn't seem to bother them), they chose not to renew it. And for me to get a new one, I will have to go to a branch and fill out an application for a new one.

Fine, if I have to go to a branch while I am vacationing in the UK this October it will be to close the account. Or shall I just draw out the remaining balance and leave it empty ? (I have an agreed overdraft, so they may keep the account open for a while)

I think that it is stupid for a bank to not renew a debit card on the grounds of lack of use as it only costs them pennies to press and program the replacement.

Now that I don't have a means of storing my vacation spending money in the UK, and now am prone to fluctuation exchange rates, and my local bank's fees, aside from travelers checks, are they any other means to move money to the UK and have convenient plastic access to it?

Get an fx exchange card. There are free and is a pre paid card and don't any money exchange commission